City Water inlet

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by aba, Jan 19, 2012.

1. aba

aba

hi guys
    been thinking of putting a city water feature on my motorhome.
    what does this entail as i have a fresh tank , pump etc.
    would the correct way be to install the inlet through a pressure regulator and non return valve then T into the pump line with another none return valve to stop the inlet going back into the pump and tank then just use the taps as normal with the pump switched off.

thinking about this for long term use on fully serviced pitches for when we hopefully get warden jobs.

thanks in advance.

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you need to be careful of the water pipe connections and taps.

euro vans are usually fed by a pump rated at 14 to 20psi so the pressure regulator would need to be rated at no more than your pump.

i reckon your plumbing idea sounds about right though :thumb:

3. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

a real simple way would be via a ballcock valve, if you have access to the tank job done. Though the rest of the system would still rely on a pump.

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Easily done I would have thought. You just need to bypass your holding tank and have the connection direct to the tank outlet. Rvers use reducers so that the mains pressure does not blow there pipe joints apart.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

never used mine and probably never will.......

don't relish the idea of a pipe 'popping' off when I'm not there or fast asleep......none stop water until you turn off the mains water. :Eeek:

6. aba

aba

hmm i see positives and negatives to this maybe i just need one of those caps for the tank with the hose connector on it and turn it on occasionally.

it was just an idea i was toying with to make life a little easier if i come up with a solution to the busted water pipe scenario then is possibly a goer.

7. madbluemad

madbluemad

I have a city water connection but will not use it for fear of burst pipes. When I use a PRV to lower the inlet pressure the water flow inside is poor.

I just stick the hose pipe in the filler nozzle.

Jim
    :Smile:

8. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

do you have micro switches on your taps??? if so no you can not

9. aba

aba

why not???? explain please

10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I would have thought the easiest way if you can get at the side of your water tank is to drill a suitable hole near the top and fit an ordinary ball valve to it (about £5). Connect your mains water hose to this and this will then automatically refill your tank whenever you use some water. It won't put any extra pressure on the plumbing and will work with a pressurised or microswitch system.

11. aba

aba

had thought about that but the tank is in between the internal and external floors of the van and not that easy to get to.
    i have access to one of the inspection holes but cant get to the outsides of the tank.
    which is why i was thinking of T'ing in to the existing pump outlet as i can get to the cold water manifold.

12. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

What is there to stop the water from continuously filling the tank and dumping the water out via the overflow?

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

The Ballvalve

14. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

He said it would fill automatically when you use some water, no mention of having to keep turning the valve on and off.

15. aba

aba

it would then work like your household toilet cistern.
    fill to a pre determined level then shut off.

16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

maybe were mixing our ball cocks with our ball valves

17. aba

aba

well i knew what he meant anyway.

although you could be right:Doh:

18. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Sorry for the lack of clarity about my cock and ball story. I am not a plumber so may have used the wrong word, but what I meant was like in a WC cistern, fills it up when water level goes down and then shuts off.

It may be possible to get one that can be top mounted.

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Been down this road and it's simpler just to fill the tank as required..

Had ours on mains while working at the pub and the top of a plastic mixer tap blew off in the kitchen.. what a mess.. replaced same with a proper brass domestic one..

The so called pressure reducers sold by RV shops reduce the flow to almost a trickle.. I say 'so called' as they are not pressure regulators, but flow reducers.. not worth a light.. stay well clear of them.

If you go the city water way you need to source and fit a proper pressure regulator, an isolating valve for the pump and a check valve.. Olley has done this, he could tell you where he bought the pressure regulator..

Personally I don't think it's worth it.. easier just to fill the tank each day .. Also, come winter (if you are still wardens) the fresh hose will freeze if left out.. then you need a flat hose you can coil up and store out of the cold.. if it's really cold the site tap will probably freeze.. then you need a watering can and long legs ... the joys of winter motorhoming.. :Laughing:

20. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

Well, just to add the 'other' side, we've used our city water a few times, with a pressure reducer widget and it was great, pressure spot on and thankfully, reading through some of these posts, no issues. Very odd though, you get used to the pump running when you turn on a tap or flush the loo and obviously no pump, it's, well like magic:Rofl1:

I do see the alarmist point of view though, and VERY good food for thought folks:thumb:

We've been at this game 6 years and are only just starting to remember to turn the pump off when we leave the 'van:Doh:

• Like Like x 1