Christmas in cancelled?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by steveclecy, Jun 19, 2009.

1. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Oh b*gg*r. All prepared to go and collect our first MH today, train timetable checked, to discover our transferred funds have not arrived in the sellers account. Enquiries with our bank have been made, to discover that transfers in excess of £10k are still "slow tracked", and can take "up to four working days" to arrive. Drat! Transfers less than £10k appear almost instantaneously in the receiving account, which explains how the deposit was OK. So there is a (to us) massive sum of money disappeared into the black hole of the clearing bank system. Apparently, I should have paid an additional £25 to have it transferred under something called the CHAPS system, which would have guaranteed to be in the receiving bank account by end of business same day. Struggle to understand why this is so. So he we are, like children who have been told Christmas is cancelled, drumming our fingers over the weekend when we could (and should) have been trying it out.
    Steve :Angry:

2. Cavendish

Cavendish Read Only Funster

:cry: I hope you don't have too long to wait before you can collect it. :thumb:

3. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hiya Steve

Its a real pain isnt it. Never mind all the more to look forward too.

Jim
    :RollEyes:

4. Baggins

Baggins Read Only Funster

Banks!!! Don'cha love 'em

On every possible occasion I try to avoid banks when doing a deal. Cash is king - although many people don't like fifty's

Rip-off £25 charge just to accept phone confirmation of electronic transfer.

Can say that when, finally, I was without mortgage and bought my current house outright the sellers solicitor was alarmed when I threatened to bring cash rather than pay Chaps fee! Seller paid in my stead.

Cheap-skate I know but I detest banking pratice of catching customers out at every opportunity.

BW

PS Hope you enjoy your new van very much.

5. RuthRv

RuthRv Read Only Funster

what a bummer, but there is still next weekend and the weekend after that and after that for as long as you want:BigGrin:

6. sinbad1

sinbad1 Deleted User

£25 for chaps is a ripoff ;but remember a normal bacs transfer will cost you more in interest particularly,since bacs take 3-4 days before it arrives in the receiving bank.

Chaps transaction is usually done by the close of business. When the islandic banks went bust £90,000 chaps transfere dissapeared into the ether for 5 weeks:Eeek::Eeek::cry::cry:the bank showed the money had gone out leaving a zero balance:Eeek::Eeek:
    scary time ;but did eventually turn up thank god.

don't trust any banks now

7. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Christmas is reinstated!

Got it! Phone call this morning - money appeared in sellers account, jumped the train from Liverpool and after pleasantries, legalities and practicalities I was cruising down the M6 back home. Oh how chuffed we were. Very comfortable driving position, not too many rattles and bumps, cab air conditioning very efficient, had to turn it off after 20 minutes. Come on weekend!
    Steve

8. Cavendish

Cavendish Read Only Funster

That is good news, enjoy your new van. :Smile:

9. Baggins

Baggins Read Only Funster

Enjoy

Great stuff

ENJOY IT

BW

10. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster