Cleaning MH roof

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by St piran, May 27, 2012.

1. St piran

St piran Read Only Funster

Is it safe to walk on a MH roof to clean it?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

In a word.. No .. it gets slippy and falling off is not a good idea.. better to use a ladder propped against the side and a long car wash brush with hose.

If your asking can it support my weight then it probably can, but you may damage seals around roof lights and other fittings, not always apparent until the dreaded damp appears.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chipspie

chipspie Funster

I walk on my roof but it has metal sheets put down think this was standard fit on my hymer?. anyone else have these metal sheets on there motorhome?

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The owner's handbook should explicitly state any areas safe to walk on. Assume no otherwise. I have tall stepladders, as tall as the van, and can reach half way across the roof from each side, which makes cleaning relatively straightforward.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if you cant walk on a motorhome roof why then do the makers fit a ladder and roof bars ??????
    has anyone tried tying stuff to the bars with one hand while stood on the ladder...i wouldn't !!!!!

just keep clear of any roof openings and the overcab bulge, as that's usually ABS/fibre glass and wont take much weight.

i wandered around on the kontiki roof and i weigh near on 17st

the RV roof, steel loop frame and fibre glass so i could have a party up there without worry :Laughing:.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Our Burstner ( Hymer group ) has "metal sheets" roof and sides but since I've cut through them a few times I can tell you a sample I have here labelled ROOF is 0.5mm aluminium. Weight is everything in a MH.

I walk on the roof too, no problem.

7. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

I have just spent all day Friday cleaning the roof of my Lunar Roadstar, not an easy job in this hot weather.

I have a long step ladder which enables me to reach to the edge of the roof I can then usually use a long brush and clean the roof, however, on this occasion I had to actually scrub the roof to remove some very stubborn grime.

I climbed onto the roof but placed most of my weight close to the edge so there was some support from the walls. I then stretched across and scrubbed the various areas with a toothbrush, this included all those areas around the rooflights etc where moss and leaves seem to collect. I also put up a small set of steps inside the habitation area and worked through the big rooflight.

Yesterday i spent all day washing and polishing the sides, back and front. She really looks nice and clean now.

Would I like to walk on my roof, in short no, wouldn't want to take the risk of damaging it.

By the way, spending all day Friday and Saturday in the unrelenting sun I ended up with sunburn on my legs and arms.

8. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

I weigh 15 stone and wander about all over the top of our Chausson when cleaning it. I do not step on the overcab though, as this area is not strong enough to support any weight at all.
    No problems to report!

Our old Elddis Autocirrus was OK to walk on too!
    The owners manual said so!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. stcyr

stcyr Funster

I get up on our roof regularly - no problems ... :thumb:

10. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I have no problems myself

I have no problems myself.. I hire a chap from Bulgaria... Yes he is legal... He works very hard and does a fantastic job... Washes all the RV for £50 .. Takes between 3 and 4 hours.. The roof is as clean as the rest f the RV....

My body and roof are substantial fiberglass ... Plus he is not that heavy.

Bob:RollEyes:

11. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

So there you have it, no need for step ladders, long brushes or taking chances,....what YOU need to clean your MH roof, is a lightweight bulgarian. These can be purchased from Johns Cross motorhomes and are in the "cleaning" section or can be bought online but are collect only item due to awkward packaging issues.

Please note, supplies are limited, they only come into stock when one falls from the axles of an HGV negotiating the roundabout nearby,........price is subject to the usual funster discount:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 9
  12. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Made me chuckle

Great... Best post I have read to day... Only problem is when you call JCM they will be out of stock:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob:thumb:

13. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

The construction of my RV roof allows you to walk on it without damage. [​IMG]

14. JayDee

JayDee Funster

On those occasions when the roof of our Dethleffs needs cleaning I always prefer to get up there, and even though Mrs. JayDee is several stone lighter I can't persuade her to do it. :RollEyes:

One thing I always recommend though is to only walk on the roof barefoot. If you are wearing shoes of any sort you would be quite unaware of any grit caught in the sole which wouldn't do your roof much good at all. And anyway bare feet will give you much better grip that any soft soled footwear.

John

15. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

Ours hasn't been washed since the last time haganap did it!! :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Haggers! where are you? :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kay

Kay Read Only Funster

After finding a ladder with pipe insulation leaning up against the side not quite the easiest of ways started to think of something easier, considered a platform but didn't seem that secure and not high enough to make life easier, looked at a cheap tower scaffold but decided against, looked at decent step ladders with side handles for extra stability but they were expensive for what they were and still meant reaching off a ladder.
    Then when walking around bookers the eureka moment struck after seeing the perfect solution to my need not to get soaked and risk falling off a step ladder and break something I need for driving! Once home went on ebay with various search key words and found this at a very reasonable £100 just up the road! Perhaps a bit overkill some may say, but it's also great for the very long Hawthorn boundary hedge as well!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  17. peterpan44

peterpan44

We have a 2007 Knaus A class and I walked on the roof earlier this year. It does state in the manual that that its ok but a week later when in Scotland the roof leaked around the large sunroof. We sealed the sunroof as soon as it dried out later that day. I would suggest if walking on the roof stay away as much as possible from any holes cut into the roof.

Peter

18. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

I'm glad to see you assessed the task iand came up with a solution that was safe and cost effective, keeping the risk rating as low as reasonably practicable whilst demonstrating an awareness of your surroundings and any hazards presenting themselves as a result of your findings.....:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    No really, I would have one if I could store it somewhere:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. rangitira

rangitira Funster

I do take a wander occasionally, but mostly lean [HI]a well padded ladder [/HI]against the roof rim to do any cleaning and polishing

20. Phill D

Phill D

I dont like walking on the roof of our van, it cant begood for the bonding no matter what the manual says. If i have to get on the roof i have an unwanted kids wave board ( The high density foam type ) it spreads the load great and prevenys any point loads from heels or knees.
    I clean the roof from a large step ladder.