CI Carioca 746 - Grey Water Emptying (1 Viewer)

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hi All

Here's my first ever question, so hope I've included enough info to make it easy enough to answer !!! :Smile:

I have a question about emptying the grey water tank on my 2008 CI Carioca 746 (end lounge model). The tank is mounted across the van about 1/3 of the way from the back, with the outlet valve postioned toward the near-side. The valve is one of those that you pull the handle and I understand it's for use when driving over the drain.

My issue is that we generally use CL sites, and as a consequence, there aren't many "drive-over" drains, so am not sure what I need to do when there isn't one available. Now, as I guess I'm not the only one in this position, what do others here do in this situation ? I guess some sort of temporary piping is needed to get the grey water from the tank to the drain, but doesn't seem very straightforward considering the bore of the outlet is 60mm outside diameter and 47mm inside diameter

I've (hopefully) attached a couple of snaps of the outlet to illustrate the problem, but would appreciate some advice please. I did do a search earlier, but didn't come across any similar problems posted before...

Thanks

Steve

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Hi essexboy
What about one of those waste water comtainers i've seen caravaners using?
They're flat with wheels at one end and a handle at the other with an opening on top.
You could roll-it under, drop the water and roll it to the drain. You may need a funnel but that'd do the trick.
Alternatley glue an elbow on the drop-valve and fit a pipe to bring the water to where you can get-it into a bucket. You can probably get the bits from a good fish-pond shop as they use those gate-valves on big filter systems.

regards...nige

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I once saw a device that someone had made that used an outside drain pipe hopper, with feed to small section of drain pipe, with a small wooden stand to prop it under the valve. It seemed to work fine. I have never bothered as I am on the move and always find a suitable spot at a site, with luck. The only times that I haven't it was down to a bucket and release slowly.

Dave:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We had exactly the same problem with a Riviera 181 and, I'm sorry to say, never resolved it.

The system works with spectacular efficiency when you do manage to find an appropriate dumping point, but getting it lined up accurately with one of those caravan-style Wastemasters would be a trick indeed - and the capacity of your grey water tank will far exceed that of the Wastemaster.

I'm ashamed to admit that in the six months we owned the Riviera, I used to bring the grey water home and dump the tank over our gravel drive. Not recommended.

Happily our current motorhome has a flexible hose to one side and is MUCH easier to empty - using a collapsible bucket at CLs where you have to let it out a bit at a time.

I do hope somebody comes along soon with a workable solution for you.

Frankie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Hi All

Here's my first ever question, so hope I've included enough info to make it easy enough to answer !!! :Smile:

I have a question about emptying the grey water tank on my 2008 CI Carioca 746 (end lounge model). The tank is mounted across the van about 1/3 of the way from the back, with the outlet valve postioned toward the near-side. The valve is one of those that you pull the handle and I understand it's for use when driving over the drain.

My issue is that we generally use CL sites, and as a consequence, there aren't many "drive-over" drains, so am not sure what I need to do when there isn't one available. Now, as I guess I'm not the only one in this position, what do others here do in this situation ? I guess some sort of temporary piping is needed to get the grey water from the tank to the drain, but doesn't seem very straightforward considering the bore of the outlet is 60mm outside diameter and 47mm inside diameter

I've (hopefully) attached a couple of snaps of the outlet to illustrate the problem, but would appreciate some advice please. I did do a search earlier, but didn't come across any similar problems posted before...

Thanks

Steve

Hi,got the same system,purchased a fiamma waste carrier,easy to use,just roll under and line up and then empty at waste points.Check clearance though as had to shorten waste pipe a little to get it under.:Smile:

theboadacea

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Wow, you must have been flat to the floor taking those pictures!

We never resolved the issue either. For the 4 years that we lived in the van (mostly spent on CL's) we would empty the tank with 2 buckets - to balance the weight out when carrying. We actually had two tanks to empty - the kitchen tank and the shower waste tank. The shower waste one would take about 8 bucket fulls and the kitchen one was 5 buckets. Sometimes i'd do a trip one trip a day to keep the levels down but when it was raining i'd let the tanks fill up a bit and just risk getting soaked once on a mammoth emptying run! :ROFLMAO: It just became habit after a while - quite often emptied the thetford at the same time so all tanks were empty.

Every so often i'd start looking into hoses etc to save me squatting at the side of the van and reaching under to fill buckets but then I just figured - hey ho - its exercise which is apparently good for me ::bigsmile: Also, using hose will not make the water flow up hill - and some CL's and most CC sites have raised disposal points. I did think of wastemasters but then again they still need emptying and are heavier to lift up to some of the wastpoint tanks we had to use than single buckets are.

Another bonus with buckets is it saved us moving the van to the waste point - a bit of a pain when the tanks suddenly register full whilst you have the awning set out.

Sorry I couldn't help much!

MaureenD

Free Member
Jan 15, 2008
South Wales Vallys
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since October 07 but Caravanning since 1972
We use a water hog rolls under the van Aline with the waste when full roll to the waste emptying point. No problem when on the move ours stand in the shower cubical

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi steve,

if you mean emptying mid stay on site then i cant help as we never stay that long in one place.

on the other hand.....if you mean emptying when you leave site then do as i, and many others, do.

pull into a layby, making sure there are no streams or rivers close by, preferably sloping towards the verge not the road, and open her up.....let most of it out then drive off leaving the valve open to fully empty the tank.

it is only soapy water after all.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I use a Wastemaster 40 litre tank on wheels just push it under the outlet and let it fill into it.
Then empty it as normal at the waste dump.:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
hi steve,

if you mean emptying mid stay on site then i cant help as we never stay that long in one place.

on the other hand.....if you mean emptying when you leave site then do as i, and many others, do.

pull into a layby, making sure there are no streams or rivers close by, preferably sloping towards the verge not the road, and open her up.....let most of it out then drive off leaving the valve open to fully empty the tank.

Thanks pappajohn...

Why are the best solutions always the simplest !!! :Smile:

I should have twigged that was the way to go on Sunday when a guy passed me on the M11 dripping water - he'd obviously just done the same thing...

Dohhhhh...:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
emptying in a layby is not, strictly speaking, legal but if plod stop, which isnt gonna happen in the real world, you say "sorry, i forgot to close the valve." :winky:

OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Thanks for everyone's help on this one, much appreciated...

We use the CL sites for "peace of mind" that we have a guaranteed to stop for the night & an opportunity for an EHU, but otherwise we are on the move quite a bit. Additionally, we don't have a lot of spare room in the van so anything more than our bucket would be a problem....

So, it would seem that pappajohn's method will suit us down to the ground...

Thanks again

Steve

K

Kokopelli

Deleted User
My solution to this problem

Hi I have the same problem with my Chausson alegro 94. I use a fexable funnel into a length of large bore flexable waste water pipe to solve the problem as I found the was not enough clearance for a waste hogg

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
hi steve,

As a long term countryside resident, land surveyor and drainage expert, I find this approach shocking.
There are many places where watercourses are hidden from view by blind culverts, sectional covered land drain etc etc and these are frequently close to lay by's.
For reference, water can and will travel long distances, far further than most people think, so there is a risk of contamination.
No matter how slight this may be, should we as responsible motor homers be indulging in this practice?
All of those who indulge in this practice should ask themselves if they would be happy if someone came round and emptied their tanks in front of their house, I think not.
It may only be soapy water to you but it is pollution to everyone else wildlife included.
I always use the proper facilities as I do not want to pollute our land any further than it is already, from now on I shall feel quite righteous when doing so.
The fact that many people do it does not make it right

Rant over

Rob

OP
OP
EssexBoy
Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Hi Rob

I have to say that its a good point, very well made...

However, isn't "pollution" nowdays a matter of scale ie. how much impact does a quantity of soapy water compare with the fact we are all driving "planet-killing" vehicles as a hobby (mine's a 2.3 litre diesel and I see on your profile you have a V8 diesel)...

I agree that use of proper water disposal facilities is to be encouraged (and I definitely will where-ever possible), but on reflection/balance, surely things like carbon emissions, rubbish disposal, road building programs et al should be the real target for action to protect the environment/countryside ?

As always, I stand to be corrected...

Many thanks

Steve

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi Rob

I have to say that its a good point, very well made...

However, isn't "pollution" nowdays a matter of scale ie. how much impact does a quantity of soapy water compare with the fact we are all driving "planet-killing" vehicles as a hobby (mine's a 2.3 litre diesel and I see on your profile you have a V8 diesel)...

I agree that use of proper water disposal facilities is to be encouraged (and I definitely will where-ever possible), but on reflection/balance, surely things like carbon emissions, rubbish disposal, road building programs et al should be the real target for action to protect the environment/countryside ?

As always, I stand to be corrected...

Many thanks

Steve

Steve

There is no need to stand corrected, what you say is absolutely correct, there are many ways in which we are polluting our planet, having just been holidaying in China I am thinking to myself "why bother" :Sad::Sad::Sad: The pollution is frankly unbelievable over there.

I do indeed have a V8 diesel, I do all I can to keep my mileage as low as possible as I appreciate the somewhat substantial emissions emanating from this vehicle.

I guess what I am saying is that dumping soapy, a.k.a contaminated water, in a lay by when there is an alternative does not help anyone at all and is hardly likely to enhance the reputation of Responsible Motorhomers, I appreciate that this is my opinion but until such time as the Govt. comes up with a cunning plan to outlaw free thought and opinions I am entitled to mine.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Steve

There is no need to stand corrected, what you say is absolutely correct, there are many ways in which we are polluting our planet, having just been holidaying in China I am thinking to myself "why bother" :Sad::Sad::Sad: The pollution is frankly unbelievable over there.

I do indeed have a V8 diesel, I do all I can to keep my mileage as low as possible as I appreciate the somewhat substantial emissions emanating from this vehicle.

I guess what I am saying is that dumping soapy, a.k.a contaminated water, in a lay by when there is an alternative does not help anyone at all and is hardly likely to enhance the reputation of Responsible Motorhomers, I appreciate that this is my opinion but until such time as the Govt. comes up with a cunning plan to outlaw free thought and opinions I am entitled to mine.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Rob

as am I.

many CL's and some private campsites actually encourage this practice on the edge their land and i can imagine there will be water courses close by.

even the water companies advise using washing-up/ bath water to water gardens/lawns in times of drought to conserve water supplies.
it cant be a one way street.......cant be good in times of drought and bad at other times.

if they say its ok to do it then, in my book, its ok for me to do it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back