Cloudy Beer

Discussion in 'Home Brew Enthusiasts' started by daveandsan, Jan 30, 2015.

1. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Bottled some beer a week and a half ago, left it in a warm place to secondary ferment for a week and then put it in the garage to clear a couple of days ago, looked at it today and it has gone hazy.
    I know it wont be ready to drink for a few weeks yet but just wondered why it had started to clear and then gone hazy when I placed it in the garage. Temperature is about 48/50 f.
    I intend to try the keg I did at the same time on Sunday.

2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

So it's gone clear then gone haze one of three things infection or chill haze or could shock.
    bring in two bottles to somewhere room temp levee 24 hrs. to come to room temp if it dose not clear it's not chill haze.

It could be a infection of wild yeast but very doubtful this time of year.

It may just be could shock and the lighter yeast just rising off the bottom this is caused when bottles go from warm to could conditions.
    Lowering the pressure in the bottle through the fluid and the gas contracting and thermal currents within the brew lifting sum yeast off the bottom.
    I would not worry abut it but me personally would be opening one to check it's progress and for any off flavours .
    yes it will be a bit yeasty but you should be abele to tell if it's infected or going off.
    nothing worse than worrying abut your beer if you put yore mind at rest saves worrying abut the rest of the Bach
    bill

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I've almost finished a keg which refuses to clear - but it tastes fine, not yeasty. As Bill says, if it tastes good don't worry, these things happen in home brewing. Just drink it out of a pot tankard not a glass!

And welcome to the new Bill - I missed your Christening. Did Jim immerse you in a font of beer?

• Like Like x 2
  4. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Thanks for your replies, I will bring a bottle back into the house and see if it clears.
    Bill I will know if it has gone off on Sunday when I try the keg as it is from the same batch.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Baycott

Baycott Funster

I had this happen to my second batch. Did exactly the same as you with last resting place in the garage. It wasn't untill I bought a couple of bottles inside for 3 or 4 days that the cleared perfectly. (y)
    Hope your turns out ok
    John

• Like Like x 2
  6. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I have not made beer for years! I do remember tho using a fining agent ....... did you use any?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I
    I think I will be fine :)

8. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I am craking open a few with my son who has just come home on leave just a few hrs ago :cheers:

• Like Like x 5
  9. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I have never used fining in years some are very good but my preference is not to use them I let nature do it the job.
    I find I get a better beer not rushing it each to there own
    bill

• Like Like x 2
  10. rangitira

rangitira Funster

I had that with me Parsnip Wine, it was cloudy, I'd hadn't taken it off the heat before it boiled, simple mistake to make:doh:

It still went down ok:cheers: had an alc of 14%:clap2:and of course wasn't wasted:drink:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

released the pectin haze a pectelethick emzen additive would have sorted it but it is only cosmetic impurity's
    bill

• Like Like x 2
  12. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

I did not use any finings, this is my first brew after a 20 year lay off and I thought I would try it without finings.

13. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Sampled the beer out of the keg on Sunday and apart from being slightly hazy it was fine.
    I also did as Bill suggested and put a couple of the hazy bottles in a warmer place and they are clearing again. (y)

14. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

As bill says - probably chill haze.
    Finings will only clear protein haze - and are used in commercially produced beer simply to clear it fast so it's not sitting on the rack in the pub for more than 24 hours or so for commercial reasons.
    The use of finings will actually reduce the life of the beer (to about 4 months) as they do go off whereas unfined beer properly brewed will last years.
    Many breweries add finings just before the cask leaves the brewery so they can store it longer.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

I am trying not to use finings in my beer as I find it can sometimes take's body and imparts flavours if left on the fining's to long
    brilliant reply Dave
    bill

• Like Like x 2
  16. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

@HappyBrewer IPA tastes fine, just got a slight chill haze but it is better than a week ago, the photo does not do it justice as it is slightly out of focus. The head stays on all the way down the glass.
    Going to brew an APA next. (y) 003.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  17. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

that looks good to me don't chilli so could IPA should not be that could it should be served at cellar temperature, which is between 12-14C.
    aerv it to cold and you will lose most of it's texture and aroma it English beer not American maybe take out of fridge 45m to her before serving you will notes the difference trust me
    bill

18. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

@HappyBrewer Yes Bill it is a bit to cold at the moment in the garage, its been 10C since I put the beer down.
    It should warm up in there in the next few weeks weather permitting.
    I should have put it in the spare bedroom but I don't want to move it now for fear of disturbing it and having to traipse up and down the stairs every time I want a pint, I would be worn out by the end of the night. :cheers: