Choice between 3500 and 3850 kgs or more (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2014
Far North
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
None
I have been looking at some quite spacious MHs with a u-shaped lounge that can be a double or two singles, plus a half dinette with a couple of seat belts. I have narrowed it down to an Elddis 950 or Bailey 765 (the new lighter Baileys don't have singles at the back) or like.

I have looked at the restrictions on the heavier vehicles, speed, age, access to some French towns etc.

Have people generally felt that the restrictions are onerous or really affect their enjoyment? I know the higher quality vans for this layout would all be on the heavy side. I am happy for an entry level van and the Elddis looks a good bet. (Please don't repeat all the problem stuff here!).

Is that extra bit of weight worth it?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I could be wrong, but I have not seen that many 3.5T restrictions in France, saying that I'm sure I saw one today leading to an Aire in Le Crotoy, full of vans and I'm sure lots over 3.5T.

Phillybarbour

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout Revo.
Exp
Since 2010
Go with higher weight. More payload, lower RFL and I've rarely seen 3.5t restrictions anywhere. French tolls are ok if u press button and say camping car

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No bother at all as for speed we don't do much over 50 mph so it doesn't worry us one bit and we can take everything we need without worrying about overloading.
Go for it!

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Just returned from France/Belgium and the 3.5t signs I saw where all on narrow side streets, residential areas.
Never saw any, restricting where I wanted to go. Saw more 5t restrictions.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Many of the weight restrictions in France (and elsewhere?) relate only to lorises and don't apply to Motorhomes - it depends on which sign is being displayed.

Ian

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We are 4.25t and just over 3m high, but 6.4m long so perhaps look smaller. Have so far always come in at class 2. Seen restrictions on 3.5t but most would not want go near or ignored one as it did not seem to be a bridge, have no idea why restricted.

If the payload and layout is ok then go lighter, why not, but do not worry about going over you may just pay a but more for breakdown etc...

Just to clarify it has not been an issue for us just annoying sometimes when everything under3.5 is standard and over 3.5 is not.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I've never been penalised for weight and my van looks like any other froggy 3.5ton
Just raising mine from 4250 to 4750 today

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We are over 3.5t but have no problems in France. Occasionally, but not often, we have ignored 3.5t signs in town centres but, as we look like any other under 3.5t m/h have never been in trouble.

However, we would avoid bridges with a 3.5t limit!

OP
OP
H
Sep 7, 2014
Far North
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
None
Yes I have the right licence for the next four years at least! Also used to have a class 1 HGV

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Our Hymer B644 is rated at 3850 and when loaded with full tanks we are not far off the limit. I know we have a solidly built van but I don't know how we would manage if we had to downsize to 3500.

OP
OP
H
Sep 7, 2014
Far North
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
None
Thanks for all the advice. I'm just off to look at a new Elddis 195 (3500) have seen a used Bailey 765 (3850). There are only two of plus dog and maybe occasional grandchild so probably won't worry too much about payload. Worried about buying new, depreciation etc. but looking around similar layouts difficult to find second hand. Most vans seem to be fixed beds.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
No such thing as too much payload.
Far too many vans being sold at 3500 kgs with virtually no payload which are really not fit for purpose.
Whatever you decide insist on it going to a local public weighbridge before you part with any dosh. You could be in for a surprise.
Good luck (y)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Far too many vans being sold at 3500 kgs with virtually no payload which are really not fit for purpose.
Whatever you decide insist on it going to a local public weighbridge before you part with any dosh. You could be in for a surprise.
Good luck (y)

One of the very first things we will do when we get the new van is the weighbridge visit. It will be plated at 3650 rather than 3500 (we had the option for either at no extra charge) so we hope that will be plenty. The present van is 3500 and weighbridge with us, full fuel and half fresh water, fully loaded with all the other "stuff" except kayaks we were still 200kg under. The new van will be a heavier base vehicle and we intend to carry both kayaks and bikes.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Good luck (y)
Absolutely spot on re 3500 vans.

Reading this months MMM which tests an Auto Sleeper Corinium. Has a calculated payload of 293 kg WITHOUT water on board. It goes on to say that the premium pack takes another 37 kg out of the payload, and the spare wheel another 25kg.

This leaves about 225 kg payload...let's say you both weigh 75kg (total 150 kg), this means that running with no water on board, your payload is only 75 kg.

Absolutely not fit for purpose, although you can have it replated to 4000 kg. Its definitely not a 3,500 van by any stretch of the imagination and I get quite angry at the reporters for not slamming the manufacturers hard for being so disingenuous.

Rant over but payload is king!

OP
OP
H
Sep 7, 2014
Far North
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
None
Thanks. Confused now about payload. What figures are used? What figures should I look for in the manufacturer's spec? How does fuel and water and waste impact the figures? I know optional extras need adding on. Does the driver and passenger count against the load? What would be a useful minimum safe payload? These major manufacturers must have taken this into account, surely.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
The only advise I would offer is if you're determined to stick to 3500 kgs take it to a weighbridge, do not believe anything the dealer or brochure says. Too late once you've parted with your money and find out it's useless, you won't be the first. A tenner for a weighbridge ticket is cheap compared to buying the wrong van. If the dealer won't weigh it walk away, plenty of vans for sale.

OP
OP
H
Sep 7, 2014
Far North
Funster No
MH
None yet
Exp
None
I have just read that review. Frightening! I know now that water is not now counted. But what about fuel? And I thought at least the driver would be included! I can see that a MH with four big people @100kgs each would put the weight over without any pots, bedding, etc.. How do they advertise a four berth like this? The new rules on licences make this very difficult. Especially as those without the C1 licence will be getting of an age to buy MHs. I don't think they will want to spend more money on courses and tests.

All a bit discouraging.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Brought our current van @3.5t gave up trying to run at 3.5t with a 590kg payload uprated to 3.85t next van will be 4.5t.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I have just read that review. Frightening! I know now that water is not now counted. But what about fuel? And I thought at least the driver would be included! I can see that a MH with four big people @100kgs each would put the weight over without any pots, bedding, etc.. How do they advertise a four berth like this? The new rules on licences make this very difficult. Especially as those without the C1 licence will be getting of an age to buy MHs. I don't think they will want to spend more money on courses and tests.

All a bit discouraging.

At least you asked first and got the benefit of knowledge from the forum and can now make a balanced decision. Better than parting with thousands for a nice new shiny van that despite the salesmans crap is not fit for purpose.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Our van is plated at 4,005kg, not had issues driving all over France. The annoying one is extended sections of 80kph > 3.5t on the motorways. Other than that Jane (our Sat Nav) seems to be able to pick out routes that avoid the restrictions.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Loads of villages in France have a 3.5t limit the French Motorhomes just ignor it.

Got flashed twice on the N10 in the 50kpm 3.5t sections on our last trip a couple of months ago, never heard anything.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back