Classic Hymers ..a good buy ? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim & Jan,

As you know, we love our Hymer. Although we would have preferred a Merc chassis, we would have been fools to walk away from our E690, as it is an ideal layout for us.

Many Hymer enthusiast have told us that the last of the top quality and strength came about at the end of the last decade, and that they feel their newer model isn't as well built as the older ones.
We hope you find what you are looking for. Peter Hambilton often advertises clients MHs too, but not many older ones. Link Removed He is also very good for repairs and advice..........but not cheap.

Best regards,

Jock & Rita.

Hi Jock

and a cracking van it is too.. I was very impressed when we had the pleasure of your company at Mimizan.. :Smile:

I would also prefer a Merc chassis but the older Fiat engines seem to be pretty much bullet proof so I won't make that a 'must' ..

I've been looking at importing one from Germany.. more choice and although not a lot cheaper , many due to the bad exchange rate, the Germans do look after their vans.

look forward to meeting up after we get settled and have a Hymer ..

Is there a secret wave ??? :roflmto::roflmto:

aw ra best

Jim

Last edited:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Is there a secret wave ??? :roflmto::roflmto:

Jim
If there is Jim, it's probably only known to the "elite" mob who purchased from Hymer UK ( Broonfools)
If we were in a position to change, (nothing bettered yet), we'd seriously consider importing too, despite the £ / € exchange rate.
BTW, we didn't like the ugly shaped front of the Hymers, which put us off looking at interiors. That does seem to have been a bit silly on our part now. :Blush:
I really enjoyed reading that PDF file which was posted earlier, and am looking forwards to the factory, and museum visit at Bald Waldsee in September.

Jock & Rita. (Happy Hymies now). :winky:

P.S. Email on it's way soon.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Classic Hymers will always be a good buy, the price reflects the age and running gear may well need replacing but still makes them a good proposition. The older Fiat and Merc engines are bulletproof with the Merc regularly returning 650 thousand miles and Fiat 350 thousand. The Merc chassis win hands down my beast is 27 years old and Chassis never has and never will need welding. The engine is not quiet nor is it fast. But once I have finished restoring it it will be good for another 27 years. New springhanger bushes, complete brake system, master cyl, wheel cyl, pipes, shoes and drums, all now NEW. so the rolling chassis is excellant. The interior build on the older models is not a flimsy as those of today, built to last and last they have, Fridges and cookers can and have been replaced. Heating can leave a lot to be desired. Other than that the overall quality far exceeds todays builds. So with the proviso that it will need work and a check on the milage (the beast is a genuine 100,000km so no way am I going to wear that engine out if I look after it.) Go for it. Ushaped lounge is the most usefull as you can leave the bed setup.:thumb::thumb::thumb: Spend less buying an older model Knowing what you will have to replace than spend more on a recent model that could be unreliable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Myfanwy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2009
Cheddar Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
nine years
Hymer Vans

We have a 1998 S510 and we love it! We have changed the 3 berth interior very slightly for our needs as we live in her all year round. Where the third seat used to be by the bar table (my husband removed it as there are only the two of us) he made a large stool with a hinged lid covered in the same pattern material as the other seats so I can store my tins and bulky items. We still have a third seat but now a useful one and without the large back which was only used before to throw our clothes on! He has fitted outside electric sockets both sides of the van for use when in Spain and France for cooking etc also three extra internal ones. There is little effort in driving up and down France Spain and Portugal as it is also has an automatic gearbox. We fitted warm carpeting inside instead of the lift up mats - much easier to hoover and the housework is done in minutes! We have a small electric oven which is kept in the cupboard under the sink. It is the smallest van made by Hymer but inside it is a tardis to us and we wouldn't change it for anything. It is economical to run and cheap on the ferries (where size does matter) and we can usually park anywhere even on the small Spanish camp sites where there are loads of trees. :RollEyes::RollEyes: Don't forget to give us a wave when passing. There are Betty's on the sides and one on the back.

Last edited:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
I see numerous comments on the older vans having a better build quality..... what is 'old' ie, when did it change ?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
is there a german site for buying motorhomes privately? a bit like our autotrader?

I know about mobile.de but that is 99% traders I think.........

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
We have a 1998 S510 and we love it! We have changed the 3 berth interior very slightly for our needs as we live in her all year round. Where the third seat used to be by the bar table (my husband removed it as there are only the two of us) he made a large stool with a hinged lid covered in the same pattern material as the other seats so I can store my tins and bulky items. We still have a third seat but now a useful one and without the large back which was only used before to throw our clothes on! He has fitted outside electric sockets both sides of the van for use when in Spain and France for cooking etc also three extra internal ones. There is little effort in driving up and down France Spain and Portugal as it is also has an automatic gearbox. We fitted warm carpeting inside instead of the lift up mats - much easier to hoover and the housework is done in minutes! We have a small electric oven which is kept in the cupboard under the sink. It is the smallest van made by Hymer but inside it is a tardis to us and we wouldn't change it for anything. It is economical to run and cheap on the ferries (where size does matter) and we can usually park anywhere even on the small Spanish camp sites where there are loads of trees. :RollEyes::RollEyes: Don't forget to give us a wave when passing. There are Betty's on the sides and one on the back.

Hi Myfanwy,
Are you in Roquettas again this winter?
Heading south mid October I'll call in to say hello again, if you're likely to be there.

Pete:Cool:

robertsn

Free Member
Feb 9, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
1 year
We have had a 1994 B544 for over a year now and love it. Even though getting on a bit she oozes quality. Everything is well thought out and built to last. There's even that slight hint of retro cool about her as well. I get the feeling these models are soon going to become the next VW camper vans. All you need is to be a liitle careful in choosing a clean model and you are away. :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi Jim,
I bought a 1987 Hymer 660 last year. It was owned from 1989 until 2007 by a German lady and I believe it to be in near original condition.
It now lives in Portugal away from the harsh northern winters and while I use my self build for every day life, the Hymer provides me my luxury holidays!
It's Merc engine runs like a sewing machine (and goes about the same speed), everything works and the local garages know all about the ins and outs of the model 'cos they have worked on them for years.
I have been asked time and time again if it is for sale...
The interior build is more to my liking and taste than the more modern versions.
I say "go for it" but then I was looking for five years before I found this one.
JJ

I have been trying to get a friend of mine to buy a old Hymer....

I agree the older Hymers are better than the new ones,...:thumb:

I must say we looked in the new Hymers B class Hymer at the Paris motorhome show with the view of buying one....so we thought we have a look to see if the new 2011 model was any better..........Well we was gob smacked at the quality....also very flat fronted motorhome....and the inside looked like cheap conti board from MFI......

Having spoken to a few Germans on our travels they have not been very happy with the last two years Hymers models...
and we have noticed a few Germans have now purchased and running the Rapido's

what I am saying new is not always the best

We had 4 motorhomes in Mind at the Paris motorhome show....
B class Hymer,..NO WAY would I have purchased this van... :thumbdown::Eeek:
A class Carthago..very very Nice but layout not right.....:thumb:
A class Rapido....excellent, Looked well made inside and out and a more aero dynamic exterior front......:thumb:
A class Pilote Explorateur...another very good van.... :thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I have been trying to get a friend of mine to buy a old Hymer....

I agree the older Hymers are better than the new ones,...:thumb:

I must say we looked in the new Hymers B class Hymer at the Paris motorhome show with the view of buying one....so we thought we have a look to see if the new 2011 model was any better..........Well we was gob smacked at the quality....also very flat fronted motorhome....and the inside looked like cheap conti board from MFI......

Having spoken to a few Germans on our travels they have not been very happy with the last two years Hymers models...
and we have noticed a few Germans have now purchased and running the Rapido's

what I am saying new is not always the best

We had 4 motorhomes in Mind at the Paris motorhome show....
B class Hymer,..NO WAY would I have purchased this van... :thumbdown::Eeek:
A class Carthago..very very Nice but layout not right.....:thumb:
A class Rapido....excellent, Looked well made inside and out and a more aero dynamic exterior front......:thumb:
A class Pilote Explorateur...another very good van.... :thumb:
Rita and I would agree with everything you have mentioned ion your post. Having been to Hymer AG at Badwaldsee, and then to a large Rapido agent, we felt the same as you.
We do like the Rapido Series 10, but we're not in the market................especially at £90,000 :whatthe:

Model range

Cheers,

Jock.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
If all goes well I will have an A class Hymer style van by the end of the year.

RV way to big for me especially as Bruno will mainly be staying at home with the ex.

Anyone wanna RV

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If all goes well I will have an A class Hymer style van by the end of the year.

RV way to big for me especially as Bruno will mainly be staying at home with the ex.

Anyone wanna RV

When I first posted almost two years ago that was also my plan.. however, selling the RV took a lot longer than I anticipated and I never got anywhere near the price I hoped for which meant a change of plans.

Don't delay selling John.. get it spruced up and on the market ASAP .. This is a good time of year, prices fall in winter and with the ever increasing fuel costs there are fewer potential buyers out there.

good luck ..

Jim

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Jim
I've got a Hymer Camp 2003 up for sale, its right hand drive made for the British market, limited edition, see classified, £23000:Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Jim
I've got a Hymer Camp 2003 up for sale, its right hand drive made for the British market, limited edition, see classified, £23000:Smile:

Nice one Ray ...

but as I said, 'plans changed' .. a euphemism for skint :roflmto:

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Blimey Jim, just waded thru 6 pages and was looking forward to the total renovation pictures.... :Doh: ::bigsmile:

Did you ever wander over to Watson Way? I was offered an ex MQ there for £28k and turned it down:Doh:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I saw it was an old posting Jim but this is my plan, need some bit and pieces doing spent a fortune on the RV.

Someone is going to get a steal but she is just to big for just me (Bruno is going to stay at home now) I want something I can store at home as I have now done my drive so can park a smaller van and car on it.:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well on the subject of the older Hymers...in my opinion for touring there are only 2 models, the 534 and the 550.
They are both the same layout but the 550 is on the old Merc chassis and has a one piece fiberglass roof so little chance of damp in an older camper.Also no cam-belt to worry about and can be repaired anywhere in the world with a bed spanner and bike spanner.
Both models have a U shaped lounge and the rear trunk for storage,good visibility all round and under 5.5 metres long so can be parked anywhere and cheap ferry crossings.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
How spooky is this thread since myself and 'er indoors Dawn..(The Boss and all round top bird) spoke about a return to Motorhoming in the next 12 months..we have been looking at..dare I say it CLASSIC Hymers..They look to be the best ones for us and the U shaped layout would suit so I have been checking a lot of the classifieds on most of the Motorhoming sites and even Flee bay to check prices and models
Time will tell and hopefully we can find the right van:winky:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
How spooky is this thread since myself and 'er indoors Dawn..(The Boss and all round top bird) spoke about a return to Motorhoming in the next 12 months..we have been looking at..dare I say it CLASSIC Hymers..They look to be the best ones for us and the U shaped layout would suit so I have been checking a lot of the classifieds on most of the Motorhoming sites and even Flee bay to check prices and models
Time will tell and hopefully we can find the right van:winky:

Fancy being a guinea pig? Nothing in it and nothing bad and no injections - just want to test a reaction.......

Let me know, and I will pm you some questions. Answer honestly and openly note anything you think or feel. It would be appreciated and if I ever get to a meet, I'll buy you a beer! :thumb:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
We bought our 1993 B544 about 2 months ago, and are well impressed with the build quality, there was a couple of issues (which is why it only cost us £6500) namely that it was a pain to get in gear and the leuisure battery would not charge, but by changing 2 fuses and a bit of welding on the gear rod and just had it agreed at £10500 by the insurance people. I work with a German guy who comes from the area that Hymer are located in and he knows a few guys who build them and they all say that the older ones are far superioir quality than the latest ones. The only thing that mine is missing is a swivel seat for the drivers seat (very elusive to say the least).

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
cannot decide.

Excellent .. just what I was looking for :thumb:

1990 hymer with merc engine or 1998 autosleeper legend on a transit. Any advice on which one to buy and own.

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
How do you guys who travel abroad in a classic motor home, do with breakdown cover abroad on older vans like this?
Do you pay it yourself?

When OH was ringing around for insurance, we found most had a cut off point for older motor homes at 20 years. Ours is 1990.

We had a clutch failure in the Pyrenees last November and we were told it would have cost us £100's to get our A class to the garage.
How do you all get cover?
Lucille

ADAC. No age/weight/size restrictions and YOU are covered in ANY vehicle. 97euros for Partnerplus (couple), includes all sorts of extras, medical repatriation etc....

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Apologies for reviving an old post.. and yes.. I am still looking for a Hymer as per first post.. :roflmto:

Where has time gone?

well.. after selling the RV in 2009 we needed the cash to set up home again and also buy a decent car .. so the Hymer was put on hold.. we bought a caravan to tide us over. It is now sold and I'm looking again.. hopefully have one by summer.. but who knows..

The reason for reviving was I was looking for the site with the Hymer history.. floor plans etc.. it used to be hosted on Deepcar Motorhomes International site.. but looks as though they are no longer trading ??

Does anyone have it or know where it might be hosted.. ?

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I realise you may be looking for older versions, but here is a set of layouts from the 2003 catalogue that I have chopped into one file. May be of use.

Attachments

• Hymer Layouts.jpg
    Hymer Layouts.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I realise you may be looking for older versions, but here is a set of layouts from the 2003 catalogue that I have chopped into one file. May be of use.

Hi, thanks.. very useful.. if I cash in my pension I might be looking at them :roflmto:

The pdf on Deepcar's site was very good.. complete Hymer history plus all floorplans, etc..

wish I could find it..

PATTYDOZ

Free Member
Apr 24, 2013
Darwen Lancs
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
hymer

Hi jim
I have just built a panel van conversion
my old camper is a 1992 hymer tramp left hand drive with a u shaped rear lounge
which i want rid off we have had it for at least 12 year it as a 2.5 turbio peugeot with power steering stainless steel exhaust air suspension alloy wheels the van needs a bit of work on it is tested till sept 2014 you can view anytime will be putting it up for sale soon
make me a bid contact on 07876686664

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi, thanks.. very useful.. if I cash in my pension I might be looking at them :roflmto:

The pdf on Deepcar's site was very good.. complete Hymer history plus all floorplans, etc..

wish I could find it..

Try 'The Wayback Machine', Jim.

Deepcar website from 2010

Look at the website from various times in the past. :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread