Cleaning Hymer Upholstery ..

Discussion in 'Hymer' started by scotjimland, Jul 25, 2016.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

After a four week trip to south of France the van interior was looking a bit grubby.. particularly the upholstery .. dust and sand gets everywhere.. and into everything..

Biggest job is cleaning the upholstery. Previously we had cleaned them with the Vax, but this time I decided to remove the covers and wash properly.. ( except the captains chairs) .

Must admit I was a bit apprehensive...what if they shrunk.. or the colours ran.. ! Examining them were no 'care labels' but they look and feel like a synthetic material.. so unlikely to shrink or colours run..

Nothing ventured.. nothing gained..

First a steep in cold water with bio washing liquid for about an hour. When we removed, the water was filthy... then into the washing machine on a synthetic program at 30c. with bio washing liquid.

They came out looking bright a clean.. and almost dry.. After drying fully, we replaced and they now look like new... really pleased with the results..

NB>>> This may not be possible or advisable with ALL makes of vans upholstery.. this was a 2001 Hymer..

Will post a photo later

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

You are a brave man Jim.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I didn't remove the head-rest cover.. and as you can see it looks dirty compared to the rest of the upholstery..

IMG_0980.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Figaro

Figaro Funster

If its like mine the headrest cover comes off easily and went in the washer with the rest, just velcro fastener

• Like Like x 1
  5. eleanor rigby

eleanor rigby Funster

when we bought our 2004 B674 the upholstery was quite grubby and dusty. I tried to hoover and steam clean but wasnt that pleased with the results. Put the covers in the washing machine on delicate setting and they came out smelling fresh and spotless. However there were signs of fading at the top edges of the sear cushions and now that they are cleaner it looks slighly worse. All zips and fastners are fine