Cleaning the water sensors? (1 Viewer)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Finally got totally cheesed off with the comedy readings and water alarms whenever we turn on the water pump, so I have cleaned the sensor in the fresh tank, which was simple, because there is an inspection panel. The probes were caked in limescale, and after about ten minutes scrubbing with a scouring pad, I now have a sensible reading for the fresh tank.

Now perhaps more complex, I need to do the same for the grey tank, which has no inspection cover, so how on earth do I do it, without completely removing the tank?

I have a horrible feeling that removing the tank is the only way to actually do it - please someone tell me I am wrong!

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I dropped the waste tank on our Autosleeper to clean the sensors, twice. It lasted for a couple of weeks each time before I got the comedy readings again. In the end I disconnected the wiring and emptied the tank every time I filled with fresh water.
Dropping the tank was easy enough, but twice was enough for me.

OP
OP
D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I dropped the waste tank on our Autosleeper to clean the sensors, twice. It lasted for a couple of weeks each time before I got the comedy readings again. In the end I disconnected the wiring and emptied the tank every time I filled with fresh water.
Dropping the tank was easy enough, but twice was enough for me.
There is a really useful screw top, which is right up against the bulkhead, only accessible when the tank is removed. I'm sort of leaning towards tank removal I have to be honest!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The first time I dropped the tank was just to clean it. ( it had already been cleaned by the dealer but again only lasted a couple of weeks. )
The second time was to install a frost heater and to insulate the tank.
The sensors are a very poor design and get get gunked up very quickly.
There was a screw cap at the top, about 6" in diameter, so easy to get your arm in to clean it all out.

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
Our grey water alarm kept going off with only a few litres of water in it. I bulk purchased some citric acid powder and regularly use it to keep the tank and sensors clear of limescale. I no l longer get false alarms.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I suppose it all depends on how easy it is to get at your sensors, ours are in the top of the tank so just lift the floor hatch and unscrew the big 6" dia cap, I guess that's too easy and sensible for some designers.

On our caravan they were just stainless steel bolts into the tank wall via a rubber grommet and then wires attached.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back