Clicking Fridge - Again, work around

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Dave and Ginny, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

On an Aire in Velez Rubio, it's gloriously hot and fridge back to click click clickety click! If I hold gas knob in it stops and burner is lit, but let go and it's off again. I've managed to hold the knob in to keep it going at least till it gets cooler later. Essential supplies (beer) will get too warm if not.

Any harm being done though, I'm wondering?

Dave

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Try turning the temp dial to its minimum (warm) for a few minutes once you get it lit. If we have ours turned right up to its coldest it won't stay lit. (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Can't help , but did the monthly car boot up Velez on Sunday .:)

• Like Like x 1
  4. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Sounds like a dodgy thermocouple to me.

Martin

• Like Like x 2
  5. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

You'll do no harm. Holding the knob in pushes a small valve into position to allow gas flow. Once the gas ignites it heats up a clever device (thermocouple) that provides enough electricity to power a magnet that does what the pushed-in knob is doing. If the gas goes out, the thermocouple doesn't provide power, the little magnet releases and gas flow is stopped. It's worth checking the flame through the bottom vent if you can. It must heat the thermocouple - usually to red heat. Flakes of rust from the flue or a partially blocked jet can often look like a failed thermocouple. Mind you - so can a failed thermocouple :).

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Thanks, seem to work with knob wedged in to have at least kept it cool. Turned off at night for safeties sake. I can't get to see flame or access working parts as no lower vent on outside on our B544, lower vent in floor. I need to take fridge out when home and take a look. Looking back on service history, it seems it's played up and been looked at quite a few times. It's always been tempremental, sometimes if I drive a bit with it clicking it settles and stops! Bizarre!

7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

While holding in the valve manually will get it to work and cause no damage to the fridge..

... it's unsafe to leave it wedged in,

if the flame gets blown out, gas will be building up behind the fridge... next time you try to light it may all go boom !

personally I wouldn't do this.. would rather suffer a warm fridge

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Im with @scotjimland on the safety aspect, if you are a DIY'er have a look ASAP and make it safe.

Martin

9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I think there has to be a lower vent for the fridge to work properly. On the B544 I think you will find it either behind the rear grey bumper or horizontal in the floor underneath.

10. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The safety issue is obvious & turning off at night a useful precaution. The small amount of gas from a fridge that's blown out will disappear via the drop vent anyway. If the 544 is like my 584 it has the lower vent through the floor. Interestingly on mine there is (almost) a lower vent in the conventional place (which on the 584 would be behind the bumper moulding). I say almost because it's there, cut out through the inner skin and insulation, but not through the outer aluminium skin.

11. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Ok only half a Boom!!!! then:rolleyes:
    Thats a Boo still scary

• Like Like x 1
  12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It may not be obvious to everyone reading the post.. hence my warning, and whether the risk is high or low, a gas safety device should never be over-ridden.. if it wasn't required.. it wouldn't be fitted..

If there were a fire and or explosion resulting from it being overridden the insurance wouldn't pay out.. and if anyone were injured, the person who tampered with the valve would be held responsible... loss of life would result in manslaughter charges

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Completely agree with you Jim and I only ran it like that for a couple of hours whilst sat very near keeping an eye on it. It was very hot at the time and food in danger of going off quickly not to mention beers getting warm.
    It did seem to work OK though and If I turned the gas off whilst knob held in it did start clicking again but lit as soon as gas flowed again.

Job to do when home!

• Thanks Thanks x 1