Cleaning exterior of motorhome - How (1 Viewer)

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
Can anyone help me with this...I need an idiots guide to cleaning exterior of motorhome. Im worried I might hurt it... :Doh:

Ive bought so far

• Fenwicks black streak remover
  • An extendable brush (bought from Go Outdoor in caravan section)
  • I have a sponge and some sort of mitt
  • set of stepladders
  • I have some general car wash stuff which I could use for cab

Can anyone point me to a web page, other forum posts, youtube video which can help me clean motorhome like an 'Idiots Guide'

Any help appreciated...

-

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I clean my van weekly takes about 90 minutes and I love every minute. Long handle brush, hose , ladders , alde's caravan cleaner £1.99 (on sale) & leather does the job, lovely jubley. I have to stop myself from cleaning the van next me . Coffee & a few Jaffa cakes , to finish , fantastic

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Water, Black streak rub off, simonioze wash and wax, Soft sponge, leather down, always put a coat of polish on, don't forget the roof, easy if you THINK before you prop the ladder against the body:Doh: COVER THE END OF THE LADDER WITH AT LEAST 2INCHES 0F CLOTH

You'll soon work out a system yourself::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
As this thread has leapt back to life I thought I'd add my bit to the waterless washers. I too have been using the Aldi waterless spray and find it excellent, it cleans well and leaves a good finish. It also means I can do a bit at a time without having to get out old the extras.

Upvote 0

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
I clean my van weekly takes about 90 minutes and I love every minute. Long handle brush, hose , ladders , alde's caravan cleaner £1.99 (on sale) & leather does the job, lovely jubley. I have to stop myself from cleaning the van next me . Coffee & a few Jaffa cakes , to finish , fantastic

Kev if your ever in the North West feel free to come ound and wash my Motorhome:thumb::Eeek:

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
A little tip from me. If you have levelling ramps, put the front wheels on them and as you wash and rinse the roof, all the water will drain off at the back. Less chance of leaving puddles which contain the muck you washed off the roof that will cause black streaks. Then do the rest, lastly the back. No streaks and by now, a dry roof
I use Meguires gold class car shampoo ( because I am an advertisers dream and I just bought it, but it does leave a nice shine) and marine polish, which is recommended for GRP but works fine on the cab

Allan

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi T
I did mine this week, got up on the roof did that first good swill off, then the sides I use Fenwicks Motor home cleaner on both this and my last van,[HI] I was told not to use washing up liquid by the dealers [/HI]so I took there advise, I also use a good wax on the Fiat bit, I hope that's of some help to you other than that just give yourself plenty of time to do it. Pete :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Of course, they don't sell washing up liquid.:roflmto:

I am not keen on vehicle washing, so wait for it to rain.

I have a simple lazy wash for my Discovery, which frequently desperately needs washing. Using pressure washer get the mud off, use the additive bottle on the washer to apply car shampoo, leave a few minutes, rinse off with plain water, then with Bobby Dazzler using a separate (and overpriced) additive bottle and all is well, takes 10mins. No problem with using a pressure washer but don't get too close and use a fairly diffuse nozzle.
I also do this on my motorhome, about once a year, but this takes longer of course.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
these days my preference is to drive to the nearest hand car wash. £20 and 20 minutes later i drive home a clean and shiny motorhome. when im up to it i polish with mer twice a year. this helps prevent the dirt and black streaks from sticking:thumb:

Upvote 0

nickbailey

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Leics
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Chieftain
Exp
since 2005
I'm no expert but you should never wash a M/home using washing up liquid. Assuming the vehicle at some stage in its life has had a polish or wax applied. Washing up liquid will strip the polish/wax or even lacquer and leave it unprotected from the elements. There are plenty of good washing products on the market. I use Autoglym shampoo and conditioner. It removes road grime and dirt leaving a nice shine on the vehicle. Also avoid too much polishing of the vehicle as polish will cut into the paint. Instead use a good quality wax that will seal the paintwork. Auto Glym wash and wax is so easy to apply and leaves a good shine. As for the plastic windows, avoid using dirty sponges or cloths as you will inevitably find circular scratches appearing, instead; plenty of fresh water and soft clean cloth and then dry with good quality absorbent cloth. No doubt there will be comments regarding the expense of these products, but ask yourself how much did the m/home cost ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back