culreach

Free Member
Mar 5, 2012
Moray
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Like the looks and layout of a Laika Ecovip for sale in local town showroom; it's a 2003 model, 12k on clock and has had 4 owners. If this was a car I wouldn't touch it but have been told that this number of owners is quite normal for motorhomes. I would welcome your input on this subject - don't want to start off badly by spending a lotta cash on a poor choice.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Like the looks and layout of a Laika Ecovip for sale in local town showroom; it's a 2003 model, 12k on clock and has had 4 owners. If this was a car I wouldn't touch it but have been told that this number of owners is quite normal for motorhomes. I would welcome your input on this subject - don't want to start off badly by spending a lotta cash on a poor choice.

It is not unusual, van is now 9 years old, average time per user 2 years before they upgrade/sell, mileage about right, just make sure it has full service history, cam belt etc changed if fitted and tyres not over five yaers old.

Have a damp check done

Good Luck

Peter

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome to fun

I dont know the latout or much about your needs so all i would say is make sure its right for you think of things like will you be travelling with kids or grand kids if so all though not law (depending on their age i think) do you have enough seatbelts.

Also i see like me your from Scotland and i know most will find this hard to believe but it tends to rain here sometimes so try and imagine if you where all stuck inside is there enough room for you to sit comfy and stretch out. If you will be using it abroad more often then more likely sit outside more.

Do you want to use it all year because again it gets cold in Scotland i use mine all year and although its not winterised id recommend you go for one that is. Go back round to the dealer and sit in the van for a while take a flask of tea and sit there if hes ok with it make all the beds up as sometimes once beds are made you cant get by to the loo, stand in the shower clothed and make sure you have enough room we liked a mh once but there wasnt enough room for me to bend down in the shower room and im only 6ft.
Also check for damp
Hope i havent put you off best thing to do is ask loads of questions and dont rush.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If it is the a-class version, then we looked into one of these, and very nice vans indeed!

The two main points that popped up via rcommendations, were 1. Go for the merc base vehicle. 2. Parts can be quite slow to arrive as they come from Italy.

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
welcome fella

Some go advice above, takes often many many months to find the right vehicle. It is all the little things that make the difference. But where and when you are going to use it is important.

You heard mention of tyres.. may have bags of tread on them, but once about 5 years old they have had it due to sun and weather.. changed mine 6 of them.. last year at around £100 a tyre plus then you can see that can be an expensive thing to do. Damp again as mentioned is important on may motorhomes.

How old are the batteries? have you enough for your needs? cooking? ...you will know when it is the right motorhome.. take your time, look around a lot.

Bob, Sue & Ezzie the St Bernard.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Hi and welcome to fun

I dont know the latout or much about your needs so all i would say is make sure its right for you think of things like will you be travelling with kids or grand kids if so all though not law (depending on their age i think) do you have enough seatbelts.

Also i see like me your from Scotland and i know most will find this hard to believe but it tends to rain here sometimes so try and imagine if you where all stuck inside is there enough room for you to sit comfy and stretch out. If you will be using it abroad more often then more likely sit outside more.

Do you want to use it all year because again it gets cold in Scotland i use mine all year and although its not winterised id recommend you go for one that is. Go back round to the dealer and sit in the van for a while take a flask of tea and sit there if hes ok with it make all the beds up as sometimes once beds are made you cant get by to the loo, stand in the shower clothed and make sure you have enough room we liked a mh once but there wasnt enough room for me to bend down in the shower room and im only 6ft.
Also check for damp
Hope i havent put you off best thing to do is ask loads of questions and dont rush.

Sorry, but your wrong. It used to a bit of a grey area, but no longer. to travel a child, they must be belted in properly in the correct type of seat for their size. Where seat belts are fitted, they must be used if carrying passengers. Its been this way for a while now.

Simple common sense for a change, as it would be tragic if a child was killed through the action or in-action of a parent/grandparent regarding seat belts

To the original poster, please dont be put off by bad advice, but my recomendation is go with your instincts first, but remember that you need as many seat belts as passengers. the same as in a car

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry, but your wrong. It used to a bit of a grey area, but no longer. to travel a child, they must be belted in properly in the correct type of seat for their size. Where seat belts are fitted, they must be used if carrying passengers. Its been this way for a while now.

Simple common sense for a change, as it would be tragic if a child was killed through the action or in-action of a parent/grandparent regarding seat belts

To the original poster, please dont be put off by bad advice, but my recomendation is go with your instincts first, but remember that you need as many seat belts as passengers. the same as in a car

Sorry YOU are wrong the age of the van (2003) exempts it from the 2007/8 seatbelt laws :Eeek: Obviously it is wise to have belts for kids but in law not necessary :winky: Side/rear facing and all that ::bigsmile:
terry

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sorry Terry, but the law has been tightened up, specifically regarding children travelling in a vehicle. I have a link to the specific legislation here someplace, but cant currently find it. will post it when I do

here is what the AA say for a general outline, but unless its exceptional circumstances or in a taxi. children under 12 years or 135cm need to be secured in an appropriate child seat etc
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/child_safety/seatbelts.html

regardless of the seatbelt law, you are responsible for all passengers in your vehicle as the driver. The road traffic act makes it an offence to drive when it would place an unsecure passenger or others in danger (vague memory says sec 40 but not sure). Common sense should prevent any sane person from carrying unsecured children anyway. Arguing a point of law wont bring a dead child back:thumb:

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi The big1

As for bad advice if you read my post assuming you meant mine i asked the question do you have enough, i didn't advise anyone to carry children without using seat belts and if you search old posts you will find i am totally against it.

Also the link you gave to the AA have you actually read it the table states the following

Child 12 or 13 (or younger child over 135cm) A seat belt must be worn if fitted.

This is for both front and rear so as for bad advice i wonder who is really giving it but you may yet prove me wrong with your link your going to add.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

culreach

Free Member
Mar 5, 2012
Moray
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Many Thanks

Thanks for the advice folks. I am innately cautious but the sheer excitement of getting away on our(missus and me) 1st MH is a heady brew indeed. Recent winters would have moderated this rashness with -20c and so much snow that snowblindness was a possibility(small exaggeration) but this winter has had a big warm smile and I don't trust it - too long in the tooth. So time will be taken in choosing, dampness will be checked, tyres examined and age questioned and all your caveats will be paid heed to. Cheers! :thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sorry Terry, but the law has been tightened up, specifically regarding children travelling in a vehicle. I have a link to the specific legislation here someplace, but cant currently find it. will post it when I do

here is what the AA say for a general outline, but unless its exceptional circumstances or in a taxi. children under 12 years or 135cm need to be secured in an appropriate child seat etc
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/child_safety/seatbelts.html

regardless of the seatbelt law, you are responsible for all passengers in your vehicle as the driver. The road traffic act makes it an offence to drive when it would place an unsecure passenger or others in danger (vague memory says sec 40 but not sure). Common sense should prevent any sane person from carrying unsecured children anyway. Arguing a point of law wont bring a dead child back:thumb:

Nope ::bigsmile: The laws changed for vans made after 2007/8 :thumb:if your van is before that you can carry anybody be it child or old codger simply because seatbelts were not fitted/needed for side or rear facing seats :winky: Not getting into rights and wrongs of carrying unbelted people :Doh: THEY DID NOT LEGISLATE TO HAVE BELTS RETRO FITTED
Try looking around your van and see what can come flying forward in the event of a crash I'll bet 8 out of 10 vans have something that could kill you :Eeek:MICROWAVE, KETTLE, FRUIT BOWL,EXTINGUISHER (Don't laugh because I have seen them :Doh:) a lot more dangerous than a unbelted person/child laid down or sat with back to front seat :Smile: Of course the person can become a lethal flying object too :winky:
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back