Cleaned the motorhome roof today with..... (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
.....my new Little Giant ladder. Absolutely fantastic bit of kit.
I bought the ladders to take to France to work on our house there. They needed to extend to over 20ft and fold up small enough to go under the rear bed for transporting.
And, a bonus is that they can be set up against the side of the van, without touching it, to give me a safe platform for cleaning the roof.
These are the longest they make, they do smaller sizes that would still give you easy access to the roof.
I got them from Midland Ladders, cheapest place by far....

Attachments

• 16486947356_5bc9f00dd7_o.jpg
    16486947356_5bc9f00dd7_o.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 505

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Looks ideal @AlanM. Does it not pitch forward onto the van when you're up the top? Had a look on their website, but they cost c£250. Is that correct for the 6 rung 'little giant'?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
At the moment I use a multi platform bought from Maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/4x3-step-multi-function-folding-ladder-with-platform-356m-n74ka quite a bit cheaper than some other ladders. When I bought mine they were on special at £50.00 and they seem very sturdy. They replace a similar ladder that I bought in Lidls which lasted three years of all most constant use, they have started to sag now hence the replacement. Thats the old ones in my avatar

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
I used my 3 step ladder to do my van today and yesterday! Usually takes 4 days. One for each side.
Finished today and gleaming thanks to 'armour all'.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I bought the ladders to take to France to work on our house there. They needed to extend to over 20ft and fold up small enough to go under the rear bed for transporting.
And, a bonus is that they can be set up against the side of the van, without touching it, to give me a safe platform for cleaning the roof.
These are the longest they make, they do smaller sizes that would still give you easy access to the roof.
i had a set of those for work 20 years ago i think in those days they were more to buy than that great steps but the downside was the weight

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I had to get on my roof one time whilst away when the Fiamma fan vent started leaking. Ever since then I get up onto it. It's a Hymer mind, built from left over tank parts!

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Looks ideal @AlanM. Does it not pitch forward onto the van when you're up the top? Had a look on their website, but they cost c£250. Is that correct for the 6 rung 'little giant'?
No, they don't move forwards at all, they are very solid and very wide at the bottom to prevent tipping, and yes, they are expensive, mine cost me £255 delivered, but I needed a set that were tall and folded small enough to get in the van, and these were the only ones suitable. No other fold up ladder gets you 21 feet up a wall safely.
Cleaning the van roof was a bonus.
Allan

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009

Ok, when you've finished can you come and do mine??? (y)(y)(y):whistle::whistle::whistle:

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I would buy one as it looks a handy bit of kit. But it looks like it won't form a platform which I need when valeting caravans

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Is it not easier to just get on the roof and clean it when your up there. (y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you Allanm- this looks like an excellent product & now I know what to get Mr Womble for Valentines! We were going to buy a large heavy duty step ladder but this system looks like it does that better & much more for all those jobs around the house :) Having watched the various videos, with your endorsement & the online reviews we are convinced enough to buy one & sell all the other ladders that we have that aren't really that suitable (y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I would buy one as it looks a handy bit of kit. But it looks like it won't form a platform which I need when valeting caravans
You can have a kick out platform (extra accessory) on both sides - even at the same time! Alternatively this system makes 2 step ladders & a plank can be used in between or they have an aluminium plank as an extra too! Have a look at the videos & you might be convinced (brainwashed like us?!) too. We are going for this one plus an extra work platform: Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Thinking about this optional (expensive) aluminium work plank Broken Link Removed
For safety will buy one of these too (cheaper elsewhere online) http://www.midlandladders.com/products/LadderMat_Leveller-537-25.html
Just checking now if Midland Ladders are best price online for these items - have bought from them before & had good service.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I used my 3 step ladder to do my van today and yesterday! Usually takes 4 days. One for each side.
Finished today and gleaming thanks to 'armour all'.

Hi Dazzlin, off ladders subject but did you find that the Armourall marked the plastic trim?

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Thanks Wombles I couldn't afford the ladder and plank but the Laddermat is like the best ideas , so simple yet ingenius. I have just ordered two sets from Evilbay, no joking, but you have probably saved me from a bad injury (y)(y)(y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Midland Ladders are best price at £255 delivered for Little Giant XE 6 Rung but will buy from their eBay shop instead of their website so will get Nectar points & have eBay Buyer Protection as well as Paypal Protection Broken Link Removed .
Ladder Mat bought from Sterck Systems via Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0055R1F3Y/?tag=mhf04-21 at £16.95 delivered ( Midland Ladders £20) - best price that I found (dearer on their own website) & additional buyer protection of Amazon.
Tool-Net http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-400234/little-giant-1303-113-extending-2-74m-work-plank.html has work plank at £120.88 instead of £129 & platform step at £23.43 instead of £29 but do have to pay delivery charge of £6.99 but could work out cheaper overall depending on what is bought.

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thanks Wombles I couldn't afford the ladder and plank but the Laddermat is like the best ideas , so simple yet ingenius. I have just ordered two sets from Evilbay, no joking, but you have probably saved me from a bad injury (y)(y)(y)
Glad it helped - like to help Funsters spend their money! :) Seriously though anything that makes using a ladder safer must be worth a try. We hope to sell all our other ladders (we have quite a collection which will on eBay soon) so hopefully they will cover the cost of the new Little Giant system & much more space in the garage.

Reactions: f6c

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
I will email Midland Ladders to see if they can offer Funster discount especially if buying more than one item as all their items are Free Delivery so surely possible if despatching 2 or more items together? Would be good for us & any other members to be able to place whole order of Little Giant items from this one reputable supplier rather than have to buy from multiple sellers to get the best price :)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Hi Dazzlin, off ladders subject but did you find that the Armourall marked the plastic trim?

It's armourall 'Shield' "even better than a wax"
I use it on all the plastic, even the plastic windows. It turns the faded black new again also. Easy thick liquid to put on and wipe off with a cloth.
I read a lot of reviews and this one works for me.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
It's armourall 'Shield' "even better than a wax"
I use it on all the plastic, even the plastic windows. It turns the faded black new again also. Easy thick liquid to put on and wipe off with a cloth.
I read a lot of reviews and this one works for me.

Thanks for that, I just looked it upon Amazon, £10.95 instead of £19.99 I'm 'avin it(y)

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thank you wombles for the ladder mat link, I've seriously injured both my shoulders through falling from slipping ladders.

|John.
Hope it's helps - bought one ourselves to try so hope it's as good as the reviews claim :unsure:

Dave de

Free Member
Jan 3, 2015
Hants
Funster No
MH
Hi top
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just purchased ours at £95 from eBay Big red and works well for us.
Dave & Julie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Glad it helped - like to help Funsters spend their money! :) Seriously though anything that makes using a ladder safer must be worth a try. We hope to sell all our other ladders (we have quite a collection which will on eBay soon) so hopefully they will cover the cost of the new Little Giant system & much more space in the garage.
You'll like the little Giants, they aren't the lightest, but they come with wheels so you can move them around easier, but I can carry them easily when they are folded.
I also have the Big Red Foot combo ladders (4x3 rung) from BPS Access solutions. Good solid ladders with platforms. Great for decorating.
I used to work a lot with ladders, even had to do regular H&S tests of the ladders my staff used ( BT , many years ago) and will only buy good reputable makes. I would not buy any equipment like that off eBay unless I could verify the quality. eBay has some unscrupulous sellers with cheap badly made tat.
Anyway, glad you are going to get some. If you get Midland Ladders to do a deal, tell them they can send me a crisp tenner as a referral fee!
Alln

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Have sent the email to Midland Ladders so waiting to see what discount they can do for us Funsters before we order. Ladder Mat is on its way so looking good so far for Sterck Sytems via Amazon. Looked at the Big Red Foot ladders & they do look like excellent platforms so definitely one to remember for when we need a higher platform. Currently have a couple of these Abru Blue Seal 150kg rated 50cm high work platforms (£38-47 each B&Q/£45 Amazon) which are good for occasional use http://www.abru.co.uk/en/products/all/work-platforms so in with the Little Giant system we should be all sorted for now :) Will email BPS Access Solutions (Big Red Foot) to see if they will consider offering Motorhome Fun members a discount too(y)

Last edited:

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thinking about it the Abru Blue Seal platforms above do seem expensive :( - the smallest Big Red Foot is £59.99 at 65cm platform height & can be used as a small ladder too so much better value for money so would choose that if didn't already have the Abru ones see http://www.laddersandscaffoldtowers.co.uk/acatalog/Multi-Purpose-Ladders.html

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back