gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
hello all hope you can help me my 54 plate fiat ducato motorhome has 2 cigertte light sockets which both are disabled when ignition is off i need to have one permant live so i can plug in my solar panel trickle charger to keep battery topped up does any one now how i can do this thanks all

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
hello all hope you can help me my 54 plate fiat ducato motorhome has 2 cigertte light sockets which both are disabled when ignition is off i need to have one permant live so i can plug in my solar panel trickle charger to keep battery topped up does any one now how i can do this thanks all

Simplest non teccy solution
Remove existing feed from rear and tape up conector. and run a new healthy cable direct to the battery (Van or Leisure battery your choice) fused of course
It will be said you could pick up a permanent live from inside the van but that would involve circuit tracing and working out its maximum permissible amps on whatever circuit you picked
the above will be the simplest /surest method at least you will know whats it can then run power wise
Geo

Last edited:
OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Simplest non teccy solution
Remove existing feed from rear and tape up conector. and run a new healthy cable direct to the battery (Van or Leisure battery your choice) fused of course
It will be said you could pick up a permanent live from inside the van but that would involve circuit tracing and working out its maximum permissible amps on whatever circuit you picked
the above will be the simplest /surest method at least you will know whats it can then run power wise
Geo
thanks what size cable should i use and what rate fuse ? will this then charge leisure battery once van batt is full ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I cant really anser those questions with knowing exactly what you want to do with that socket
You may say now I only want to use trickle charger and then next week plug in like someone else did on here a small fan heater and blew his socket up:RollEyes:
I only answered your original question how to???
the cable size and fuse can be sorted by who ever sells you the cable and fuses as they will ask you the same questions
As for what battery will be charged,
The one you connect socket to for sure, after that it depends on what other connections systems you have in place.
Not easy questions you are posing without knowing all about what you want and what you already have

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
How about using the TV 12v outlet. I believe that's live all the time.

Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
You may say now I only want to use trickle charger and then next week plug in like someone else did on here a small fan heater and blew his socket up:RollEyes:

I'm not going to live that one down in a hurry now am I! :winky::roflmto: but it was one that was made for a cigarette lighter honest injun Geo! :RollEyes:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
gromit

gromit

Free Member
Dec 23, 2012
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
I cant really anser those questions with knowing exactly what you want to do with that socket
I only answered your original question how to???
the cable size and fuse can be sorted by who ever sells you the cable and fuses as they will ask you the same questions
As for what battery will be charged,
The one you connect socket to for sure, after that it depends on what other connections systems you have in place.
Not easy questions you are posing without knowing all about what you want and what you already have
hi i want to use the socket for a trickle charger only as i have another 12v socket on van

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi i want to use the socket for a trickle charger only as i have another 12v socket on van
then it may be better to connect the solar directly to the battery and bypass the long internal wiring harness and reduce any volt drop.

those small 5watt type dashtop panels are extremely low output, generally down to a few milliamps, and probably wont even keep up with drain taken by the parasitic loads on your battery...alarm, radio memory etc.

a 50 watt panel should be a minimum to be effective and on a good day MAY produce 3amps

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back