Choices ? (1 Viewer)

T

The Knobs

Deleted User
Hi
Just joined this site as it looks like a fair bit of info on th 5ers.
We have decided that our motorhome must go to be replaced by a 5er. We only do weekends and a few week long trips mainly in the uk and to mostly walking country, so are looking for something managable on our fantastic country roads. We have only looked at the fifth wheel globestormer so far, which looks about the right size and the layout would suit us. So, what alternatives are there ? Just looked on Calder site and the Kountrylite 22 looks as if it might fit the bill.

Anyone actually using either the globestormer or the kounrylite 22 that could give some pros and cons ?

Also anyone near Oxford would be handy:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Knobs,

You are right, we are getting a good collection of Fiver owners these days::bigsmile: Though I rarely see them on the road; these rigs are generating plenty of interest at shows and it seems they are going to become more popular as people realise the benefits of ownership. :Smile:

Meanwhile - Welcome to the Fun:thumb::thumb:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi
Anyone actually using either the globestormer or the kounrylite 22 that could give some pros and cons ?

Not acually using yet, just about to buy!::bigsmile:
We're getting a 26RL KountryLite from Calder.
We've had a look at Calder, 5th wheel co and quite a few of the larger Yank offerings.
Obviously, everybodies wants/needs/budgets are different, but for us, it went something like this...............

5th wheel co
Did the factory tour and test drive of the Celtic Rambler/Navara combo from 5th wheel co.
Had a great day, was VERY impressed with the Celtic Ramblers build and quality.........but
1. the test vehicle was a 6 speed manual Navara which franky was pants! If you go Navara, get an Auto, its easier and stronger.
2. The Celtic Ramber is a VERY nice piece of kit BUT, it's too expensive (IMHO). Very good, definately, but not 20k's worth of better....again, IMHO.
3. The layout didn't really suit us. The galley and storage cupboards are so high that we would have had to keep a step inside for ffiona to reach anything
4. After 10 years of American RV's, to go back to a Thetfod casette loo was just a no-no.

Mainstream Yank 5th wheel offerings.
Some WONDERFULL rigs out there, some of which are HUGE, but for us, we didn't want the size and expense of a Yank pick-up as an everyday/commuting/sightseeing vehicle so had to stay at the smaller end of the scale.

Calder Leisure.
This is the one we decided to go for. It does, we think, give us the ideal combination of a slide out RV with the practicality of a reasonably small pick up. The penalty, of course, is that you must realise that a Navara is never gonna be a rocket ship with 3 tonnes hanging off it's backside! Lucky, o to 60 times simply dont interest us and the lack of on road performance is a price worth paying for on site comfort, again IMHO.
Whilst at the NEC this year, we also had a look at the 25's and thought they were a stunning piece of kit. possibly slightly small for loooooooooooong stays, but definately manageable in terms of size on the road. We were very impressed with them.
HTH

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Hi
Just joined this site as it looks like a fair bit of info on th 5ers.

Whilst not actually owning either of the 5'ers you mentioned I would suggest that you should spend as much time as possible looking at all the possible combinations that you can find/clap eyes on.
I think that only through exposure can you really reach a conclusion as to what is right for you.
Always bear in mind that one man's meat etc etc........::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

How close to Oxford do you want?

Rob

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
5th wheels are becoming quite popular in this country now, most by far are American made, I believe that is because they are such good value. For your use I would imagine one of the smallest American ones would suit, you could use either a truck like the Dodge Dakota or 1500 or a Jap truck like the Nissan Navara, the US truck would almost certainly be petrol, the Jap, I imagine would be diesel.
Take a look on some US web sites to see the type of 5ers available, if you find one that you fancy, an English Co. can import one for you and do the conversion work necessary, they could also locate a truck & import it and fit the 5th wheel hitch, if you decided on a US one.
With any trailer, you MUST know the "dry" weight, "gross" weight and also the "pin" weight, also, with a smaller truck you should stay with a 7' 6" wide. If I were in your position, I would try to find the smallest trailer with "ideal" layout (there are always compromises), then work out the best truck for it (and you).
Take your time, there are so many different trailers & trucks to choose from.
Good luck with your search
Nigel

OP
OP
T

The Knobs

Deleted User
Just what i need, more choice ::bigsmile:

Am i right in thinking that most of the 5ers are made of wooden frames ? I dont want to go down the damp caravan route and that may be a distinct possibility with wooden frames. Are there any made of modern materials other than the Fifth Wheel models ?
Will probably take a trip to Newbury and may well end up visiting Calder and the place in Lincolnshire, forgotten their names now. But i do think that a 5er is the way forward, but will probably be a small one :thumb:

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Niche Marketing is the place at Louth, Lincolnshire.

They have a very nice 5ver - the Euro. Built in USA for UK spec. Although we wouldn't swop our Jayco, we were very impressed with it and have a friend who's bought one.

Link Removed

Al

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Have to go with "algill" on this one,, We bought a Jayco, Eagle Super Lite a few months ago,, and have just returned from a trip around parts of Europe.. ::bigsmile:

It was all that I had expected and more,, spacious, comfortable and a dream to drag around.. The new ones and possibly the old ones are all aluminium framed,, very little wood in the sandwich construction, super insulation, :thumb:

I think my only reservation is that like a lot of American MH & 5ers they only have toughened single glazing,,which I could see as a problem with condensation if you were to use it through the winter,, but saying that I have made some silver screens which cuts a lot of the condensation down and also keeps the heat in.:Cool:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
Just what i need, more choice ::bigsmile:

Am i right in thinking that most of the 5ers are made of wooden frames ? I dont want to go down the damp caravan route and that may be a distinct possibility with wooden frames. Are there any made of modern materials other than the Fifth Wheel models ?
Will probably take a trip to Newbury and may well end up visiting Calder and the place in Lincolnshire, forgotten their names now. But i do think that a 5er is the way forward, but will probably be a small one :thumb:

Our Rockwood is constructed with Aluminium frames which help on 2 scores, weight and rot resistance in the event of damp ingress. The only wooden part is the floor.
I am biased towards 5'ers ( I own a US one :thumb::thumb:) but I agree that they are the way forward.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I think my only reservation is that like a lot of American MH & 5ers they only have toughened single glazing,,

Thats one of the reasons why we plumped for the kountryLite. You can specify double glazing, which we did.
My only disapointment was that we HAD to have smoked glass. If you have single glazing, it's clear. if you specify double glazing, it's smoked whether you like it or not........wierd.:Wacko:

Yetties

Free Member
Nov 19, 2007
Radstock Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
You are absolutely right to look at a 5er

With a 5er you get all the advantages of a motorhome and all the practicality of a car and caravan with none if the disadvantages of either.

We have an Ameri-lite 21fms that we got from Niche they have a good range and are good and straight to deal with, we pull ours with a Navara manual and have no problems

We absolutely love it, we have been to Bavaria with it, tows like a dream and Navara is good on fuel even when towing it

Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back