Cloned ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Had a phone call from our vehicle insurers early evening.

A claim has been made against our Motorhome.

Apparently the vehicle was in a bump in Gloucester on the 14th of January.

The vehicle has not been off the drive since late August when it was taken to DNA for its first MOT and service.

It was then driven home by me and parked up in its space. It has just 15 miles on then odometer in addition to the recorded miles on the MOT certificate. So it could not have been driven to Gloucester because that would have been about 80 miles on the odometer which of course it doesn't have.

Despite this they have recorded an accident on my record and my premiums will be charged extra until it's sorted out.

I have invited either insurance company to visit and inspect the odometer and check the MOT certificate. Further to this I have invited both companies to check the vehicle closely for either damage or repairs.

Our MH is MINT ! it has no dents or marks at all. It is in perfect original condition with original paint. I can irrefutably demonstrate the paint is entirely original visually using my Sun Gun and by measuring the thickness of the paint with my DeFelsko Paint Thickness Gauge. Original factory applied paint is quite thin. Repaired areas would be up to six times thicker.

It looks like the MH has been cloned.....

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Hopefully you can get this sorted out, I am sure you could do without this hassle, If you have legal cover on your insurance could they not help you look into it and sort it out.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hopefully you can get this sorted out, I am sure you could do without this hassle, If you have legal cover on your insurance could they not help you look into it and sort it out.

Daughter is a solicitor.... the main thing is since the end of August the van has done 15 miles as recorded on the MOT certificate. That 15 miles are the miles to drive home here. In order for it to have been to Gloucester on the 14th of January it would have at least another 100 miles.

They even asked me if I could remember what I was doing on the 14th of January. Quick check of the diary showed I was home all day preparing for my 60th birthday party. 14th of Jan was the closest Saturday.

The van anyway was driven by a lady driver. There was no suggestion I was driving it. I am the only insured driver of the van.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Some years ago we had a knock on he door and in came Police wanting to speak to Mrs Funflair, her car a Smart Roadster had been reported during through deep puddles in a reckless manner, it was winter and we had about 8" of snow on the drive so I took PC plod into the garage to show in said Smart in the garage all polished up with his cover on to keep warm.

They said number plate must have been cloned and we might trigger ANPR for the next few months as they would leave a look out for it on the system, didn't matter as Smartie wasn't going anywhere till the roads were dry and salt free.

Martin

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Why is it your guilty before even any evidence has been looked at - fkin discgusting IMO !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Isn't there an engine number or something (is it called the VIN no?) that ties in with the registration number that would prove the other vehicle is the clone?

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Plates on my last car were cloned.
Got a ticket in the post showing "my car" in a bus lane--- took me a minute to realise the letter was from Cardiff. I've not been there since 2004!
I called DVLA who told me to report it to the police. After 1hr plus on 101 I was told to call the DVLA.......
I had to take pictures of my car, showing local parking permit, National Trust sticker and position of radio aerial, send them in post pointing out the differences and that the car did not appear to be the same shape as mine. I also checked my bank statement and found I'd been at a cashpoint an hour and a half before "bus lane" event.
I think an official letter from your daughter, giving them 10 days to view your vehicle, your paperwork etc... is more than generous.
It's a bl***** disgrace this cloning goes on. All I got was a letter from Cardiff saying an operator had made an error ( car clearly showed my plates) and a letter from the DVLA saying they only had one car registered with that number --- mine, so it must have been false plates. Well, no sh** Sherlock.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Had a phone call from our vehicle insurers early evening.

A claim has been made against our Motorhome.

Apparently the vehicle was in a bump in Gloucester on the 14th of January.

The vehicle has not been off the drive since late August when it was taken to DNA for its first MOT and service.

It was then driven home by me and parked up in its space. It has just 15 miles on then odometer in addition to the recorded miles on the MOT certificate. So it could not have been driven to Gloucester because that would have been about 80 miles on the odometer which of course it doesn't have.

Despite this they have recorded an accident on my record and my premiums will be charged extra until it's sorted out.

I have invited either insurance company to visit and inspect the odometer and check the MOT certificate. Further to this I have invited both companies to check the vehicle closely for either damage or repairs.

Our MH is MINT ! it has no dents or marks at all. It is in perfect original condition with original paint. I can irrefutably demonstrate the paint is entirely original visually using my Sun Gun and by measuring the thickness of the paint with my DeFelsko Paint Thickness Gauge. Original factory applied paint is quite thin. Repaired areas would be up to six times thicker.

It looks like the MH has been cloned.....

It may be a clerical error, or a genuine mistake where one of the parties involved has jotted down an incorrect digit from the registration plate. They are normally issued in batches, so a single digit out could easily relate to another motorhome.
If you have the slightest doubt that this is a genuine clone job, I would get the police involved straight away.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
It may be a clerical error, or a genuine mistake where one of the parties involved has jotted down an incorrect digit from the registration plate. They are normally issued in batches, so a single digit out could easily relate to another motorhome.
If you have the slightest doubt that this is a genuine clone job, I would get the police involved straight away.
That sounds like the best advice. Somebody could have written it down wrong !
It all gets sorted out in the end.
How long until your insurance premium goes up til it gets sorted ?
In the meanwhile ask them to give dues consideration to the idea above and check the registration plates with the original dealer who probably imported 15 of them. Get them to see if any live in Gloucester area. Ask them to run their system for partial index search. It starts them on the investigation in the right direction and then when your insurance is due, this is the time to refuse to accept the "knock" and contacting other insurance brokers.
They are just following their set protocol. And always ask to speak to a supervisor...that always helps. In the meantime relax and plan your route

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Charlie, what a load of unnecessary hassle :(. Hope you can get it sorted quickly.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I don't really see it as that much hassle. The vehicle was here on the day and I can prove it. It was the day of my birthday party and I had a friend help me setting things up and cooking stuff ( I do most of the stuff like that as my wife is not well) so I will just let it pan out.

It is this time of the year the insurance for our 3 cars falls due so I will have to pay the increased premiums till they take away my ball and chain.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Good luck getting this sorted Charlie. At least you have a Lawyer in the family.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
If they are forcing you to pay an added amount until they decide you are "innocent" could you not inform them that you will be charging them interest on the extra money at the same rate that Wonga do on their loans ?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
If it's not an error, it's possibly a classic & well known insurance scam, temporarily or permanently clone a vehicle & then engineer a minor prang, then claim against the unsuspecting innocent genuine vehicle owner - many of which will not have the overwhelming evidence proving otherwise as is evidently the case here.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
I had a similar issue with the Fiat 500, when I was called by my insurer asking why I hadn't reported an accident.

After a discussion, they simply said that the number had probably been jotted down wrongly by the other party and not to worry. So I didn't. (Had it come to it I could have proved Swmbo and I were out of the country on the day in question, and nobody else has access to the car).

At renewal, around 6 weeks later, there was no affect on my insurance premium or NCD so in my experience I would agree with @Wargenwolf explanation, and not get steamed up about increases in insurance cost which hasn't (as I understand it) actually happened yet.

Think your approach @Charlie of just sitting back and seeing how it pans out is the right one.

Hope it all works out well for you.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I hate to say this but check that your vehicle is not the cloned one...

Mine was.....:(

Hope you get it sorted as it's a worrying time...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The other aspect is Data Protection. Establish whether the vehicle is exactly the same model as yours. The claiming insurance company should check that before using those details to obtain and use your personal data to pursue a claim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back