Cleaning under Solar Panels

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Revolvor, May 3, 2016.

1. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

I have just purchased all that I need to fit a 100W Solar Panel to my MH.

I intend to secure it using Aluminium Angle, either riveted or bolted to the panels, as seems to be common practice. However, I have been thinking about cleaning the roof after the Solar Panel is fitted, if it is riveted on.

Do any of you have any tips for cleaning under panels .... or is it a case of "Out of Sight, Out of Mind!"

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i fit my panels front to back in banks of threes i only put angle across the front and the rear so i can get a brush under the panels or hose it out
    heres a pic of the first three . i now have another bank of three almost where the two ladder racks are .
    its nice having a wide flat roof to work with though .
    having angle front and rear stops branches etc from hooking under the panels when venturing on tracks etc . yet air can get in the sides and ventilate the panels .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  3. SMB

SMB Funster

I bought one of these from Ebay, also use it to clean the roof drain vents:

20160503_211826.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Don't use bare aluminium directly on the roof. Use anodised or stainless steel then you can attach them without screws. Adhesive eventually lets go of bare aluminium because the oxide layer to which it is stuck absorbs water & corrodes the aluminium. You can also get plastic corner mounts that can be stuck to the roof.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

Wow! @vwalan, you could get a Solar Farm on that roof! Thanks for the advice. Because of the constraints of rooflights, TV Aerial etc, I am mounting the panel transversely, but should still have limited access underneath.

Thanks @SMB. This looks like a good idea ..... I will look out for one.
    @tonyidle, Thanks for the input. I am a bit surprised at your comments, as I have never seen this warning before. I am going to start another thread in the "Solar" section, to explore further.

John

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i did consider fitting 9 or twelve panels . but really 6 x80 is enough to power the fridge or a fridge freezer . washing machine etc . i live in it in winter in spain /morocco.
    in summer i park next to my house and power the house fridge and large freezer for free . also vacum cleaner and other small items . end sept /oct can be trouble some . but then i just disconect and use house mains .

• Like Like x 1
  7. wingman

wingman Funster

I feed an old (soap-laden) microfibre towel underneath my panel and then see-saw it back and forth - washing the towel out when dirty and refreshing the detergent. Mind you, it's easy on my van because I can do this via a large Hekki rooflight.

Like the idea of that 'Basil' brush post above though!

8. Revolvor

Revolvor Funster

In this thread .....
    Thanks for that wingman. I too will be able to access the panel from a large rooflight. Lots of food for thought.
    John

• Like Like x 1
  9. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

I fitted mine on 4 plastic corners ,easy ,neat,and still on.lol