LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i been told about a chip for the engine which gives more mpg i think its the same as mapping but can be swapped between diff vehicles can anyone advice please

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There are some kits out there. A particular one that comes to mind is sold at some motorhome shows. It looks like a tobacco tin, is easily fitted using the two wires, you just attach them to your battery, that's it... prepare to be amazed.

Based around perpetual nicotine molecule aligning magnets, promising a whopping 50% reduction in fuel costs. Seizing the opportunity, and being no mug, I bought two to get the max 100% saving and now don't have to buy fuel. My travel is now virtually free, I say virtually because I had to pay £150 each for the tobacco tins first. :Blush:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
yes tere is such a thing. It is called a torqutec unit and simply plugs in. If you search teh internet on the difference between this type of unit and a remap you can make your own mind up. They do not work the same and many believe that the torqutec type of box can do damage, but hey, some think a remap will..

Broken Link Removed

I prefer a remap and have had my last 3 vans remapped with no issue.

Link Removed

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
i been told about a chip for the engine which gives more mpg i think its the same as mapping but can be swapped between diff vehicles can anyone advice please
I think the one you are looking for could be 'turbotune' from www.energytuning.co.uk
We have one fitted to our 2.2 Fiat.The good thing is you can switch it on or off with various choices of power/mpg. I only bought ours so I can 'turn the wick up when we are towing' and for that it works well.and still gives an indicated 29mph (yes I know thsi is not accurate). As for just the economy mode I have never actually tried it out.I believe these are about £150. about the same price of one tank full at the moment.:Eeek:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
sorry, just re-read my post. been working nights and no spell check at work :Blush:

What I should of said is that they are not the same and don't work the same. Please read the links for an explanation.
:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
thx for ya advice as for power that is not the reason i will have a chip im lookin more into economy

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
My remap gives marginal improved MPG, maybe 1-2mpg and having had it done on all 3 vans, I have some experience of it so can only speak as I find.

The best MPG increase I ever found was going from 21mpg to 26 mpg by simply reducing my motorway speed from 65-55... I know it sounds obvious, but it works.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We are agents for and use with good results "Tunit" google them for a local fitter:thumb:
Geo

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
My remap gives marginal improved MPG, maybe 1-2mpg and having had it done on all 3 vans, I have some experience of it so can only speak as I find.

The best MPG increase I ever found was going from 21mpg to 26 mpg by simply reducing my motorway speed from 65-55... I know it sounds obvious, but it works.

As above, i drive trucks, so am used to driving at a steady 50-56, in the MH, I do the same, the remap i have allows me to stay in top gear a LOT longer especially on gradients thereby saving fuel.

If you liken your MH to a 7.5 tonner, as aerodynamic as a housebrick, it may interest you to know, that MOST of them are now restdicted to 56, a hell of a lot, are being restricted by their operators to 50.......purely to save fuel.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
As above, i drive trucks, so am used to driving at a steady 50-56, in the MH, I do the same, the remap i have allows me to stay in top gear a LOT longer especially on gradients thereby saving fuel.

If you liken your MH to a 7.5 tonner, as aerodynamic as a housebrick,
it may interest you to know, that MOST of them are now restdicted to 56, a hell of a lot, are being restricted by their operators to 50.......purely to save fuel.

How dare you equate my 7.5 Ton Rv to a house brick
I will not have house bricks disrespected in this way:Blush:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I agree that both chips and remapping are good for increasing torque and reducing MPG but dont go forgetting it takes a lot of extra miles to the gallon before they pay for themselves savings wise. On my 4x4 I worked out it was going to take about 3000 miles before I broke even

Another important point is to say not all chips out there are the same and those that plug into the common rail are apparently going to be an MOT fail according to a friend at the garage where I get it MOTed. New regulations coming in later this year. Back to the chips though, the ones that go on the common rail cause the engine to smoke more and if not precisely adjusted will cause the engine to go into limp mode if you accelerate hard. Remapping adjusts several parameters in the engine management ECU and if done properly avoids these problems

A good quality chip and a proper remap will cost abot the same

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Any accessory will take time to pay for itself.

I have heard many stories of the benefits of remapping, but are they worth the investment?
Stonking up a hill in top gear demands that more fuel needs to be burnt in order to create the extra torque required to pull that higher gear. How can that possibly improve economy?

I agree with Haggers on this one. the best way to improve mpg is to slow down!
On our recent ski trip to the Alps, we drove at 60mpg all the way and returned only 22mpg. Usually, we return 25mpg by sticking to our legal max speed of 50mpg on A-roads.

A remap might improve mpg, but only marginally. Modern diesels have to run very cleanly by law, thus they are very efficient. A manufacturer can't get Euro 5 approval by pumping soot and unburnt fuel out of the exhaust.............

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
As our Ducato has a Gross of 4100kg (up plated from 3850kg) it had a lower 5th gear as "standard". During our first long tour of around 2000 miles we returned 21mpg useing thre self fitted MagicSpeed wherever possible and cruising at 55-60mph.
I then changed the 5th gear to the basic higher ratio which reduced the RPM by 800 at 60mph resulting in the reduction in noise level but meant it was unable to hold 5th on an incline and so the fuel condomption stayed about the same (22mpg) under the same conditions.
The next stage was to have it re-mapped by Power4Economy & under the same conditions it now regularly returns 26-27mpg. So the chipping CAN mean economy as long as you don't "use" the extra power.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
don't be fooled by claims of increased mileage.

a member on fun (cant remember who or when) did a specific and calculated test of one of the magic boxes.......he got his money back after the manufacturer did various 'tweeks' with no improvement.

a full ECU remap will alter many parameters of the engines management system....a black box generally only increases the fuel common rail pressure so injecting more fuel per injector 'open' time to increase power

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We are agents for and use with good results "Tunit" google them for a local fitter:thumb:
Geo
looks nowt like you Geo !!!!

Professor Geo.

proftunit1.jpg

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
I agree that both chips and remapping are good for increasing torque and reducing MPG but dont go forgetting it takes a lot of extra miles to the gallon before they pay for themselves savings wise. On my 4x4 I worked out it was going to take about 3000 miles before I broke even

Another important point is to say not all chips out there are the same and[HI] those that plug into the common rail are apparently going to be an MOT fail according to a friend at the garage where I get it MOTed. New regulations coming in later this year. [/HI]Back to the chips though, the ones that go on the common rail cause the engine to smoke more and if not precisely adjusted will cause the engine to go into limp mode if you accelerate hard. Remapping adjusts several parameters in the engine management ECU and if done properly avoids these problems

A good quality chip and a proper remap will cost abot the same

Could you elaborate on this please?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As told to me....when the new MOT regs come in later this year (april i believe) any sign of a tuning box being fitted to the engine will be an MOT fail. This wont happen with remaps as the MOT tester does not have the oportunity or information to plug in and test each ECU for changes.

From chatting it seems that VOSA are aware that people are fitting these boxes and that they prevent the engine from meeting the Euro4 and Euro5 standards that they were designed for. I thought this would only be for LEZ zones, but apparently it will be across the country.

I believe that Geo on this site is an MOT tester, so maybe he could confirm the details for us?

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
As told to me....when the new MOT regs come in later this year (april i believe) any sign of a tuning box being fitted to the engine will be an MOT fail. This wont happen with remaps as the MOT tester does not have the oportunity or information to plug in and test each ECU for changes.

From chatting it seems that VOSA are aware that people are fitting these boxes and that[HI] they prevent the engine from meeting the Euro4 and Euro5 standards that they were designed for.[/HI] I thought this would only be for LEZ zones, but apparently it will be across the country.

I believe that Geo on this site is an MOT tester, so maybe he could confirm the details for us?

I understood that one of the effects of the decent chip systems was to optimise fuel combustion, so why would that compromise Euro4/5 standards? However, I am no automotive guru and await Geo's pronouncement! :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
As I said, those that plug into the common rail are apparently affected as they increase the rail pressure by adjusting timings and injecting more fuel. Gives more power but also more soot/carbon and unburnt fuel get pushed out the exhaust

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back