Chester Easter Gaslow fitting help

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, Mar 19, 2015.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Heres hoping

I have bought a used Gaslow kit, half full of gas, complete with hoses (I think / hope), but I have bought a couple of spares, possibly the wrong ones knowing my luck

The 2 bottle kit includes a filling point, does anybody who is coming to Chester have the right sized hole saw and sufficient skill to cut a hole in my MH :Eeek: and then enough knowledge to locate bottles and make correct connections in locker box (I can actually put the bottles in the locker)

I keep reading that these systems are as easy to fit as changing a cylinder, well I have to disagree, my bottle change has a hand screw fitting, no tools, at the very least I would need a spanner to fit this lot

I am hoping / presuming the same regulator with hand screw will be retained, the system doesn't have an auto changeover

I am a willing observer and will supply coffee / beer / wine etc for any useful helpers, anybody else just wanting to watch and learn bring your own beer :D

Note to anybody offering help I don't have tools :) other than a multi meter, spare fuses and bottle opener :D

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Yes David for you (y)

You will need a changeover at some time or you cannot connect both bottles to the regulator and will have to keep swapping the hose between bottles

• Like Like x 4
  3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Thanks Andy

we can also compare BP readings, I am going to have to upgrade my monitor to one like yours before Chester, mine is good but nothing like your spec, but at least mine gives lower readings :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I will take a photo of exactly what I have in case I need to buy anything, it does seem to be a very simple system, especially without auto changeover, not even any gauges on what I have are they worth the trouble?

5. Techno

With two bottles you can live without a gauges. You'll get to know how long you get from one bottle and then know how long you have before the second is going to be empty and that time is how long you have to refill.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

David, I suspect I have the same hand screw fittings as you. Gas-it provided me with adapters to allow me to continue using them. I think this is the required adapter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Techno

Yes that's it Phil
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  8. denisejoe

denisejoe Funster Life Member

we have an auto changeover but never use it when one bottle runs out turn it off and turn the full one on. fill up soon after but never a rush except in winter as you never know how cold its going to get, you also fill both bottles not just the empty one

joe

• Like Like x 1
  9. Techno

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rob Paula and Pablo

Rob Paula and Pablo

11. Rob Paula and Pablo

Rob Paula and Pablo

12. Techno

Similar perhaps but NOT 37 mb

13. Rob Paula and Pablo

Rob Paula and Pablo

this is the gaslow one the same as on my van it might help to link in on the web page.

14. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I installed one last weekend and had the choice of putting a hole through the side panel of our PVC or through the locker floor and placing the filler on the skirting - which we did. It was easier to access and just required a hole cutter to go through the locker floor and a method of attaching the filler to the skirt (I used some treated wood to space it away from some some ridges in the metal work.

I bought a 70mm hole cutter from Screwfix (approx £8) for the side panel but decided against making the hole - especially as it would have ended up reducing space in the storage cupboard where it would have entered the vehicle.

You will need to ensure that the regulator in your van can cope with the pressure from your bottles and the fittings for your gaslow bottles fit your existing regulator. I bought a combined regulator and changeover system for approx £40.

15. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

IMG_0380.JPG IMG_0381.JPG

now I am already more confused than is good for me

I actually also bought 2 x hoses from another funster that he had unused as spares, I have checked those and think that one of them will be a stainless steel replacement for the rubber hose in photo based on the fittings, that hose is possibly best changed anyway

My other confusion is that I thought I had read that a 2 bottle system had 2 different bottles, I cant see anything on these to tell them apart

So I need the adaptor as mentioned by Phil, will my standard propane regulator then be OK? our MH is away till the weekend having its suspension doctored so cant photograph that bit till Sunday

Anybody spot anything else obvious that I will need?

16. Techno

17. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

When I picked it up the seller had the long SS hose connected to the filler, then the short SS hose linking the 2 bottles

He did say I would need to replace the rubber hose due to age and missing washer that he said connected to his regulator

Are the tanks at least right?? :LOL::LOL:

edit - I have at least just spotted the difference in the fittings on top of the cylinders

18. Rob Paula and Pablo

Rob Paula and Pablo

19. Techno

Tanks ok and hoses too apparently, they didn't look like JIC in the picture but what you say confirms that they are (y)
    The rubber one is 21.8 to W20 but if you are using your hand wheel POL W20 it will be redundant anyway but you would need the 21.8 POL adapter as Phil linked to.
    I have a spare adapter for a fair price if you want it.

EDIT you may need longer screws for the fill point depending on how thick your van skirt is? As it was previously fitted to that mounting bracket that would have been inside the locker

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  20. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

A very useful and honourable last post, thank you Robert, hope to see you back as a full member (y)