Clear Sky in Staffordshire tonight (1 Viewer)

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Freeeeeeezing with the clear skys (although it is now trying to snow) I thought I'd try something different for a Moon shot. For the techies, I normally do the Moon with a 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6, but wondered what the quality would be like with my fab 80-200 f/2.8 with a Kenko x2 DXG Teleconverter fitted giving 400mm. Wasn't expecting crystal clear plus the tripod I'm currently using isn't up to the job of such a heavy lens (awaiting a new head for a new Manfrotto). However, pretty chuffed with the result.

30th January 2012 by Craig Rogers, on Flickr

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Fantastic clear sky in Gatehouse of Fleet tonight, though very cold.

We're not far from the Dark Sky Park of the Galloway Forest which was given the honour of the very first official Dark Sky Park in the UK.

No street lights or other sky pollution around here, so ideal for stargazing and a great place to visit if you're ever in the south-west of Scotland:thumb:

Broken Link Removed

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Freeeeeeezing with the clear skys (although it is now trying to snow) I thought I'd try something different for a Moon shot. For the techies, I normally do the Moon with a 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6, but wondered what the quality would be like with my fab 80-200 f/2.8 with a Kenko x2 DXG Teleconverter fitted giving 400mm. Wasn't expecting crystal clear plus the tripod I'm currently using isn't up to the job of such a heavy lens (awaiting a new head for a new Manfrotto). However, pretty chuffed with the result.

30th January 2012 by Craig Rogers, on Flickr

Nice photo, I think I can see the Lunar Rover.......

and the batteries still got charge.....:RollEyes:

Nice pic....:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Fantastic picture! I wasn't sure if anyone would notice my post about the Dark Sky Park near us, so just added it on another thread:Smile:

Great night for stargazing.........but a lot warmer indoors!:roflmto:

Margaret

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Nice pic Craig.
Seems like astronomy's 'in' at moment.
This is my 1st attempt on a 150-500 Sigma at 500mm-(lightweight tripod).I was pleased until I saw some pics recently taken by placing a webcam at point of focus in a reflecting telescope by a guy at Cardiff Astronomical society.
Now its 'back to drawing board' ::bigsmile:
Mike.

Attachments

• Moon-2 [800x600].jpg
    Moon-2 [800x600].jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 18

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Freeeeeeezing with the clear skys (although it is now trying to snow) I thought I'd try something different for a Moon shot. For the techies, I normally do the Moon with a 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6, but wondered what the quality would be like with my fab 80-200 f/2.8 with a Kenko x2 DXG Teleconverter fitted giving 400mm. Wasn't expecting crystal clear plus the tripod I'm currently using isn't up to the job of such a heavy lens (awaiting a new head for a new Manfrotto). However, [HI]pretty chuffed with the result.[/HI]

And so you should be, fabulous picture..........Griff

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Nice pic Craig.
Seems like astronomy's 'in' at moment.
This is my 1st attempt on a 150-500 Sigma at 500mm-(lightweight tripod).I was pleased until I saw some pics recently taken by placing a webcam at point of focus in a reflecting telescope by a guy at Cardiff Astronomical society.
Now its 'back to drawing board' ::bigsmile:
Mike.

:thumb: Great stuff! Very similar to my full moon shot from last September! I've always fancied giving the Bigma a go just to see what it's like.

12th September 2011 Full Moon by Craig Rogers, on Flickr

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Just been looking at some of your pics Craig some of them are very artistic:thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We have a clear sky tonight-so,I just had another go-can't seem to get that very pale yellow that I see with naked eye. And,re-sizing seems to reduce sharpness quite a lot.
Mike.

Attachments

• Moon-1 [800x600].jpg
    Moon-1 [800x600].jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Depending on what camera you are using, try changing the metering to spot. As there's a lot of dark around the outside, if it's on matrix then it'll try and lighten it up giving it a different colour. Another tip is to set your WB to fluorescent or tungsten which should make the image cooler. Other than that, it might be a job for Lightroom (or whatever post editor you may have).

Great shot though! :thumb:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Depending on what camera you are using, try changing the metering to spot. As there's a lot of dark around the outside, if it's on matrix then it'll try and lighten it up giving it a different colour. Another tip is to set your WB to fluorescent or tungsten which should make the image cooler. Other than that, it might be a job for Lightroom (or whatever post editor you may have).

Great shot though! :thumb:

Eos 40D-It's on spot already-I think WB is the key,and I should have remembered that digital has that possibility :Smile:
Problem with having a digital camera and a film brain !! I shoot RAW and use Elements 9-but hardly ever use the colour adjustments,so it's probably my lack of expertise ::bigsmile:
Mike.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Eos 40D-It's on spot already-I think WB is the key,and I should have remembered that digital has that possibility :Smile:
Problem with having a digital camera and a film brain !! I shoot RAW and use Elements 9-but hardly ever use the colour adjustments,so it's probably my lack of expertise ::bigsmile:
Mike.

As you probably already know, the great thing about RAW is the WB is stored as a seperate element, so you can easily change the WB afterwards without affecting quality.

Problem with AutoWB, it's, er, designed with a certain purpose..... Correcting yellow-toned skin, which is why it tries to warm everything up.

Moon does look good again tonight, trying to resist the urge to get out in the freeeeezing garden.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Just been outside and had a look, fantastic clear sky with loads to see tonight. We're not far from the Galloway Forest Park, and as there's no other lights around, streets lights etc it is fantastic, really clear.

Fantastic moon, perfect night for stargazing:thumb:

Great photos, thanks for posting these:thumb:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
It's been a while and tonights Moon is amazing again. Took this at Dusk just before it got dark which made it easier to underexpose to avoid highlights, bringing out the detail. Possibly my favorite so far;

5th March 2012 by Craig Rogers, on Flickr

This pic is amazing . So clear and crisp.
I do not know anything about the moon :Blush: , but are the craters and the lines star-ing ( is that a word ) out from them , where meteors have hit ?

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
can't say much other than great photo :thumb:

Clear sky here up the road In the devils county of Cheshire :thumb:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
but are the craters and the lines star-ing ( is that a word ) out from them , where meteors have hit ?

Yes, most of the craters are from impacts a long time ago, the dark spots are "seas". The darker sea on the right is the Sea of Tranquility where Apollo 11 set down.

The Moon facinates me, but born out of frustration knowing it's so close but I'll never get to go there. :cry:

Clear sky here up the road In the devils county of Cheshire :thumb:

Not too far away from you, just south east in Staffordshire. I too am lucky to live away from a bright lights. The sky tonight is awsome. Now that the weather is warming slightly, I'll be setting up some Star Trail photos. Didn't fancy leaving the camera out in very cold temperatures for up to an hour.......

I've just come in from trying something different..... Sort of trying to frame the Moon, not sure I like this, but what do you think?

Chilling Moon by Craig Rogers, on Flickr

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Fantastic photo of the moon, exactly as we saw it in the dark skies of D & G last night too, it's great the difference you get with not having any other air pollution, street lights etc........just total darkness around us.

Wonderful shot! Thanks for posting!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back