Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Hi, thanks for the replies, the account said i could no longer reply to the thread so i hope a moderator would be kind enough to link or move this reply appropriately.
If you pay your £10 subs, like everyone else on here, you will get unlimited access to the forum and people may take you more seriously.
I'm afraid I just don't believe there are people running around Aires with massive bottles of anaesthetic gas and the skills to administer it safely. There is evidence from the medical world that the amount of gas required to render people unconscious for 12 hours, without killing them, would be massive, probably worth more on the black market as gas than the cost of any motorhome found parked.
And, as far as I am aware, anaesthetic gas is not digested by the body and very unlikely to discolour stools. That was certainly not one of the many side effects I suffered with anaesthetic gas, or even chemotherapy.
Maybe another alternative could be that it was food poisoning, possibly by something administered in a restaurant, and the perpetrators followed you till you parked and fell asleep.
I don't know the answer, but I don't buy the sleeping gas robberies theory.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I think its very wrong for others who were not there to assume the victim was pissed/had a bug or whatever, some people would rather believe police/politicians than victims events, I know a guy who runs a haulage company in Rugeley Staffordshire and he had a contract with a caravan company to transport these small caravans onto the continent via France, he used to take around 6 at a time on one large trailer, his wife used to do the same trip with the same amount of caravans, he ended up giving the contract up in the end as they were gassed 3 times over a period of a few years, the last time they took the caravans on the trailer too ! one time he woke up with the cab window smashed - robbed - he got out and ran over to his wifes truck and she was still out (unconscious) with the window smashed and robbed too, every time in France ! when he first told me i must say i found it hard to believe, but actually knowing this fella for some years its not something he would make up - or give up a well paid contract which was his bread and butter ... oh and he and his wife are teetotalers !

I have also heard of a chap ( first hand) but in this day and age why hasn't anyone actually got video/photographic evidence.....not to mention toxicology reports?

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
I tend to believe The Royal College of Anaesthetists who have previously stated that they do not believe this. It would be impossible to fill the correct volume and concentration of gas into a MH, also different sized people take different amounts of gas, by now someone would have died if a large amount of gas was given incorrectly. Have you heard a gas cylinder venting gas? You can hear it. Although I do know in a very small, confined space, a large amount of CO2 makes you ill very quickly, you need to continually top it up to keep the person under.
Also ether is not an option, it would leave marks on any plastic it came into contact with - you would see it. In fact any solvent would leave a mark, I am a retired Chemical Analyst, it is just not believable. If this is so easy to do let someone carry out the experiment, to date no one credible has ?
Sorry for your loss, hope you are well insured.
regards
LC

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
[QUOTE="Don Quixote, post: 1512377, member: 22171
The thing is who are you - could you be a reporter looking for an angle on this subject and using members here to quote their experiences or not as the case my be.
.[/QUOTE]

That's an interesting thought :) although a reporter would probably pay the £10 to join.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hey Jim, great leader.
Don't knock the Alien aspect.
My great great grandfather reckoned he came to earth from the planet Zog on a supped up Honda 90 step through. He reckoned he could walk through solid walls an render folks unconcious by sprinkeling
Blue space dust on their head.
Honest guv' would I lie to you?

Yes...... I'm from the planet Zog and your grandfather wasn't there ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think its very wrong for others who were not there to assume the victim was pissed/had a bug or whatever, some people would rather believe police/politicians than victims events, I know a guy who runs a haulage company in Rugeley Staffordshire and he had a contract with a caravan company to transport these small caravans onto the continent via France, he used to take around 6 at a time on one large trailer, his wife used to do the same trip with the same amount of caravans, he ended up giving the contract up in the end as they were gassed 3 times over a period of a few years, the last time they took the caravans on the trailer too ! one time he woke up with the cab window smashed - robbed - he got out and ran over to his wifes truck and she was still out (unconscious) with the window smashed and robbed too, every time in France ! when he first told me i must say i found it hard to believe, but actually knowing this fella for some years its not something he would make up - or give up a well paid contract which was his bread and butter ... oh and he and his wife are teetotalers !

Tiredness..

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Was plenty going gas going around Ilfracombe ...mainly from Wildmans home made bread pudding .....Curry flavoured :pinocchio:::bigsmile:

Reactions: Les

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
they were gassed 3 times over a period of a few years

Funny that the French police have no confirmed record of a gas attack in France. Your mate was robbed in his sleep, no shame there. It happens all the time.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Isn't it a bit strange that these so called "gas attacks' almost always happen to caravans/motorhomes (+ the occasional sportsman) in France.
If this method of attack is so efficient why aren't villains using it for house burglaries here in the UK?
Perhaps our home grown scroats aren't as clever as the French ones or maybe the insurance scammers don't think they will get away with their tall stories here.

Just a few thoughts.
Richard.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We take these gas attacks very seriously ! So much so that both Sheila and I sleep wearing ex-Nato gas masks. We also sleep nude, so if we are at a rally and have to evacuate the MH suddenly in the night, then remember that the nakedness and gas masks are not some kinky sex game.............oh dear me no, as if we would !!!

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Yes...... I'm from the planet Zog and your grandfather wasn't there ;)
Of course he wasn't . . . . . . . He was here on earth walking through the walls of motorhomes, sprinkeling Blue space dust over its occupants and stealing their prized and insured possesions.
Anyway, he was my great grandfather so he would be at least two hundred and eleventy -six and at that age it gets harder to be in 2 places at the same time . . . . Come on get real!

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
It happens all the time.

Indeed it does Jim.

Not motorhome related but 20 odd years ago I did the usual finished uni and went bumbling round the world thing. Found a nice hostel to stay in Sydney while I looked for a job for the 3 months I was planning on being there. We were 6 to a room and for two nights running people had things go missing from their backpacks. On the third night I actually woke up and saw some strange bloke in the room who ran off once he realised that I was awake.

Had we all been gassed/drugged or something else? No, we were just a bunch of people who having been out doing stuff in the sun all day were knackered and could quite obviously sleep through anything, even in a strange place. Couldn't comment on whether the others had had a few drinks but I remember that I hadn't as I was watching my spending until I got a job. So tiredness in itself is enough not to wake up when someone is rifling through your stuff. I can only think that by the third night I was a bit on edge and not asleep properly, hence why I woke up.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We take these gas attacks very seriously ! So much so that both Sheila and I sleep wearing ex-Nato gas masks. We also sleep nude, so if we are at a rally and have to evacuate the MH suddenly in the night, then remember that the nakedness and gas masks are not some kinky sex game.............oh dear me no, as if we would !!!

Geordies?, wife is Sheila?. You're not Barry by any chance?

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Isn't it a bit strange that these so called "gas attacks' almost always happen to caravans/motorhomes (+ the occasional sportsman) in France.
If this method of attack is so efficient why aren't villains using it for house burglaries here in the UK?
Perhaps our home grown scroats aren't as clever as the French ones or maybe the insurance scammers don't think they will get away with their tall stories here.

Just a few thoughts.
Richard.
Hi Richard Not just caravans and motor homes. Truck forums love a good gassing thread. (y)

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now

Just realised, if the op IS a reporter then I am responsible for all the "Older Motorhomers kinky sex games shame" headlines in the papers shortly !!! Sorry

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Dear motorhome guy..... zxhjy bixcd nijjgv dkjxzbxk ............ what do you mean you don't understand, I'm speaking your language. Note to funsters... my stools turn a funny colour after red wine as well. :LOL::LOL::D

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Sounds more like a dodgy burger or prawns or oyster accompanied by a couple of pints and a bottle of wine produce much the same symptoms. So would a date rape drug put in your drink by waiter who has a thieving brother who can watch you retire to your camper.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
So glad many on here find this sort of thing amusing, believe what you will, everyone is entitled to their opinion and rightfully so - I know who i believe and thats all that matters to me - those who bang on about aliens need to be beamed up me thinks !

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
I do not believe for one second any story of gassing but what really frightens me is the constant claims that people were gassed and they always seem to lose a lot of jewellery and cash.

The reason it frightens me is that one day some stupid scroat hearing these stories is going to try using some sort of gas and cause one almighty explosion killing the people inside.

Initially it was rumoured to be easy start, if anybody has let that off in a confined space they will know the smell lingers for days as for other gasses I have no idea what they smell like but I do know most are very dangerous to use and will certainly leave some clue as to what was used or some sort of forensic/medical evidence would be left behind.

RD

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
This is just another stupid example of an 'I've been gassed' thread:LOL:

I have discussed this before with my son who is an anesthetist (FRCA) and he reliably informs me that it is not possible to 'gas' people in this way without killing them or having no effect at all.

Just let it go.......:rolleyes:

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Although the question has been asked on this thread I can't see a reply from the OP of which Aire he was on when the robbery occured or when this happened.

Knowing these facts might help Funsters who were in the area, perhaps even on the same Aire, to recall what they saw or heard.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
So glad many on here find this sort of thing amusing, believe what you will, everyone is entitled to their opinion and rightfully so - I know who i believe and thats all that matters to me - those who bang on about aliens need to be beamed up me thinks !

Of course we are entitled to our opinion, just as we are entitled to find others opinions funny. As for Aliens, cleverer people that me, believe they exist. And for gas attacks; cleverer people than me, those in a position to know, believe these to be a myth. ;)

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010

As you say in your catch line . . . . . " The truth is out there". . . . . . Somewhere! space is a big place . . . How can you be so cynical?
Beam me up Scotty!

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Indeed it does Jim.

Not motorhome related but 20 odd years ago I did the usual finished uni and went bumbling round the world thing. Found a nice hostel to stay in Sydney while I looked for a job for the 3 months I was planning on being there. We were 6 to a room and for two nights running people had things go missing from their backpacks. On the third night I actually woke up and saw some strange bloke in the room who ran off once he realised that I was awake.

Had we all been gassed/drugged or something else? No, we were just a bunch of people who having been out doing stuff in the sun all day were knackered and could quite obviously sleep through anything, even in a strange place. Couldn't comment on whether the others had had a few drinks but I remember that I hadn't as I was watching my spending until I got a job. So tiredness in itself is enough not to wake up when someone is rifling through your stuff. I can only think that by the third night I was a bit on edge and not asleep properly, hence why I woke up.

A couple we know live in France down at Narbonne, they have a MH and travel around France & Spain like we do, one night on a French Aire he was disturbed by an intruder who he chased out, Tommy being Tommy picked up his baseball bat, the intruder was a fellow Mh'er who then tried to drive away he did manage to BUT with several bang's on the MH and a smashed windscreen, Thief 0 Tommy 1 .Pete

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Of course he wasn't . . . . . . . He was here on earth walking through the walls of motorhomes, sprinkeling Blue space dust over its occupants and stealing their prized and insured possesions.
Anyway, he was my great grandfather so he would be at least two hundred and eleventy -six and at that age it gets harder to be in 2 places at the same time . . . . Come on get real!
.........so you say........ :LOL:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The only thing plausible in the OP was the comment about it raining. I was robbed in Spain years ago while sleeping in a little tent with my valuables at the bottom of the tent by my feet.

It was a wet and windy night with the tent flapping away and making a lot of noise. I distinctly remember waking in the night when something touched my feet but I promptly went back to sleep.

In the morning I discovered they had used scissors to cut a hole in the tent and had fished out my wallet by reaching in. Interesting that they knew where to look, I guess MH thieves also know where look too.

Almost certainly I think the attack was timed to coincide with the bad weather because it covered any noise they made and they were unlikely to be disturbed by nocturnal strollers given the conditions. They also stole stuff out of a German car but I can't remember how they got into that.

But beware the next time you have bad weather, nasties come out from under their stones.

And yes we did feel sick the next morning, as a parrot. :)

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

So do I.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back