child seat

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by samany, Feb 14, 2014.

1. samany

samany Read Only Funster

does any one know the laws regarding travelling with a childs carseat fitted to front passenger sideof motorhome, we were thinking of taking our grandchild on a trip with us, we have no other seat belts apart from driver and front passenger, would appreciate any comments.

2. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

Provided it a suitable child seat it can be fitted to front passenger seat but if air bags fitted they need to turned off !!!!

3. samany

samany Read Only Funster

Many thanks cammocam1, yes it is a suitable seat, l thought airbags should be deactivated, thanks for confirmation.:thumb:

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Fitting a child car seat

You must:

only use a child car seat with a seat belt that has a diagonal strap - unless it’s specifically designed for use with a lap seat belt

deactivate any front airbags before fitting a rear-facing baby seat in a front seat

not fit a child car seat in side-facing seats

• Like Like x 1
  5. samany

samany Read Only Funster

Will do all that, many thanks pappajohn.:thumb:

6. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Don't forget that laws will apply to your remaining passenger, who will be seat belt less..

If your rear seats are sideway facing I think it's your decision to way up any risks as it appears a grey law area but if it's a forward facing seat, passenger must have a seat belt.

I think, I may be wrong though, I have had a bottle of bubbly!:thumb:

7. kat_lewis

kat_lewis Read Only Funster

As already stated re seatbelt fixings. Our grandaughter travels like that when away with me.She thinks it is her seat and has even suggested to grandpa that he sits in the back when he joins our expeditions :RollEyes:

8. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

OK in this country but illegal in France under 10 year old, though Ive never known anyone who was done for it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Question: how many people did your insurance company insure it for? If it is a pure 2 berth did you insure it as such?

10. Hudders1

Hudders1 Read Only Funster

When I was looking for a motorhome I came across this issue with having two young boys. I spent allot of time researching the law and safety aspects and in the end side facing seats are a no no with children and a spoke to my insurance company who said you will not be covered. I also spoke to a mate who is a traffic cop who said its a very grey area but said why would you risk your children's safety putting them side ways also it's down to what your van is regestared for ie 2 or 4 berth.

11. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

I think the OP was asking about putting a child's seat in the passenger seat. The side seats , if in fact that's what he's got would be for his wife (grandma).

12. Hudders1

Hudders1 Read Only Funster

Sorry I read it wrong

13. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Didn't know that....Got away with it!

14. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

Airbags

I believe the bags have to be deactivated if the child is sitting in the front seat and facing the seat but that is usually how a baby is carried. I
    f facing forward bags have to be switched on

15. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I thought I remembered something about France and children in the front seats. I've never needed to heed it but worthwhile knowing.

Why have 4 berths and only 2 travelling seats with belts???? It's not even legal to retrofit them according to one of the dealers I spoke to, but that was just what he said.

The only reason I could think of for not fitting the same number of belts and berths is because the payload isn't big enough.

16. Minxy Girl

The problem with trying to retrofit seat belts isn't just the belts themselves but the framework needed to make them safe, they aren't just fitted onto existing 'timber' dinette seats, they have to be reinforced with a very strong metal frame within the seat itself now, also the work involved in doing it would be pricey and so not worth it, and that is if you could find someone who would be WILLING to do it ... which I doubt you would.

Not fitting the same number of seatbelts as berths depends not only on payload but on the layout, it is a definite NO-NO for side-facing seats to have seatbelts and if the lounge is in the rear of the MH even with some forward facing seating it would be unlikely to offer any protection from a rear impact in the vast majority of MHs with this layout.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Minxy Girl

The only other thing that is the 'elephant' in the room is what about the safety of the 'other' passenger, ie wife! Whilst taking care that your grandchild is safe is one thing, but travelling in a 'lounge' type seat is different to a seat made for travelling in and doesn't have the same amount of support to stop a passenger swaying around as you travel. Are you really happy to have your wife 'at risk' by travelling in the rear without any restraint etc?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I realise that (and about the fixings of belts) - but still wonder how people travel with four berths and only two travel seats? Do they take a second car? I just find it rather odd but am probably missing something along the line (apart from my mind that is).

19. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

Switching airbags off is only a requirement with a rear facing child seat and not a front facing one.

20. Minxy Girl

Some people do travel separately to get round the lack of safe travel seats but that is probably the exception rather than the norm. If a MH has 4 berths it doesn't mean it needs to have that many travel seats, for example some people who have an overcab bed may want to use that as their double bed instead of re-arranging the lounge seating, or may prefer to sleep separately, some use the overcab purely as storage. There are some vans which are the opposite though, we have a camper with 4 travel seats but only 3 berths ... so you could ask where the 4th traveller would sleep! :BigGrin:

When people buy MHs this is one thing that they need to think of when choosing the one for them, some decide to get a larger MH than they really want just 'in case' a grandchild wants to go on holiday with them ... and then are unhappy when they don't or they are 'stuck' with a much bigger MH when they're on their own! Others put what they want first - quite rightly in my view - and on the few occasions that they want to take grandchildren away then a second vehicle could be used.

The biggest problem, though, isn't necessarily the MHs with more berths than seats, but MHs with insufficient payload for all those able to travel in it! It isn't unknown for a family MH with the same number of berths as travel seats to only realistically be capable of carrying a couple of adults! :Doh: