Clubs - Which, if any?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by StitchUp, Mar 22, 2012.

1. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

So we're new to all this motorhoming glee :BigGrin: and I read an awful lot of the posts on the forum to educate myself and reduce the chances of asking utterly stupid & embarrassing questions :Blush:

At present, I've resisted joining any clubs/organisations simply because I'm unable to make any informed decision. These are some of the questions that come to mind:

1. Do I need to join any clubs/organisations?
    2. If yes, why?
    3. What are the benefits?
    4. Which club/organisation?
    5. What will it cost - value for money, UK touring for next 12 months only?
    6. Will I have to keep my van tidy for inspections :Rofl1: ? I won't be joining that club!

Having fun

John

2. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Hi StitchUp, and :welcome:...

We joined the Caravan Club 3 years ago purely to qualify for their insurance cover and breakdown service when we had a 6.5t Merc self-build - no age/size/weight restrictions. Even with the annual fee this got us cover for over £100 cheaper than elsewhere.

We bought an A-class about a year ago and still get good insurance rate compared to other companies.

We don't stay on sites but if you do the CC's small sites are excellent...

:thumb:

3. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I joined the Camping and caravan Club (£39) When I get back to live in the UK I think I'll be able to arrange insurance through them. Also as they do a really good discount for over 55s I'll get my £39 back visiting the UK this summer.
    I'm very much a learner here too so I think the above is all correct.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi John

if you don't get many replies to this question it's not because members are being rude, but because it's been asked dozens of times.. some quite long threads.. :Smile:

A quick search for 'club' throws up this.. you can try more focussed searching in 'advanced'

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/search.php?searchid=834099

my pennyworth is yes, join one of the clubs if you want to use the excellent network of CLs .. the Caravan Club has the most .. costs £40 annually,.. otherwise .. I wouldn't bother..

5. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Welcome from us in Llantrisant :thumb:

Mike

6. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome
    we are in both the caravan club and the camping and caravan club, never used their main sites in years but have used their extensive cl/cs (5 van sites) also you can get very competitive vehicle insurance, breakdown cover from either club, pet insurance also very good rates, home insurance, travel medical insurance (single trip or annual for abroad),and for travel abroad competitive ferry rates - for the first timer abroad they will plan a trip, book sites and ferries for you, both cubs also have great weekend rallies at very cheap rates and winter sun rallies in Europe for those that can go.
    C&CC do a discount rate for over 55s on their main sites
    both clubs charge around £40 per year - ours is paid automatically through the bank each year

7. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

I am in the C&C Club & we find the Temporary Holiday Sites (THS's) they run are superb. Many are in lovely locations, rarely cost more than a Tenner per Night (many are less) and are used by likeminded people.
    Only thing is you need to be self contained, no leccy hook ups just a Water Tap & Waste disposal normally. You do need to be a Club Member to use these.
    They are Nationwide & tend to run from March to October.:thumb:

8. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

Thanks everyone for your comments, all very helpful but still difficult to decide if I require either. I'll do some more reading.

You're right Jim, I should have searched before posting! Beinging a 'veteran of forums', I should have known the answers were already there. :Doh:

Might bump into you some time Mike as I'm just 2 junctions (J36) along the M4 from you :BigGrin:

Cheers

John

9. scran

scran Read Only Funster

bridgend

Hi and welcome to fun we have relatives from Bridgend :Smile:

10. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

if your really thinking of jioning one club or another, Id look at their web sites to see what sites they have were you want to camp first, no good joining one that has nothing in your area localy

11. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We are a member of both and use their club sites during the winter where many times they can be cheaper than even using CL's or CS's.
    not a lot of them open all winter but some do, so we use them, usually too expensive during the summer months so we use CL's then or use some commercial sites, even those are cheaper than the club sites SOMETIMES!!!!
    Being full timers we dont go for the seasonals as we dont like being in one place for that long anyway even though they are dead cheap.
    Haven has some good deals early and late season which we take advantage of, not many peoples choice I know on here but most of them give free entertainment passes for around £7 or £8 a night per pitch and all are near bus stops which we use a lot.