LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've been soaking ours for days now, there is still hardened stuff on the bottom inside and I have used almost every cleaner known to humanity.

I don't think it's ever been cleaned before, if I can find the instructions I will remove the mechanism and blast it with the pressure washer today.

Hope I don't break it as we are off for the weekend tomorrow and I don't want to be smelling my "business" all weekend. :hot:
What I would do (and have done) is to fill it with a strong solution of hot water and bio washing liquid and leave it for a few hours, shaking it (not too roughly) and turning it at the same time every so often. That should clear the majority of the stuff.
Once emptied out, put on some rubber gloves, remove the cover & seal and vent and use toilet cleaning wipes and an old toothbrush to rid the mechanism and bottom of the cassette of any residue.
Rinse out a few times then give the seal and vent a good wash in warm soapy water and replace them, smearing some olive oil over the seal to help keep it supple.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Much the same as GJH for me too, I struggle to find an old toothbrush now we use the OralB but what the wife doesn't know she won't bother her :eek:.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Once emptied out, put on some rubber gloves, remove the cover & seal and vent and use toilet cleaning wipes and an old toothbrush to rid the mechanism and bottom of the cassette of any residue.

I'm never sure of why people wear rubber gloves :whistle:. Personally I'm prepared to separate myself from fresh human detritus with a thin sheet of tissue paper (although this is deemed unnecessary in some countries in the Middle East :(). Bare hands allow much better grip and sensitivity (but I'm not offering to do the job for you!).

Last year I observed a camper who put soft cotton gloves on, then long sleeved rubber gloves, just to take his cassette to the disposal point, followed by a degree of washing and scrubbing once he had returned to the van (with the wash water flowing freely onto the tarmac where he was parked).

Anyone want to sample my cooking? - Gordon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm never sure of why people wear rubber gloves :whistle:. Personally I'm prepared to separate myself from fresh human detritus with a thin sheet of tissue paper (although this is deemed unnecessary in some countries in the Middle East :(). Bare hands allow much better grip and sensitivity (but I'm not offering to do the job for you!).

Last year I observed a camper who put soft cotton gloves on, then long sleeved rubber gloves, just to take his cassette to the disposal point, followed by a degree of washing and scrubbing once he had returned to the van (with the wash water flowing freely onto the tarmac where he was parked).

Anyone want to sample my cooking? - Gordon
Perhaps I should qualify that the rubber gloves I use for the job are the thin, disposable type which do not compromise grip and sensitivity but mitigate against excessive cleaning under finger nails :D
When emptying the cassette whilst away and, indeed, when using wipes to clean the van loo thoroughly I use no gloves :D

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Perhaps I should qualify that the rubber gloves I use for the job are the thin, disposable type which do not compromise grip and sensitivity but mitigate

Are we really talking about gloves here? I'm almost embarrassed to read any further. :getmecoat:

BTW, finished my Poo Pot, don't think it had been cleaned out in the last 25 years, there was at least quarter inch of rock hard canker in the bottom and it pronged to high heaven.

After a couple of days soaking in a mixture of descaler/washing machine cleaner (same thing I suppose) lime scale remover/cola & bio washing liquid (Surprised it didn't blow up really :clap2:) and a lavish thrashing with the jet washer I STILL wouldn't eat my dinner off it, but it's spotless and don't pong anymore.

Getting the crank plate lined up with the handle was a bit fiddly as you are working left handed & almost upside down but I cracked it eventually, not literally though.

OOOOH, also applied olive oil to all rubber seals as previously advised by our resident experts.

Don't mind getting a bit of Poo under my fingernails, sh!t luck, good luck they used to say where I was dragged up.

It'll be easier next time.

Reactions: GJH

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Don't mind getting a bit of Poo under my fingernails,

If you scratch a bar of hard soap before you start so you get soap under the nails it helps keep the finger nails clean. :)

Tip given to me by a painter but it works for all jobs where you might get stuff under the nails that you might find difficult to clean ;)

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
Trouble is, who's got a bar of soap the days PD? Can't remember the last time I saw one.

She buys Dove hand wash for everywhere, even in the Moho

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Trouble is, who's got a bar of soap the days PD? Can't remember the last time I saw one.

Always have a bar of soap around even in the moho :) , not only for the nail trick but also for stubborn stains on laundry. I used to make soap but it's been a while.....

I buy bars of nice smelling soap and store them with clothes. If you store soap for a few months it lasts longer.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
You need 1 bottle of the cheapest cola and a bag of ice cubes. empty the tank put the ice and cola into the tank and shake hard, keep pressing the air button to let the pressure out, then empty the tank and flush it out. It will now be clean.:)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Another vote for bio washing stuff. I use the 'tablets' (gel capsules). Ignore current deposits & start using bio. It'll be clean within a week of normal use.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Thanks all for the replies, I am now using bio washing liquid. Only used it the once so far but the toilet smells ok so far. We do have a sog fitted but still got a few nasty prongs now and again. I am hoping the bio stuff stops this.
Thanks again Glenn.

Bowerhill

Free Member
Mar 20, 2016
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Autotrail Scout
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry for being dim - are the Aldi bio tablets/liquid for clothes washing or washing up??!!!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp

I have a supply of imperial leather.. Old man soap ms Tiggs calls it.. but I can't abide shower gel...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Tho
citric acid and also white wine vinegar.. both can be used.. and also for de-scaling the Truma boilers..
Thought about that with my ALDE heating system.....but with my luck the resulting limescale romoval it will leak like a sieve.
Previous owner only used tap water in the system and the heating convectors and pipes are aluminium and 50% scaled.

buckby

Free Member
Sep 6, 2013
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
B&Q brick and patio cleaner works pretty quick when you can't be bothered to wait

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Tho

Thought about that with my ALDE heating system.....but with my luck the resulting limescale romoval it will leak like a sieve.
Previous owner only used tap water in the system and the heating convectors and pipes are aluminium and 50% scaled.
my experience of people filling an alde system with tap water without any stabiliser or antifreeze is that it totally knackers it. as you say, a full descale is very likely to cause serious leaks

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Cleaning your loo thingee!

Reminds me of a very funny "Happening" that happened to me!
So! If you can have a little patience! and can indulge an old fart, perhaps I can be allowed to share this "story" with you.!

We were on "Exercise" (sort of a pretend War) all our "loos" were long drops, a hole in the ground about a spade handles deep. When the unit moved location, the right thing to do was to pour a tinsee whinsee petrol in the hole and set fire to it , before filling the hole in!

With me so far?

Anyway! I was the C O s driver, so!!! had this idea that I!! was above this domestic duty!! Sun Bronzed god like figure, (without the silver highlights and muscular truss , that happened later) Know what I mean?

"Janner! burn out the long drops, and fill 'em in!"
"errmm oi got the ol'mans kit to put in the trailer an'----"
"BURN THE FRIGGIN' LONG DROPS AND FILL 'EM IN!!!"
"YURSE sergentmajor!!!"

So packing one big sad! I grabbed a jerrycan of gas (petrol) and up ended it into the first, then the second then the third and finally the forth, emptying the full 22litres into the four holes.

Muttering furiously, mutinous mutters in fact! I stowed the empty jerrycan into it's holder in the 110 landee .

I, foolishly forgetting about the petrol fumes building up, struck a match and tossed it nonchalantly into the first hole!

HA!! WHOOMPH! WHOOMPH!! WHOOMPH!! WHOOMPH!!, the 4 shitholes went up just like a hit by an anti personal shell,

The trees were covered! the Ground was covered AND I!! THE COs DRIVER WAS COVERED!

A Mate told me later, "It looked so Christmassy! everything covered on loo paper and poo, and you too!"

It took weeks afore I got any respect from those jokers!

"Sniff! Sniff! anyone smell Shit!, oh hiya Janner!"

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I took out the circular part on the top and then used the jet wash on the underside of that and then on the inside of the tank.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back