Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
Hi..

any body had fiat 2.8 chipped, does it work, both power and economy? I find it a bit hard to belive some of the adds, what about insurance do they use it as an excuse to put up the premiums a small fortune?

what about remapping? if you fit a new chip you can reverse it should you need to? I suppose remapping reversal is paying twice

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
easiest way is a plug-in black box.

original ecu stays in place and the box plugs into the wiring.

diy jobbie and just as easy to remove.:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

We went down the chip route through Van AAken who no longer trade, but i must admit it does give the 2.8JTD a lot more power which in turn reduces the 4th to 5th gear changing on those long motorway slopes/hills,

I can remove the chip which is a small box about the size of mobile phone that is connected to the engine battery and then the wiring is inter laced with the existing wires to the injectors, takes about 10/15 minutes to remove and the same to refit

As for fuel economy i would say that it really hasn't made any significant difference, albeit since the fuel price rise last year I have been driving a lot slower and hopefully smoother to try and increase my fuel consumption.

hope that helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i used to use starchip or super chip in vw gti.s . just had to open the ecu gently pull the chip out put in new chip refit lid away you go not more speed but better for towing. fuel cosumption drive it harder keep putting it in.

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Not telling your insurance company will certainly give them a cast iron excuse not to pay up. Some companies don't seem fussed about it (Comfort for instance - they just asked to see a copy of the result; this was a re-mapping) whereas others get all excited about it. I've heard of companies refusing to pay up because you've put a stainless steel exhaust on, or alloy wheels, and not told them:whatthe:. Any excuse will do, it seems.:Angry:

Yes, you can remove a chip or an inline mod. but if your claim was for something a bit serious and traumatic you'd likely forget to put it back like it was.

John

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Tried having my last motorhome chipped, (Peugeot 2.2) but the guy who came to do it, everything he tried, was a no go,he apologised profusely,and would'nt accept any money, even for fuel,but people I've spoken to say it's good..............However, I did read on another forum some guy who had it done, his pistons collapsed?? allegedly!!
Is this a case of ya pays ya money etc etc etc

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,
Sorry I forgot to mention that Safeguard Insurance were notified that I had the Smart Box fitted and they were quiet happy with no additional premium

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
looking at it further it seems there two differant upgrades "power" which may give a "ltttle" better mpg, and enconomy which is suposed to increess mgp 10% or more (2/3mpg???)...more hill power would be nice, and a little extra boost when overtaking must be helpfull, but I must admit I'l like to try befor I buy....who's got one

I think the poeple at shows who said 28/30 mpg were telliung me porkies

Last edited:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
one for sale here for the 100 multi jet Link Removed

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Hi Seb,
I had my last 3.0 ltr Ducato chipped, and noticed a big difference. So on changing it this year to another 3.0 ltr Kontiki, I asked for the same to be fitted. On collection they said they had had a problem, and fitted a separate unit which had a switch on the key ring to revert it back. So on the way home some after 150 miles I took the MPG reading at 18.9. (This was what I expected for a new tight engine on a large tag axel MH.) I hit the switch to try it, and noticed more power straight away. The following 70 odd miles were checked again and this time recorded 25.5. It now does about 24.5 to 25.9 on normal driving. Without throwing the passingers around. Sorry I cant give you the name of the unit, as instructions etc are in the MH and it's gone away to have the fridge fixed. No problems showing on the front screen, but won't freeze down. Hopefully I will have it back soon Hope this is of help.
Rgd's,

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Had my Fiat 2.8 JTD remapped and it was money well spent especially as you can stay in top gear on Motorway hills. I can tow 1.5 tons of trailer with a tractor on it and not know it is there. Fuel consumption is only better when not towing and keeping at 58 to 60mph.
When I had it done by TB Turbo I was told that Fiat engines are set up as if they were on the poorest fuel in the worst country as opposed to our quality fuels here. Only think you will do your engine in if you hammer it like " white van man ".:Doh: Only had to send a copy of the remap to Comfort Insurance for info.:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
hi Seb

We had our previous 2-0 MH remapped. The difference was amazing in terms of performance.
Remapping is slightly different to chipping. Chipping is where the actual chip is taken out of the ECU and replaced with a different one giving different instructions. The danger of this is if it is not done properly the chip can de-solder causing unreliability.
Remapping is just re-programming the current chip that is in the van. Its just the same result but without having to tamper with the internals of the ECU therefore more reliable.

I have heard mixed reviews of the black box, but I know someone whom has one and is more than happy with it.

Some of the disadvantages I found was that the MPG actually decreased. This was because I found myself with that much more power I wanted to use it more, hence less mpg.

I rang my insurance co, whom were not interested. I always ensured I changed the oil more regular as well.

Having a 2.8 now I feel it has plenty of enough power. It climbs hills without problems and pulls like a train

MotorhomeWales

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
West Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
WoW! Tuning will be launching a new product in the coming months. This will allow you to re-map your own vehicle. Allowing you to revert it back to original when ever you like!! More details soon!!!!

Sunty

Free Member
Dec 10, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Swift Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2002
chipset

Like Tractorman, I had my 2.3 Ducato re-mapped by TB Turbo of Lancaster. Superb!
much more responsive, climbs the gears easier and stays in 5th for most of the time even when climbing motorway hills.. Much more power in mid-range which is excellent for overtaking. Fuel consumption marginally improved but I don't race!. Arthur

nick 700

Free Member
Apr 18, 2009
Funster No
WoW! Tuning will be launching a new product in the coming months. This will allow you to re-map your own vehicle. Allowing you to revert it back to original when ever you like!! More details soon!!!!

sounds like this is the same as the sps that revo do for tuning vag cars on theres you can increase or decreacse the timing and boost so in summer you can turn the boost down a bit as the air is not as dence and winter wack it back up so you have more power then when it goes back to the dealer for any work you can turn the map off and they are none the wiser

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hi Seb,
I had my last 3.0 ltr Ducato chipped, and noticed a big difference. So on changing it this year to another 3.0 ltr Kontiki, I asked for the same to be fitted. On collection they said they had had a problem, and fitted a separate unit which had a switch on the key ring to revert it back. So on the way home some after 150 miles I took the MPG reading at 18.9. (This was what I expected for a new tight engine on a large tag axel MH.) I hit the switch to try it, and noticed more power straight away. The following 70 odd miles were checked again and this time recorded 25.5. It now does about 24.5 to 25.9 on normal driving. Without throwing the passingers around. Sorry I cant give you the name of the unit, as instructions etc are in the MH and it's gone away to have the fridge fixed. No problems showing on the front screen, but won't freeze down. Hopefully I will have it back soon Hope this is of help.
Rgd's,

perhaps when you get it back, you post the make please,

wheres you m/h gone to?, my at autotrail having a new shower unit fitted:Sad: and they havn't got the part:Sad::Sad:

R

richard863

Deleted User
Chipping a Fiat

I fitted a well known chip to my van and was less than impressed. Took it off and sold it. Then went and had the engine remapped,similar performance. The mapping was done by Boosters. Eventually Alex came to Milton Keynes where we have a company with a rolling road. The fun then started, the gauges said the BHP was 123, my basic according to Fiat should have been 149BHP. The fault was a out of spec Boost valve fitted in Italy. After various adjustments and road runs I now have 179BHP with no smoke. I then did a oil change and filled up with Magnatex . The upshot, is now the Flair pulls like a dream in all gears, its great with cruise selected. Performance fuel wise, not brilliant. When towing a C2 (1ton) I get between 18/20MPG without 26/28 MPG but my basic weight is 4820Kgs (weigh bridge).
My insurance company treat it as a economy device.

Sorry being a newby put it on the wrong thread:Doh:

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
I fitted a well known chip to my van and was less than impressed. Took it off and sold it. Then went and had the engine remapped,similar performance. The mapping was done by Boosters. Eventually Alex came to Milton Keynes where we have a company with a rolling road. The fun then started, the gauges said the BHP was 123, my basic according to Fiat should have been 149BHP. The fault was a out of spec Boost valve fitted in Italy. After various adjustments and road runs I now have 179BHP with no smoke. I then did a oil change and filled up with Magnatex . The upshot, is now the Flair pulls like a dream in all gears, its great with cruise selected. Performance fuel wise, not brilliant. When towing a C2 (1ton) I get between 18/20MPG without 26/28 MPG but my basic weight is 4820Kgs (weigh bridge).

thanks, just had a look on their web site, I see they do the shows, anybody else used this typre of upgrade?

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
perhaps when you get it back, you post the make please,

wheres you m/h gone to?, my at autotrail having a new shower unit fitted:Sad: and they havn't got the part:Sad::Sad:

Hi Seb, rang the MH suplier and tracked the fitter down to Nick Thompson on 07973 116205. The unit is called a Speed Hawk BHP system. and is £300 plus fitting. It can be refitted to other vehicles as well should you change them, and they have a web site with all the details etc. My M/H went to Clwyd caravans to have the fridge fixed being as its my nearest dealer. They've changed the control panel, but fridge was still getting warm this morning. Good its a warranty job. Mpg is still at 25+ on the way back, may see you at Malvern if you go, feel free to come and have a look. We will be in the disabled area.
Rgd's Graham.

OP
OP
Scout

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
Hi Seb, rang the MH suplier and tracked the fitter down to Nick Thompson on 07973 116205. The unit is called a Speed Hawk BHP system. and is £300 plus fitting. It can be refitted to other vehicles as well should you change them, and they have a web site with all the details etc. My M/H went to Clwyd caravans to have the fridge fixed being as its my nearest dealer. They've changed the control panel, but fridge was still getting warm this morning. Good its a warranty job. Mpg is still at 25+ on the way back, may see you at Malvern if you go, feel free to come and have a look. We will be in the disabled area.
Rgd's Graham.

thanks getting to back me, hope the fridge works properly soon,sounds a bit iffy still though?

wont be be at Malvern, we should be in France then hopefully, shame it would have been nice to have a look, Im not going to decied on which way to go untill after our long run, it would be daft to to do it just before going abroad just in case of gremlins.

Talking of gremlins going over to autotrail to pick up the unit in about an hour, I hope they managed to get the part or i'll have to back again next week,I need the m/h for a family bbq at bury cc site this weekend (in the rain):Doh:

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
Tiderus and Chiping

Tiderus, Can you tell me is your motor home 3.0ltr new engine and is it the Tagg mod please as i have the 3.0ltr 157BHP in my Autotrail 840D Tagg and only getting 18-19 with a smart car on "A" frame and would like to see more MPG`s.

With no car on the back best is only 21 mpg`s @60 mph. :Doh::Doh::Doh:

john

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Tiderus, Can you tell me is your motor home 3.0ltr new engine and is it the Tagg mod please as i have the 3.0ltr 157BHP in my Autotrail 840D Tagg and only getting 18-19 with a smart car on "A" frame and would like to see more MPG`s.

With no car on the back best is only 21 mpg`s @60 mph. :Doh::Doh::Doh:

john

Hi John, I don't think your is half bad. Especially as you are towing. Mine would be doing the same at best without the computor mod fitted. Yes mine is the 3.0 ltr 157bhp tag axel 649 highline 6 berth model, same as yours. As its an 09 I think it's the new engine one. The point being that this system seems to have the same extra power, and more frugal than just having the engine mapped. As on my last one same spec Bessacarr. With the extra power I tend to be lighter on the throttle, which explains the extra mpg. I would expect more mpg if you had it fitted. You need to see how long you are going to keep it, as to whether its worth the extra expense. But you can overtake a lot easier.

Regd's
Graham.

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
chip

HI,Tiderus thank u for info we may be at Malvan this year if wife okalso in the disabbled area will let you no and have talk.

boosters

Free Member
Jan 16, 2008
cambridgeshire
Funster No

Hi Richard
Nice to see you on this site,as mentioned in your post the tuning box was poor compared to a proper remap,this is because any tuning box only works by pushing more fuel into the engine,where as a proper remap works on all paramaters of the map.
Tuning boxes are now old technology and cannot be compared in any way with the performance of a proper bespoke remap.
As for price many of the better type boxes such as steinbauer are more expensive than a remap,as for cheaper boxes that clip onto the fuel rail pressure sensor thereby upping the pressure from the fuel pump to push more fuel,people who use this system run a great risk of damaging there fuel pump.
Also because of the economic climate we as a company now offer 2 types of modification,the 1st being the same as most of the companies at the shows offering upto 25% more bhp and torque at a budget price far better than any tuning box.
Also for the customer who can afford that little bit extra we offer our own bespoke premium mapping service,tailored exactly to what you require offering 35% more bhp and torque,this is far more than the wow factor experienced with a standard remap.
One last thing chipping a vehicle is actually remapping,it is a term for old ecu,s where the eprom (ie chip) is one time programmable.This type of ecu has to be stripped and the eprom (chip) unsoldered,this is the read and a mod file made,a new eprom is rewritten and resoldered into the ecu.The term used is chipped.
A lot of people use the term chipped for a power box.
please feel free to pm me if you would like any further advice.
Regards
Alex

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
HI,Tiderus thank u for info we may be at Malvan this year if wife okalso in the disabbled area will let you no and have talk.

Great if you can make it Potjoe, Always a good show, We have the Kontiki 649 with a shaped towbar and a step on top, great for cleaning the camera. pull anything, and only cost £38.

Rgd's Graham.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Also because of the economic climate we as a company now offer 2 types of modification,the 1st being the same as most of the companies at the shows offering upto 25% more bhp and torque at a budget price far better than any tuning box.
Also for the customer who can afford that little bit extra we offer our own bespoke premium mapping service,tailored exactly to what you require offering 35% more bhp and torque,this is far more than the wow factor experienced with a standard remap.

::bigsmile: Why 2 different types of tuning and probably prices? Surely programming is the same. Perhaps a little more time to program to optimise the set up? Is there a LARGE difference in price? Is the budget tuning inferior?

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back