DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
My wife's laptop has died and it looks like it is some hardware fault not easily sorted. I thought it was a hard disk fault but it isn't. We had the message about "thread exception not handled" and attempts to scan and check the hard disk have failed. I even tried re-installing Win 7 but it wouldn't get past the first few steps and just simply switched itself off.

As an aside I discovered that getting Windows 10 to boot into safe mode is no longer easy as the F8 option has been disabled. There are lots of ways of getting it to reboot into safe mode but to get it to boot into safe mode from cold so to speak is no longer an option. I read holding the shift key down works but it didn't for me.

Anyway, it is an old laptop and my wife couldn't get used to Windows 10 so we are looking at other options. She already has a Tesco Hudl 2 which she finds great but would like something a bit bigger and Chromebooks look a good option.

With one provisio. You can't connect a printer to a Chromebook apparently and have to use Google Cloud printing. I will try this using her Hudl but would be interested in other folk's experiences of using Chromebooks to print and how convenient it is. Convenience and simplicity are major factors to consider!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
In writing the above I realised I could find out for myself by installing the Cloud print app on the Hudl 2. Just done that and it works and quite well. I had to share the printer on the PC, typing in my wife's gmail address and then we could find it on the Hudl - always a bit spooky the way this works!

Downsize is it is slow to fire up the printing option when you click print and the PC has to be switched on. A quick search on line suggests there isn't yet a good solution for printing directly from an Android device to a printer but I did find something about how to use a Raspberry Pi as a cloud print server - so that may be the way to go.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back