Chieftain Electrics while on the move (1 Viewer)

Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi, I'm a new member and have a 2015 AT Chieftain and would like to know if anybody knows how to modify the electrics so they work in the habitation area whilst driving as they do in the European models. I'm aware this is against NCC regs, but the van is going to be in Europe. Any advice welcome.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It doesn't matter where you use it - no-one is going to check. It will be a relay that operates when the ignition switch is on. Unless another owner of the same van is able to say where it is it's a question of listening for the 'click' to track it down. The most likely place is part of the van habitation charger / control unit. If it is a single-function relay the easiest mod is to prevent it from operating by removing its control wire or by bypassing the pair of contacts that break the circuit. Have you approached Autotrail for a wiring diagram?

OP
OP
Jo n Steve

Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Hi Tony
Thanks for both replies, new to this. I will try and find the click as you say. Always a bit worried of alerting AT due to warranty etc. Hopefully some likeminded AT owner will see the post.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
i did it on my scout , involved finding the wire inside the sargent and snipping it and shrink tube the bare ends. i will have a look and see if i can find the info i used . mine is a 2007 model though so could be different . you could also give sargent a call too

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
To start with NCC regs are absolutely nothing to worry about, abide by or even consider.
If they wanna make rules then let THEIR members worry about them ! :)

To answer the OP, it is not an easy job and you will have to have some know how..

You COULD just cut the thin orange wire and put a switch in it which would stop the hab area switching out, BUT, it would also stop the fridge switching over to 12v and may well stop the hab batteries charging from the alternator .. Though I have NO idea if that would happen or not as I never tried it to be honest.

To get over the fridge switching would be easy enough using a relay from the orange wire ( feed side ) to the relay operating the fridge..

I took a view that in reality the only circuit we used regularly when on the move was the water pump. To that end I fitted a relay which over rode the cut off to the water pump.
I also added a 12v socket to the water pump circuit in to which, if it was needed, a light or indeed anything else could be plugged when on the move.
In reality that socket is used to plug in a USB charger which we have the fones and what have you plugged in to
I did post a thread with all the details and wiring diagram on here but certain members berated my efforts and generally took the pee..
I have not bothered to update the information and diagrams since but the original info is still all good and relevant..

OP
OP
Jo n Steve

Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
thanks Jaws.......i will look at tomorrow when have a clear mind, Sunday night in the local village pub!!

Many thanks
Steve

OP
OP
Jo n Steve

Jo n Steve

Free Member
Dec 2, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well, managed to sort this with the help of a friend from work. The AT Chieftain (2015) has a floor mounted fuse box located behind the driver's seat, if you unscrew the four retaining screws that hold it to the floor, underneath is a white terminal block with 8 wires coming from it (see picture). I disconnected the terminal block, cut the blue wire and put a small rocker switch in line. I drilled a hole in the side of the plastic fascia below the seat belt to allow me to switch it on or off while driving. When switched on you do have to switch the power button on on the Sargent unit again.
Fridge still works, water pump, lights, 12v sockets and toilet. Only thing that does not work is the charging of the leisure batteries.
Passengers that are strapped in can now read with the small directional LED lights while on the move. An hour from arriving at your destination just switch off to top up the leisure batteries. SIMPLES!....or it was for my friend!!

Attachments

• Wire.jpeg
    Wire.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 45

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Don't know why they do it like that. One of the nicest things about the continental MH's is that everything in the back works while you are on the move. Cannot for the life of me see why you need it turned off. The SWIFT we had used a Sargent Panel and that was always a pain. SWMBO would head for the Ladies and forget to switch the water on.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Well, managed to sort this with the help of a friend from work. The AT Chieftain (2015) has a floor mounted fuse box located behind the driver's seat, if you unscrew the four retaining screws that hold it to the floor, underneath is a white terminal block with 8 wires coming from it (see picture). I disconnected the terminal block, cut the blue wire and put a small rocker switch in line. I drilled a hole in the side of the plastic fascia below the seat belt to allow me to switch it on or off while driving. When switched on you do have to switch the power button on on the Sargent unit again.
Fridge still works, water pump, lights, 12v sockets and toilet. Only thing that does not work is the charging of the leisure batteries.
Passengers that are strapped in can now read with the small directional LED lights while on the move. An hour from arriving at your destination just switch off to top up the leisure batteries. SIMPLES!....or it was for my friend!!

You could wire the batteries together with a switch and fuse inline & then all batteries would charge from any source. I seem to recall someone else doing this recently. Just remember to disconnect when parked to ensure the vehicle battery doesn't go flat. You could put the switch in the cupboard next to the sargent unit so the wiring would be short.

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
R
Don't know why they do it like that. One of the nicest things about the continental MH's is that everything in the back works while you are on the move. Cannot for the life of me see why you need it turned off. The SWIFT we had used a Sargent Panel and that was always a pain. SWMBO would head for the Ladies and forget to switch the water on.
Rules is rules!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What an odd rule. Our UK made van has everything working when driving: heating, USB charging, lights if we wanted them. I guess the idea is to stop folk making dinner* on the move!

* Supper or Tea, depending where you live. :)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Our very British Swift powered the 12v socket and the spotlight by the belted travelling seats and the kids could watch dvds on the move.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our very British Swift powered the 12v socket and the spotlight by the belted travelling seats and the kids could watch dvds on the move.
Was it like that from new? It is VERY unusual for a British built MH to do that, especially a Swift! John's does it because he has a Murvi PVC so the converter intentionally allows the use of the rear electrics with the ignition on, but any of the larger British MH manufacturer's always make it so the rear electrics (other than the fridge's 12v supply) are automatically turned off on the move.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
What an odd rule. Our UK made van has everything working when driving: heating, USB charging, lights if we wanted them. I guess the idea is to stop folk making dinner* on the move!

* Supper or Tea, depending where you live. :)
The NCC live in the past it is a reg they made up for caravans but have never re-writen them for Mortorhomes .

Reactions: DBK

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've sent a message to the NCC to ask! I'll post their reply if and when I get it!
I wish you luck but IMV they're not going to go against their own 'rules'. If nothing else it may make them think about changing them though ... we can live in hope! :xsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Don't know why they do it like that..

Best explanation I've seen, money. If the hab electrics are shut down whist in motion it means they don't need to do an expensive CE scan of the hab side to prove it does not interfere with the engine etc.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Was it like that from new? It is VERY unusual for a British built MH to do that, especially a Swift! John's does it because he has a Murvi PVC so the converter intentionally allows the use of the rear electrics with the ignition on, but any of the larger British MH manufacturer's always make it so the rear electrics (other than the fridge's 12v supply) are automatically turned off on the move.
Yes, we had a 2013 Swift escape from new and it was like that when i bought it.
The tv 12v socket could be used for charging when travelling. The spot light above worked and the kids could read/ draw in the dark.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Best explanation I've seen, money. If the hab electrics are shut down whist in motion it means they don't need to do an expensive CE scan of the hab side to prove it does not interfere with the engine etc.
I think you mean EMC Electro mechanical compatability, in my last real job I was
Involved in doing EMC testing .

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
I think you mean EMC Electro mechanical compatability, in my last real job I was
Involved in doing EMC testing .
Hate to be smart arse but EMC isn't electro mechanical compatability it's electro magnetic compatability! i wonder what you were doing in your last job?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back