Aug 19, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
practising
Hello

We are new to this never owning a motorhome so please bare with us.

With our budget we are looking at 1993ish Hymer S555 NA ( maybe turbo )
or poss a 1995 Hymer B544

Now do we go for the merc older retro style or the newer style 2.5 turbo Fiat

I am sure this has been asked many times but as I may be able to get to germany in a few days where I have seen a S555 Turbo advertised so thought I would ask.

Many thanks

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
The Mercedes is a chain drive engine and not a cam belt, so maybe better in that respect. We've found Mercedes spares no problem through our local Mercedes Truck Dealership. Ours is 1992.

The S555 is on a 310D base, and does not have twin wheels at the back. Hence the load carrying is not as good as the bigger 410D based ones like the S660 and S700, though being over 3.5 ton these will need a pre '97 driving licence or further tests - but HGV tax is cheaper at £165 a year!

We love ours, and wouldn't change. The Mercedes base is big, slow and reliable. I'd guess a turbo would be an after market fitting.

Cheers

PS S Class layouts are on our blog site in the About section, taken from a site that sadly has now gone from the Internet.
Do check out the number of seat belt positions and check for yourself the legal and your insurance position, ours only has two belts on the two front seats. This may be an issue for you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back