Class 4 or 7 MOT.......... (1 Viewer)

dug

May 28, 2011
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
ducato maxi tdi 24'
Exp
Hi all,my son has recently bought a Year 2000 Renault Master 2.8 dti 3.5 ton passenger transport ambulance MWB that has a rock n roll bed and fixed table plus two belted rear seats carries 4 including driver,he has taxed it for a year in sept cost £225.00 states PLG with the existing MOT which is class 7.
The logbook ( v5 ) states Motor Caravan which is the same as my Ducato maxi motorhome ,but my Ducato at 3.5 ton is classed as class 4 MOT,so the question is how do I change the Renault from class 7 to class 4 or is class 7 easier ?

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
There is only one place to ask and this is the DVLA. I would say write to them, that way it is logged in the system and providing you do not quote your phone number you will get a written reply. It seems on the face of it that it has been wrongly entered in the test database as from your description of the vehicle it should be class 4. You could also ask the last owner as to why it was tested at a class 7 testing station, he may have just received wrong advice.
Keep the site posted on your outcomes.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Was the van tested as class 7 and then after converted and re- registered as a motorcaravan.. If thats the case then after re classification it only needs a class 4.. Is this the first MOT after the conversion.. ?
Why not pop to a test centre, see what they say.. All the facts point to it being a class 4.. The most important bit is that wording "motorcaravan" on the V5

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dug

dug

May 28, 2011
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
ducato maxi tdi 24'
Exp
:thumb::thumb: The last owner is no longer in the country,i will take it to MOT station with logbook and see what they say ,thanks chaps....Doug.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When I had an 8.4T bus I got it done as a class 4.

All four MOT testers I have used over the last 5 years say they test as the vehicle appears to them. They don't look at the log book or previous MOT class.

Motorhomes no matter what the base vehicle is class 4 :thumb:
If you current MOT tester is refusing to do it as a class 4 change MOT tester.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
The problem is if it is on the DVLA system as a class 7it will come up on the computer link at the testing station. They need to bring up the record using your vehicles registration number in order to issue another certificate I will be very surprised if they then carry on and test it as class 4.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
I converted a motorbike to a trike and the mot tester just updated something on his system and tested it there and then
Did have to go after to dvla though for a change of use inspection to get log book changed over

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
some things can be changed at the mot station.

my rv was tested as class IV which is correct, but the fuel type was listed on the system as diesel.
the tester simply changed it to LPG....pretty obvious it isnt diesel :Doh:

this year he questioned it again...knowing it is LPG/petrol.....it was still listed as diesel but i saw him change it last time.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
some things can be changed at the mot station.

my rv was tested as class IV which is correct, but the fuel type was listed on the system as diesel.
the tester simply changed it to LPG....pretty obvious it isnt diesel :Doh:

this year he questioned it again...knowing it is LPG/petrol.....it was still listed as diesel but i saw him change it last time.

So what you are actually saying is:

It can't be changed at the station.

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
My Ford transit twin wheeler--about 3.5 tons now used as campervan still registered as ambulance is tested class 4

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
MOT tester should know what class he is testing and if the information on the MOT system is wrong can change it. Rule is - is the vehicle to be tested compliant with being built / converted for living ie fitted means of sleeping /cooking/ etc. and preclude its use as goods carrying vehicle ' then its class 4.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
MOT tester should test the vehicle "as presented" which means if it looks like a motorhome to him when presented for test then it gets tested as such and ALL motorhomes, regardless of weight are class 4. You don't need to do anything till the MOT is due and then when you present it for test you simply make it clear its a motorhome and falls into class 4, not all testers are aware of this, especially the newly qualified ones.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back