chiping a ducato 2.8

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by SC 05 OUT, Jul 14, 2009.

1. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Hi..

any body had fiat 2.8 chipped, does it work, both power and economy? I find it a bit hard to belive some of the adds, what about insurance do they use it as an excuse to put up the premiums a small fortune?

what about remapping? if you fit a new chip you can reverse it should you need to? I suppose remapping reversal is paying twice

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

easiest way is a plug-in black box.

original ecu stays in place and the box plugs into the wiring.

diy jobbie and just as easy to remove.:thumb:

3. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

We went down the chip route through Van AAken who no longer trade, but i must admit it does give the 2.8JTD a lot more power which in turn reduces the 4th to 5th gear changing on those long motorway slopes/hills,

I can remove the chip which is a small box about the size of mobile phone that is connected to the engine battery and then the wiring is inter laced with the existing wires to the injectors, takes about 10/15 minutes to remove and the same to refit

As for fuel economy i would say that it really hasn't made any significant difference, albeit since the fuel price rise last year I have been driving a lot slower and hopefully smoother to try and increase my fuel consumption.

hope that helps

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i used to use starchip or super chip in vw gti.s . just had to open the ecu gently pull the chip out put in new chip refit lid away you go not more speed but better for towing. fuel cosumption drive it harder keep putting it in.

5. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Not telling your insurance company will certainly give them a cast iron excuse not to pay up. Some companies don't seem fussed about it (Comfort for instance - they just asked to see a copy of the result; this was a re-mapping) whereas others get all excited about it. I've heard of companies refusing to pay up because you've put a stainless steel exhaust on, or alloy wheels, and not told them:Eek!:. Any excuse will do, it seems.:Angry:

Yes, you can remove a chip or an inline mod. but if your claim was for something a bit serious and traumatic you'd likely forget to put it back like it was.

John

6. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Tried having my last motorhome chipped, (Peugeot 2.2) but the guy who came to do it, everything he tried, was a no go,he apologised profusely,and would'nt accept any money, even for fuel,but people I've spoken to say it's good..............However, I did read on another forum some guy who had it done, his pistons collapsed?? allegedly!!
    Is this a case of ya pays ya money etc etc etc

7. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,
    Sorry I forgot to mention that Safeguard Insurance were notified that I had the Smart Box fitted and they were quiet happy with no additional premium

8. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

looking at it further it seems there two differant upgrades "power" which may give a "ltttle" better mpg, and enconomy which is suposed to increess mgp 10% or more (2/3mpg???)...more hill power would be nice, and a little extra boost when overtaking must be helpfull, but I must admit I'l like to try befor I buy....who's got one

I think the poeple at shows who said 28/30 mpg were telliung me porkies

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  9. dshague

dshague Funster

10. Tiderus

Tiderus Read Only Funster

Hi Seb,
    I had my last 3.0 ltr Ducato chipped, and noticed a big difference. So on changing it this year to another 3.0 ltr Kontiki, I asked for the same to be fitted. On collection they said they had had a problem, and fitted a separate unit which had a switch on the key ring to revert it back. So on the way home some after 150 miles I took the MPG reading at 18.9. (This was what I expected for a new tight engine on a large tag axel MH.) I hit the switch to try it, and noticed more power straight away. The following 70 odd miles were checked again and this time recorded 25.5. It now does about 24.5 to 25.9 on normal driving. Without throwing the passingers around. Sorry I cant give you the name of the unit, as instructions etc are in the MH and it's gone away to have the fridge fixed. No problems showing on the front screen, but won't freeze down. Hopefully I will have it back soon Hope this is of help.
    Rgd's,

11. Supertractorman

Supertractorman Read Only Funster

Had my Fiat 2.8 JTD remapped and it was money well spent especially as you can stay in top gear on Motorway hills. I can tow 1.5 tons of trailer with a tractor on it and not know it is there. Fuel consumption is only better when not towing and keeping at 58 to 60mph.
    When I had it done by TB Turbo I was told that Fiat engines are set up as if they were on the poorest fuel in the worst country as opposed to our quality fuels here. Only think you will do your engine in if you hammer it like " white van man ".:Doh: Only had to send a copy of the remap to Comfort Insurance for info.:thumb:

12. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

hi Seb

We had our previous 2-0 MH remapped. The difference was amazing in terms of performance.
    Remapping is slightly different to chipping. Chipping is where the actual chip is taken out of the ECU and replaced with a different one giving different instructions. The danger of this is if it is not done properly the chip can de-solder causing unreliability.
    Remapping is just re-programming the current chip that is in the van. Its just the same result but without having to tamper with the internals of the ECU therefore more reliable.

I have heard mixed reviews of the black box, but I know someone whom has one and is more than happy with it.

Some of the disadvantages I found was that the MPG actually decreased. This was because I found myself with that much more power I wanted to use it more, hence less mpg.

I rang my insurance co, whom were not interested. I always ensured I changed the oil more regular as well.

Having a 2.8 now I feel it has plenty of enough power. It climbs hills without problems and pulls like a train

13. MotorhomeWales

MotorhomeWales Read Only Funster

WoW! Tuning will be launching a new product in the coming months. This will allow you to re-map your own vehicle. Allowing you to revert it back to original when ever you like!! More details soon!!!!

14. Sunty

Sunty Read Only Funster

chipset

Like Tractorman, I had my 2.3 Ducato re-mapped by TB Turbo of Lancaster. Superb!
    much more responsive, climbs the gears easier and stays in 5th for most of the time even when climbing motorway hills.. Much more power in mid-range which is excellent for overtaking. Fuel consumption marginally improved but I don't race!. Arthur

15. nick 700

nick 700 Read Only Funster

sounds like this is the same as the sps that revo do for tuning vag cars on theres you can increase or decreacse the timing and boost so in summer you can turn the boost down a bit as the air is not as dence and winter wack it back up so you have more power then when it goes back to the dealer for any work you can turn the map off and they are none the wiser

16. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

perhaps when you get it back, you post the make please,

wheres you m/h gone to?, my at autotrail having a new shower unit fitted:Sad: and they havn't got the part:Sad::Sad:

17. richard863

richard863 Deleted User

Chipping a Fiat

I fitted a well known chip to my van and was less than impressed. Took it off and sold it. Then went and had the engine remapped,similar performance. The mapping was done by Boosters. Eventually Alex came to Milton Keynes where we have a company with a rolling road. The fun then started, the gauges said the BHP was 123, my basic according to Fiat should have been 149BHP. The fault was a out of spec Boost valve fitted in Italy. After various adjustments and road runs I now have 179BHP with no smoke. I then did a oil change and filled up with Magnatex . The upshot, is now the Flair pulls like a dream in all gears, its great with cruise selected. Performance fuel wise, not brilliant. When towing a C2 (1ton) I get between 18/20MPG without 26/28 MPG but my basic weight is 4820Kgs (weigh bridge).
    My insurance company treat it as a economy device.

Sorry being a newby put it on the wrong thread:Doh:

18. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

thanks, just had a look on their web site, I see they do the shows, anybody else used this typre of upgrade?

19. Tiderus

Tiderus Read Only Funster

Hi Seb, rang the MH suplier and tracked the fitter down to Nick Thompson on 07973 116205. The unit is called a Speed Hawk BHP system. and is £300 plus fitting. It can be refitted to other vehicles as well should you change them, and they have a web site with all the details etc. My M/H went to Clwyd caravans to have the fridge fixed being as its my nearest dealer. They've changed the control panel, but fridge was still getting warm this morning. Good its a warranty job. Mpg is still at 25+ on the way back, may see you at Malvern if you go, feel free to come and have a look. We will be in the disabled area.
    Rgd's Graham.

20. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

thanks getting to back me, hope the fridge works properly soon,sounds a bit iffy still though?

wont be be at Malvern, we should be in France then hopefully, shame it would have been nice to have a look, Im not going to decied on which way to go untill after our long run, it would be daft to to do it just before going abroad just in case of gremlins.

Talking of gremlins going over to autotrail to pick up the unit in about an hour, I hope they managed to get the part or i'll have to back again next week,I need the m/h for a family bbq at bury cc site this weekend (in the rain):Doh: