Cigar lighter plugs (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i had the misfortune of having two fag lighter plugs literally melt over the last 11 days.

each plug was rated at 6amps and each running a tv and sat box.

plug one was a shop bought, integrated double adaptor (fused) and this was running a 15" lcd tv plus a 'porty' sat box....this one wasnt too bad but had started to 'bend' a bit and the spring loaded tip had 'welded' to the casing.

plug two was one i cobbled together from a 4 way socket bought in france, running a 21" lcd tv through a regulated 12v supply unit plus a Zhender sat box, this one literally melted inside and the fuse shattered.
it also melted the back out of the socket....bugger really as this is part of the aerial amplifier on an RV.
it was hot enough to burn my finger on the metal contact when i pulled it out :Eeek:

in each case there was less than 5amps present.

so, my advise is DONT use cheap plugs as found on Ebay and high street motoring shops.....it just aint worth the risk !!!!

i just ordered four Hella/DIN type plugs and sockets rated at 10amps each and will be fused at 3amps each.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I bought a couple of twins from Maplins John. Paid a good price for em but my Aldi ones were the same as yours...rubbish. :cry:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just bought 5 Hella din types from an old car shop. He let me have them cheap £1 per set male and female,he said he had em on the shelf for years.Am in the process of changing everything to them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just bought 5 Hella din types from an old car shop. He let me have them cheap £1 per set male and female,he said he had em on the shelf for years.Am in the process of changing everything to them.
best thing you could do Dave :thumb:

i dont think it was the plugs not up to the job but the spring loaded center pin, over time, push's the plug out enough to cause electrical arcing across the tip and socket center contact, which gets hot and transfers heat to the plastic body, melting it in the process.

the Hellas has a positive 'click-in' action and cant come loose.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I only use mine for charging my e cig batts and the laptops and phones. Don't leave anything on when out of the van. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
How many watts are the Tv's ??
My 15" LCD is 50watts so thats 4.16 amps and you will find the sat box is about another 1 amp (12 watts) when powering the LNB on the dish.. So you close to that 6amp limit..
The bigger tv is possible taking even more ampage.

Wise move to go with a higher rated and better quality plug.. Also people need to ensure their 12v cigarette sockets are wired up for the job as many are only rated at 5amps..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back