Cleaning the fresh water tank (1 Viewer)

Sam

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi All,

I need to do this, I can see some black staining on the internal hose as soon as I remove the fresh water cap. Now I searched the forum and got all the very helpful info (and debate) as to what I should be using and I gather either Milton or a diluted solution of thin bleach should do the trick as long as I run the water through the taps and flush the whole thing through a couple of times.

However one thing I am still unclear about so I thought I'd ask before too late! Once the Milton or bleach solution is in the tank should I not avoid drawing any water from the hot water cylinder?? I imagine when the bleach enters the cylinder it will be almost impossible to flush??

I have mixer taps all round so I would think that even if turned fully to cold some hot water may be drawn??

Sorry if there is an obvious answer to this but better safe than sorry

Thanks in advance

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Sam

Hope the clutch is OK now and you enjoyed your camping.

With regard to the tanks I normally use Milton and flush it through the hot system as well. Fill tank with solution draw water through system by opening taps and pumping till you are sure the pipes are full then leave overnight. Drain system fully fill tank with cold run taps both hot and cold to flush through, I normally run the tank through, if any thing bias more to hot tap when running, if you want to be doubly sure repeat, then you should be OK. Milton is after all safe for babies.

Best of luck

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Not sure of my info here
1623b02fbebe2128aa36b07b10464a96.gif
, but I seem to remember that Milton and bleach attack the kinds of rubber used in FW systems. I believe Whale recommend against its use, as with Sodium Metabisulpha(i)te.

We used Puriclean this year and it worked a treat :thumb:.

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puriclean-cleans-purifies-stored-systems/dp/B0018331N6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1252533506&sr=1-1]Puriclean - cleans and purifies all stored water systems - 400g: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Leisure[/ame]

Probably not the cheapest place to get it, but at least it shows a bit of information about the stuff.

Hope this is of use.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
yep Puriclean, 1 or 2 tabs on every full fill up should keep things in order.:thumb:

ocsid

Free Member
Dec 20, 2008
Funster No
Strictly speaking Milton and bleach will attack the stainless steel of Truma boilers and because of this they don't approve its use.
It causes pitting and crevice corrosion and initiation of attack can start surprisingly quickly; like 24/48 hours where conditions are right.

So if you use these products ensure you dont leave them in the boiler for too long as if its not your lucky day you could do very expensive damage.
Surprisingly even very weak concentrations can still cause a problem, so flush well.

It's not a matter to be too worried about but just don't leave it there thinking the longer the better; bug wise that might be true but corrosion wise it is not.

OP
OP
Sam

Sam

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Hi Sam

Hope the clutch is OK now and you enjoyed your camping.

With regard to the tanks I normally use Milton and flush it through the hot system as well. Fill tank with solution draw water through system by opening taps and pumping till you are sure the pipes are full then leave overnight. Drain system fully fill tank with cold run taps both hot and cold to flush through, I normally run the tank through, if any thing bias more to hot tap when running, if you want to be doubly sure repeat, then you should be OK. Milton is after all safe for babies.

Best of luck

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Thanks Dave!

Clutch is as good as new now:roflmto: Still having gone away in the new camper - due to work, but have booked a long weekend next weekend - can't wait:ROFLMAO:

Sam

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back