Circuit breaker tripping out?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by hailman, May 19, 2010.

1. hailman

hailman Read Only Funster

For some unknown reason the circuit breaker is tripping out when plugged into the mains. This has just happened today, sod`s law as I am going away tomorrow! :Angry:.

I have just come back from France where it worked perfectly and is normally on hook up when in storage with no previous problems. I brought the van home today to load up and get the fridge on but as soon as I plugged the hook up cable in the trip went off.

The only thing I have done is to wash the van today. I have looked for traces of water in the hook up socket but it looks as dry as a dry thing.

Any ideas ?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

assuming you mean the trip in the van.....turn all the other circuits/trips off except the main one then turn each breaker on in turn and see which trips the main RCD.

if it trips with nothing else turned on then get it checked as there is an earth fault between the socket and fuse box.

if you mean the house trip then plug something else in the socket you are using and see if it still trips.
    if it doesnt it could be a faulty hookup lead.
    unhook from the van and plug the lead into the house socket and see if it trips.
    if it does its a faulty lead.

if it doesnt....turn off the main switch in the van, plug into the house socket and the van then turn on the main switch in the van.

it could then be a faulty charger ect causing it to trip.

3. hailman

It is the trip in the van that is going off.

I made a new lead and it is still the same, trip in house is fine.

When you say `main switch` I assume you mean the switch on the fuse board/control unit ? The van is a Burstner Delphin with the `E control panel` which appears to be working fine.

4. Simannjo

Simannjo Read Only Funster

Hi hailman,

Can you post a photo of fusebox / control panel and all its switches, let us know which is tripping... and we'll go from there.

Sim

5. hailman

Tried switching off main board in van, so no appliances running and it still sets the trip off. The trip will stay on if there is no supply to the hook up. Still baffled.

6. Simannjo

Simannjo Read Only Funster

Before I can point you in any direction I need to ascertain exactly whats tripping, what you have and where it all is...:Smile:

So...

Is the main switch in the van an RCD? (It'll have a small test button on the front of it)
    Is the switch that's tripping the RCD or one of the smaller circuit breakers?
    If a circuit breaker, what size is it (in amps i.e B6 B10 B16 B20 etc)

Pics tell a thousand words...

Sim

7. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

As per above, more info needed and get back to basics.

I'm just going to add one of my breakers was "buzzing" for a while and tripping for no reason. Turned out the actual MCB had failed. Bought 2x on ebay (1 to fit and 1 as spare) and all okay.

Fortunaltey everything on the fuse when it failed was also powerable by gas. Phew!

8. pappajohn

sounds like a faulty RCD main switch in the vans fuse board.

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I agree,

to prove, with the EHU cable unplugged from the house supply, disconnect the outgoing pair from the RCD and retry .. If it still trips it's definitely faulty..

10. pappajohn

but only if you know what you're doing. !!!!!!

11. scotjimland

Of course John, but that applies to nearly all the advice given about leccy or gas on any forum ..

Are you saying we shouldn't ?

Of course, you could argue that members wouldn't need to ask if they were competent .. but if they were competent they wouldn't need to ask.. :Doh:

a rock and a hard place comes to mind.

perhaps a stock answer should be

Don't ask if your not sure about what you are doing ..

12. pappajohn

even though its common sense Jim, a timely reminder is always worth a mention.

all too easy to put things back wrongly if you're unsure what you are doing.

gas explodes....leccy bites !

13. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

If it is the RCD that is tripping (sounds like it) unplug/disconnect each item that is connected to mains probably the fridge, battery charger & heater then plug each one back in one at a time to find out what is tripping it. Most likley to be the fridge or heater element faulty.

Switching off is not good enough unless you know your switches are double pole an RCD will often still trip if there is a leakage between neutral & earth (it depends how far you are from sub station/transformer & how much neutral is floating above earth).

14. scotjimland

Quite so John, no argument there, but do we really want to start another thread on reverse polarity :Laughing:

15. pappajohn

no !!!!!!!!

16. pappajohn

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO :Rofl1:

17. vwalan

vwalan Funster

whats reverse polarity. is it when the world turns up side down and we become australia?:Rofl1:

18. hailman

Just back from a few days away, including Newbury show on Sunday, so I will investigate further today.
    Thanks for the replies so far, if I can`t work it out I will get an electrician ! :BigGrin:

19. hailman

Well :Confused:, whilst at Newbury I bought a new hook up socket as mine had gone an awful creamy colour. Fitted that this morning and all systems are A OK.

Not sure if the old unit was faulty, or had got some water in somewhere, or what?

So, panic over!:thanks2:

20. hailman

Hmmm, need to revive this thread as it has just happened again !

Van has been fine for over a year, sod`s law raises it`s ugly head as I am off to Holland tomorrow to work for 2 weeks. Unhooked the van from my workshop supply where I store it, took across to a mate`s garage to give it a wash, bought it home so I could load my pants and tins of beans, plugged it in to get the fridge working and the bloody trip has gone off again! :Doh:

Only thing I have done is to wash the thing, must be some water getting into a connection somewhere, what do you think?

Not looking forward to 2 weeks with no leccy. :cry: