Free Member
Jun 2, 2009
Lifton, Devon
Funster No
MH
Dayvan
Exp
25 years
Maybe you see me as guilty, but I do not like to see myself classified as a 'leech' which it appears I am in some eyes.
I joined the forum after a websearch, and after a short while placed my add. I have been regularly following the various threads with interest and have enjoyed what has been raised, until now I have not felt the need to post. Do you really want to make it a rule that all the community members must post, surely if you would like the community to grow, it is better to leave it as it is so that the forum can be enjoyed by those who wish to remain passive.
I am happy for you to delete my ad after a stated period, in fact when I placed it, I was under the impression that was the case, after 30 days.
Please be aware though that visitors like to nose through the classifieds to assess what is out there and quite often if there is not much on offer they sometimes take it that it may not be worth them placing their add or even not visiting again. Conversely old adds may give the impression of an inactive area, so a happy medium needs to be struck.

Last edited:

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
Hi Wildman, The advertiser has the option to remove it or say its sold. Most members do this, of course the one time visitor does not bother.

I don't really want to charge members, the admin involved would negate any club benefit and it goes against the grain.

The minimum post thing can work but then you get people just posting in the word association thread or adding "me too" to 30 threads to gain the privilege. Maybe I can work out a time element as well. so say 20 posts minimum but also been a member for 30 days. The coding might be beyond me.

Any other ideas?

Having just gone through some of the adverts (for sale) if you considered not allowing postings where there are no photos it looks like it would cut the entries by about 50%. I personally will not make any enqs. about sale items where there is no photo.:Smile:

Kanberlingo

Free Member
May 18, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
10yrs. & 20yrs towing.
I am looking to have a clean out of the Classifieds section as there are a lot of old ads. I have been going through it and noticed that the vast majority of items for sale are from members that joined FUN only to place an advert and have never returned. This means that, unlike a regular member, they never come back to delete the ad or say it was sold, (hence the hours I will have to spend tidying up:RollEyes:) I purchased and installed the classifieds software to be of benefit to the members and I am sure it is, but mostly it seems to be used by people who have no intention of joining the community

What do you think?

I registered with MHFun in May this year, mainly for it's free ad service. But as has already been mentioned in these threads, you do get people returning. I've since used the forum app. 24 times (debating) because I found it an interesting site. But, I don't regard myself as an ardent contributer, simply because I only respond or post-up when I have something to add or comment on. Looking at some of the postings, not just on this site, but others also, silly, pointless comments are offered, which only takes up space.
I know absolutely zilch about running a members site/forum, but of all the forums I am a member of, I can only say the Admin of these sites do a thankless task (in the eyes of some)
With regard to "wiping out some ads" please make sure that the facts are as you think they are, before hitting the delete button. I refer to an email I received on July 1st from Admin saying I hadn't been on the site for some considerable time!!!
Whereas in fact I'd last been on, on the 13th June?
The ad I have running at this time on MHFun hasn't had any responces, but that's not to say it will not get any in the immediate future. I've had responces from other sources many weeks after the ad was first placed.
Keep up the good work Admin (Jim)? I expect you will do what you feel is required.

BeeJay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Not adding anything new, but...

I do like the auto-delete option. As long as the party that places the advert knows that this wil happen, I can see no problem with it.
One forum that I am advertising on sends a message after a certain time to advise that the advert is still there and needs renewing. I imagine that this could be auto-generated, as I suspect the 'where are you' message is. This strikes me as the best of all options.

John

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
I now see what one of the problems is around, I had an enquiry about a item I was selling and took it for granted it was a member making the enquiry. Well strictly speaking they were having registered at the start of August. What I have noted is that they registered made contact purchased and have never come back on the site since. Not even to answer my polite request as to hope they recieved the item ok Do not get me wrong I am happy I sold the item but thought I was selling to a genuine member.

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Another perspective ?

There maybe people wanting items who visit the website and see its benefits and join to search for what they need andstay as members.

Maybe the advert could auto erase in 30 days ? (Maybe a reminder sent out @ 21 days to say the advert is going if not renewed.)

Motorhomers / advertisers may feel that posting on a site relevent to the content of the advert may benefit a users of the site.

Rgds

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I registered with MHFun in May this year, mainly for it's free ad service. But as has already been mentioned in these threads, you do get people returning. I've since used the forum app. 24 times (debating) because I found it an interesting site. But, I don't regard myself as an ardent contributer, simply because I only respond or post-up when I have something to add or comment on. Looking at some of the postings, not just on this site, but others also, silly, pointless comments are offered, which only takes up space.
I know absolutely zilch about running a members site/forum, but of all the forums I am a member of, I can only say the Admin of these sites do a thankless task (in the eyes of some)
With regard to "wiping out some ads" please make sure that the facts are as you think they are, before hitting the delete button. I refer to an email I received on July 1st from Admin saying I hadn't been on the site for some considerable time!!!
Whereas in fact I'd last been on, on the 13th June?
The ad I have running at this time on MHFun hasn't had any responces, but that's not to say it will not get any in the immediate future. I've had responces from other sources many weeks after the ad was first placed.
Keep up the good work Admin (Jim)? I expect you will do what you feel is required.

BeeJay
any forum is only as good as the members who generate something of interest for others to read silly pointless comments are generally under the general heading of FUN, this is motorhomeFUN after all. As for having been on the site on the 13th June are you sure you were actually logged in using your user name? If not then the forum cannot actually see you. I do hope you feel able to contribute from time to time.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back