LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Today I PMed Jim to say that over a few days now the forum has been pants.

"You're using Firefox" he said.

"Errrrrr, Yes. What do you know I don't".

"Well FF has been screwing me, go use Chrome".

I have, it's it's mind blowing. The screen scroll speed is in a different league. All timeout and slowdown problems are gone.

A year ago Scotjimland said "Try Chrome", I did and it was just OK. So in the meantime it looks like FF has gone down hill and Chrome has had a turbo fitted.

So FUNsters, if you are slow and lethargic, get yourself Chromed.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Mine has been pants with firefox now I will try chrome:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Thought it was TalkTalk slowing me down with Traffic management, I'm on FF too so I'll have a look at Chrome. :thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have always been a fan of Firefox but the last couple of upgrades have really degraded the performance. It's been crashing as well as being slow, especially on data heavy sites like this one. chrome on the other hand is definitely the better browser at the moment.:thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've been using FF for a couple of months and it was mainly fine until yesterday when Fun started to become slow when loading pages. The only other problem I've noticed is in signing in to PayPal when a reload is usually needed.

Don't really fancy Chrome because of what appeared to be intrusive Google sign-up last time I looked at it. Anyone any comments on that?

Graham

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Just tried Chrome, sorry still prefer FF and it has been no problem for us. :thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I just use bog standard internet explorer, google (not chrome) is home page.
No problems.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I have been using FireFox for quite a while and it has always performed well. However the last few days it has been a right pain. Keeps telling me that the server at MHF has timed out and to try again. I have downloaded Chrome and it is very fast.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have had Chrome on my small Sony and Jan's Dell for about a year .. great browser ..

I had Firefox on my old faithful iBook simply because Google Chrome don't support Power PC Macs ( Pre Intel ) :Angry: but last week FF was like a bag of nails, and Safari is now also slow and buggy on the pre Intel Macs , freezing is common ( Thanks Apple :Angry:)

I went searching and found Camino which
Quote" is an open source web browser developed with a focus on providing the best possible experience for Mac OS X users. " unquote.

and it is great ..

so, if you have a PPC Mac try Camino .. the dogs nuts :thumb:

http://caminobrowser.org/

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I have been using FireFox for quite a while and it has always performed well. However the last few days it has been a right pain. Keeps telling me that the server at MHF has timed out and to try again. I have downloaded Chrome and it is very fast.

Yep just the same for me! :Angry:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No problem says Firefox

From Firefox:
=================================================
Answer to question: Long pauses in loading pages, click a second time and page appears, all happened in last week. Others confirm my findings.

cor-el has posted an answer to the question
Long pauses in loading pages, click a second time and page appears, all happened in last week. Others confirm my findings..

========

No problems here.

* "Clear the Cache": Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Offline Storage (Cache): "Clear Now"
* "Remove the Cookies" from sites that cause problems: Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"

Start Firefox in [[Safe Mode]] to check if one of the add-ons is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).
* Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.

See:
* [[Troubleshooting extensions and themes]]
* [[Troubleshooting plugins]]

========

I've not tried it yet, it does NOT explain why many of us are suddenly experiencing this problem.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
I had the same problems as mentioned, FF slow the other day. However it is now back to normal. Loaded Chrome last night. When FF is working its difficult to see which is fastest, so I will probably hold Chrome in reserve.

What a pain to transfer bookmarks - still dont know how i did it.

Gave up on IE about 2 years ago, constant crashing.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They won't admit anything is wrong but I am sure there will be a point upgrade soon that will sort it out, meanwhile I have found some good bookmarking addons for Chrome, and I just discovered that the best bit of software in the world (roboform) works with chrome, I doubt I will be using FF for a while.:Smile:

From Firefox:
=================================================
Answer to question: Long pauses in loading pages, click a second time and page appears, all happened in last week. Others confirm my findings.

cor-el has posted an answer to the question
Long pauses in loading pages, click a second time and page appears, all happened in last week. Others confirm my findings..

========

No problems here.

* "Clear the Cache": Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Offline Storage (Cache): "Clear Now"
* "Remove the Cookies" from sites that cause problems: Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"

Start Firefox in [[Safe Mode]] to check if one of the add-ons is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).
* Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.

See:
* [[Troubleshooting extensions and themes]]
* [[Troubleshooting plugins]]

========

I've not tried it yet, it does NOT explain why many of us are suddenly experiencing this problem.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I am impressed with how smooth chrome is, but I cant get my head around favourites.

I like typing into the header bar that doubles up as a question box if that makes sense.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It would be helpfull if the Sysop told us when changers are being made on the System so that we could look to see if there are any changes at our end.

Doug...

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Trying FF again

Just for testing I'm on FF.

Done one preview, it was instant.

And another.

So what is *really* going on ??????

Bit later........

Well I've used FF as normal now for at least a quarter of an hour and it's been perfect. Not only no pauses or timeouts but the screen is scrolling as fast as I can roll my mouse wheel.

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've just been on paypal with FF, on Friday FF and paypal was a stuttering mess, today its sweet. I think there has been some sort on internet bottleneck/slowdown From Thursday to last night my speeds were VERY slow, today they are where they were last week, prior to this mysterious slowdown. I wonder if the large amount of denial of service attacks that are happening right now have caused some weird internet routing. Who knows? certainly not me.

I also think that when speeds are slow chrome deals with the web better which means i will be using chrome wheneever I am using my dongle or when speeds are slow.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It would be helpfull if the Sysop told us when changers are being made on the System so that we could look to see if there are any changes at our end.

Doug...

Hi Doug, I would never to anything to site that might affect funsters, without telling them. No serverside changes to the site have been made for ages that might impair your enjoyment of the site.

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thought it was me with FF yesterday on Fun but glad to hear it wasn't, no trouble today FF is fine thank goodness.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Just tried Crome and noticed the the "Do to first new post" is nor working, anyone else got this?

Doug...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just this last half hour I've had problems accessing messages on Fun through my normal Virgin Media broadband. Other sites I use regularly were OK but accessing my main e-mail (at 1&1) was iffy for a while as well. I was able to access Fun through my 3 mobile phone with no problem so it definitely wasn't Fun at fault.

That points to a problem with either the Virgin DNS tables or a problem affecting just certain servers. Maybe that has something to do with why some of us experienced difficultiess in recent days.

Graham

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Pants here again, I am with BT, W7, FFox if it persists I will try Chrome