cigerette lighter

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by gromit, Feb 16, 2013.

1. gromit

gromit Read Only Funster

hello all hope you can help me my 54 plate fiat ducato motorhome has 2 cigertte light sockets which both are disabled when ignition is off i need to have one permant live so i can plug in my solar panel trickle charger to keep battery topped up does any one now how i can do this thanks all

2. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Simplest non teccy solution
    Remove existing feed from rear and tape up conector. and run a new healthy cable direct to the battery (Van or Leisure battery your choice) fused of course
    It will be said you could pick up a permanent live from inside the van but that would involve circuit tracing and working out its maximum permissible amps on whatever circuit you picked
    the above will be the simplest /surest method at least you will know whats it can then run power wise
    Geo

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gromit

gromit Read Only Funster

thanks what size cable should i use and what rate fuse ? will this then charge leisure battery once van batt is full ?

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I cant really anser those questions with knowing exactly what you want to do with that socket
    You may say now I only want to use trickle charger and then next week plug in like someone else did on here a small fan heater and blew his socket up:RollEyes:
    I only answered your original question how to???
    the cable size and fuse can be sorted by who ever sells you the cable and fuses as they will ask you the same questions
    As for what battery will be charged,
    The one you connect socket to for sure, after that it depends on what other connections systems you have in place.
    Not easy questions you are posing without knowing all about what you want and what you already have

5. Larby

Larby Funster

How about using the TV 12v outlet. I believe that's live all the time.

6. Philcott

Philcott Read Only Funster

I'm not going to live that one down in a hurry now am I! :Wink::Laughing: but it was one that was made for a cigarette lighter honest injun Geo! :RollEyes:

7. gromit

gromit Read Only Funster

hi i want to use the socket for a trickle charger only as i have another 12v socket on van

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

then it may be better to connect the solar directly to the battery and bypass the long internal wiring harness and reduce any volt drop.

those small 5watt type dashtop panels are extremely low output, generally down to a few milliamps, and probably wont even keep up with drain taken by the parasitic loads on your battery...alarm, radio memory etc.

a 50 watt panel should be a minimum to be effective and on a good day MAY produce 3amps