Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
City bendy buses confuse me.

It is, in effect, a bus and trailer which needs a D+E licence.......the confusing bit is the ENGINE is in the TRAILER while the controls are in the bus.....so is it a bus PUSHING a trailer.

Ah but it is one vehicle, to be a bus and trailer it would be connected via a hitch :)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Ok, as usual lots of useful answers. Was only thinking that one day it might be nice to drive/own a truly massive motorhome, well in excess of 7.5tonnes. Really can't be bothered with the medical for something I don't currently require, but maybe in the future, who knows :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have direct and recent personal experience of this. The C1 license is dead easy to pass if you have driven a panel van before. I passed it after only a day and a half training(2007). I failed the C test on first go though (2015). Anyone who tells you that the C1 and C is the same is wrong and in a major way. They may be the same test but the vehicles are totally different as I learnt to my major embarrassment. I was told the same thing in 2007 but still opted for the C1. I flew through the training and the test.

The test for a C1 is taken in a little panel van or a panel van with a box on the back. Effectively it is exactly the same as a motorhome of decent size. The C test is taken in a proper rigid HGV with either a straight 6 or 4 over 4 box with 5 Tonne of water in the back. This is not the same as driving a big motorhome in any way shape or form. If you have experience of driving a large panel van and are competent and safe the C1 test is straight forward. Driving a 12T TRUCK with a 5T load and a totally different gear box with no protection from dropping into R is a step up....

On the licensing issue. If your friend has a post 97 license and your van is over 3500Kg then she/he will need to pass at least the C1 test. I can highly recommend Data Academy at Leicester run by @motor roamin . I will just point out that my failure on my first attempt at the C was all down to me. I was ill for 2 of the lessons and lost sleep to the point where I felt I was dangerous and handed the keys over to my instructor. My instructor was brilliant and I would recommend the training very highly. I am seriously ashamed of failing but in my defences getting the runs during training seriously dints your chance of passing.

when you do your research, ignore any mention of the CPC (part 2 and 4 from memory) as you don't need to do this if you are not selling your services commercially.... You also don't need to learn about tacho or get the tacho card. Most HGV training companies will assume you want/need this unless you mention up front otherwise.

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
Another one of my rambling, slightly off topic questions. If one holds category C, but hasn't done any of the medicals for years, where would one stand? Is it a case of getting medically certified again and your are good to go?
Holders of HGV licences after the age of 45 the medical has to be taken every 5 years and for anyone over 70 it is every year, so if you retake the medical and reapply for your licence it should be granted.
Don

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
If you are looking to have a medical get in touch with a local HGV training centre as they tend to put you in the direction of a doctor that wont rip you off.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Holders of HGV licences after the age of 45 the medical has to be taken every 5 years and for anyone over 70 it is every year, so if you retake the medical and reapply for your licence it should be granted.
Don
over 70 I think it is every three years actually though bound to be wrong I usually am.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
My son is currently working on getting his C1 license as we've bought a bigger MH. It's costing him £800 plus £75 for the medical. Fortunately he's on a good salary. It's a medical, hazard awareness test, theory test and a 3 day practical course followed by the test.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
@Gromett I have to say, contrary to popular opinion, I always preferred 4 over 4, not driven one for over 10 years now, but I'm sure i'd pick it up straight away. Straight 6, not so sure, I always hated them.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett I have to say, contrary to popular opinion, I always preferred 4 over 4, not driven one for over 10 years now, but I'm sure i'd pick it up straight away. Straight 6, not so sure, I always hated them.
I did my assessment in a straight 6, then my training in the 4 over 4. I prefer the 4 over 4 even though it is harder.

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
Cruiser is quite correct in what he says it is yearly after the age of 65 not 70 as I stated earlier to renew a HGV licence, after I reached 65 the company I worked for arranged the medicals for all our drivers as going to our own doctor was a rip off, the last time I enquired the price my doctor quoted me was £145 and that was a few years ago, for the C1 category up to 7.5 tons it is every 3 years but the HGV class C or C+E it is every year from 65

Daisie

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Selston , Notts
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 vans in 40yrs
When you reach the age of 70yrs you are restricted to 3.500. If you want to drive upto 7.500 then just go to your doctor and get the required medical and whatever form you need from dvla Get this done doctor will probably charge about £80.00. We did not bother as 3.500 is big enough for us two.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
When you reach the age of 70yrs you are restricted to 3.500. If you want to drive upto 7.500 then just go to your doctor and get the required medical and whatever form you need from dvla Get this done doctor will probably charge about £80.00. We did not bother as 3.500 is big enough for us two.
But as highlighted above, the cost of a medical from your own GP is a rip off. :-(

I went to a surgery in P/boro for my HGV/PSV medical, (which is much stricter than an over 70's medical), and paid just over a quarter of what my own GP wanted to charge me. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I cant agree more with you jock , that's why I go to doctors on wheels they only charge£35.
Available by appointment, at a Truck Stop near you. :) BTW, that's a bargain, as I paid forty quid. :LOL:

Apparently, here is one doctor who tours the UK in his Motorhome, just doing HGV/PSV medicals. I wish I was qualified for that job. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
really perfect. but seeing the size of some of the truckers. I think you would need some really good suspension on it

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Do not forget the CPD and other follow ons that they have to do now including Tachograph instruction safe loading etc etc
A driver passing a Category C (or C1) test now would not have to do the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence part of the test if they only intended to drive a vehicle for their own personal use i.e. not carrying goods for hire and reward.

By the way, I agree with those before me that are advising straight to Category C and don't bother with C1 - its virtually the same test so the training is not going to be any less and therefor the training costs are going to be within a few quid of each other (in relative terms!)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Can i ask what might be a daft question

I hold grandad rights so no problem re 7.5 ton but i also hold a full license to drive coach/bus would this cover me for heavier M H
Unfortunately not since the PSV (PCV) licence is for a "passenger carrying vehicle" and not for a goods vehicle which is technically what your motorhame is.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... meanwhile back to the OP's situation .... :rolleyes:

No point in putting anyone else on your MH insurance so long as you have recovery on it that would provide a driver for when the 'only' driver (ie you) were incapacitated for some reason.

OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Than
... meanwhile back to the OP's situation .... :rolleyes:

No point in putting anyone else on your MH insurance so long as you have recovery on it that would provide a driver for when the 'only' driver (ie you) were incapacitated for some reason.
Thxs but the thread is 9 months old now :)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Than

Thxs but the thread is 9 months old now :)
Doh ... I wish old threads didn't get brought back up! :D

Out of interest, what did you do in the end???

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Another one of my rambling, slightly off topic questions. If one holds category C, but hasn't done any of the medicals for years, where would one stand? Is it a case of getting medically certified again and your are good to go?
Yes.

Then I realised the thread was Very Old!!!!!!

Pete

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes.

Then I realised the thread was Very Old!!!!!!

Pete
Pleased to see I'm not the only one who's fallen for this 'old' thread!!! :LOL:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Old thread or not,just thinking outside the box Doh.
If you took a "C/van" towing/instruction course,would this upgrade your licence to the level you want,it must be cheaper,is it a way around the other courses.?
I should know this,but,knowing it would not have earnt me any more MONEY LOL
Tea Bag

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi.
Old thread or not,just thinking outside the box Doh.
If you took a "C/van" towing/instruction course,would this upgrade your licence to the level you want,it must be cheaper,is it a way around the other courses.?
I should know this,but,knowing it would not have earnt me any more MONEY LOL
Tea Bag
I shouldn't think so, as it's just an instruction course, nothing to do with testing your ability for licensing purposes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back