Choices abound..but which one to go for? (1 Viewer)

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Hi all,

I won't go over old ground with my old motorhome, some may remember, hasten to say it will soon be going back to the dealers after rejection for "Poor quality" won't go into any more details here.

This brings me on to the reason for this post.

Now or very soon will be in the market for a new motorhome.
Looked at a few and seen to like the look of the Knaus, Burstner etc.
Must have a fixed bed but the build quality is very good, from what I've seen, but looks like the table in the living areas is fixed and wonder if anyone has one of these MH's and how they get on for holiday or extended breaks "living at the kitchen table" all day. If you know what I mean? :D
Open to suggestions as to other makes, but I do have already have a "no no" list as to previous experiences. :censored:

Great time on here and can gather very useful information.

Cheers

David&Barbara

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
image.jpeg
Hi David, we had exactly the same issue when we bought our current van. The fixed table was capable of being moved every which way, but it definitely made life difficult when we were travelling for long periods and needed space to lounge and relax. The bolts holding this heavy duty table to the floor were huge and that says much about German engineering I think, but we removed the table and now carry a much lighter Lafuma with folding legs, which we keep under the double floor and use when we have guests, and a much smaller casual folding table which you can see in the attached picture, and that does us fine for snacks and drinks, etc. As an added bonus, removing the fixed table has probably increased the payload by a few KGs, not that this was the reason as the van is a 3.9 tonner.
Gary

Bounty Hunter

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Skelmersdale
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1984
In our last 3 motorhomes, Carthago, Euramobil and Mobilvetta, we have removed the fixed table, taken everyting of the actual table, attached swing down legs and carried it on bed or in wardrope. It is almost impossible in any motorhome to get a table that you can actually reach all cupboards with it in place. There is only the 2 of us so we don't really need the fixed table and prefer the freedom to move about with no restrictions.
Our friend has a large Hymer and he has the best table we have ever seen in a motorhome, moves in every direction and can be extended very easily.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We removed our semi-fixed table and replaced with two folding ones that live in the wardrobe. That meant we did not need an outside table. So win win win.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm yet another one with a German van who has removed the enormous table and use a folding-leg dining table instead that stores in the cab when not in use.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yet another who removed the fixed table ..

I put folding legs on it and store in the double floor, and bought a lightweight aluminium table from Clas Ohlson for occasional use.. it can also be used outside..

Before with Fixed table
20150328_161711.jpg

Now with folding legs
DSCF2298.jpg

Space without table
DSCF2304.jpg
DSCF2305.jpg

Folding legs
DSCF2302.JPG

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We had a half-dinette in our Burstner t660. The table was removable, but this still left you with just a 'bench' type seat for lounging. I used to sit sideways on this, with my feet up but felt 'trapped' behind the table. In effect, we lounged in the swivel cab seats, and this was comfortable enough.

When we bought our new van, one of the 'must haves' was an L-shaped lounging area at the front (as well as a fixed bed at the rear.) We bought a Hymer t sl 554. This has the L-shaped lounge and a sliding table. We find this to be very roomy and comfortable. Because the table slides, it is not at all restrictive. The upholstery is also very well-padded and comfortable.

We liked our old Burstner and looked at new ones when buying again this time, but the front seating area in the new vans seemed even more restrictive than in our 2008 model. So, I'd say, have a look for a van with an L-shaped lounging area, and avoid the half-dinette.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Because the table slides, it is not at all restrictive.

this would be similar to the table in ours.. it slid back and forth and sideways, but it still felt cramped.. removing it has made such a difference to the available floor space.. it feels like a different van

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Our first two motorhomes were both Brit vans with the traditional bench seats and a folding table to fit in between.
It drove me mad in that I couldn't get into the cab area when the table was in use without becoming a contortionist. Also the faf of getting the table out of the wardrobe and putting it back again. It couldn't be left out during the day because it filled the centre of the van.
Our new Carthago has the continental style L shaped seating with a fixed table which slides and swivels in every direction. It means that you can easily get past it to move round the van, it will slide to give room to lounge on the seats and lock into position when travelling.
For me it is a great improvement and I wouldn't go back to the usual UK layout.

Richard.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Our new Carthago has the continental style L shaped seating with a fixed table which slides and swivels in every direction. It means that you can easily get past it to move round the van, it will slide to give room to lounge on the seats and lock into position when travelling.
For me it is a great improvement and I wouldn't go back to the usual UK layout.

Richard.

Yes, that's the same seating lay-out as ours - just that you described it better than me!

@ScotJimland Your seating area is a different shape from ours. Your fixed table would be longer. I've seen those big, fixed tables, too and agree that they take up too much room.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
One of the definite changes we made with out change of Van (12 sleeps to go!!!) was to have a fold away table stored away. Not only do you get a greater sense of space but this is a table you can take outside instead of carrying yet another table in the garage - double bubble.

My only other thought on any change is buy from somewhere close by - you don't want long trips when (and unfortunately usually not if) there are problems.

C

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
this would be similar to the table in ours.. it slid back and forth and sideways, but it still felt cramped.. removing it has made such a difference to the available floor space.. it feels like a different van
I have to agree with Jim. No matter how much they slide around the table still restricts movement and when our friends join us for drinks (the lounge can seat 10) they all comment on the space. I won't be replacing the original table until and unless we sell the van. Gary

OP
OP
D

David&Barbara

Free Member
Oct 11, 2015
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Lo Profile
Exp
We are newbies
Thank you all for your valuable input.
Certainly gives me plenty to think about.
Will have to enquire as if it's an easy job to remove the table and if it will leave a whacking great hole in the middle of the floor. :)
Thanks again everyone
David&Barbara

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back