cheesed off.Did you know that George Michael had passed away!!! (1 Viewer)

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Funny how people don't moan when it's about Aleppo every night all death is a shame I suppose!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Your radio and tv has a off button, push it if you don't like what's on there.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I'm afraid I have to agree with @colyboy who is after all making 'negative comments' about the media, not about George Michael.
And there's something of a difference in scale when compared with Aleppo, over 80 people killed on one day mid-December. (And that's 'killed' rather than died naturally.)
Yes, death is a shame. Yes, his is an untimely death. Yes, he was well-known. Yes, he seems to have been a nice person as well as a 'celeb'.
However: world news top headline on every channel for at least a quarter of each programme?
And yes, the TV/ radio have 'off' buttons - but what if you're wanting to know about other world news?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think to add to this thread would just encourage it. George Michael was a national superstar and world icon who has generated millions for this country sold 100 million records and had numerous number one hits across the globe with a huge fan base across the entire planet. What is the problem you have with this generous talented individual who died long before his time... :xdoh:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
I would agree with the OP on the point that the coverage of George's death, or any celeb these days, is well over the top. Nothing against George personally, sure he was a very nice person, but the news of 100 Russians killed in a plane crash was well overshadowed by one person's death.

If George had died one day earlier I'd suggest the media might have cancelled the Queens Speech to cover it.

Of course for the media it's manner from Heaven, cheap and easy reporting, play loads of old songs and get other celebs and fans to say what a great person the deceased was.

But better get used to it folks, as many of the greats are approaching an age where the man with the scythe could be a visitor. A big problem for the media would be if any two of the greats died on the same day. Imagine if Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger died on the same day, no other news would get a look in. If I was Putin and wanted to invade somewhere, that's the day to do it !

As I've said before, we should have an obituary channel, the news reports a death and the obituary channel goes into to all the detail.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
What is the problem you have with this generous talented individual who died long before his time...
Nobody on this thread so far has ANY 'problem' with George Michael. As I said before:
'negative comments' about the media, not about George Michael

I think to add to this thread would just encourage it.
So did you then add to it just to prove your point? - it worked (y);) (& made me smile, which is some achievement right now :) )

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I think we had a similar thread earlier this year on the amount of airtime given to a deceased celebrity, probably Terry Wogan. A bigger loss to me was Rick Parfitt but only because I was a great Quo fan from the 60's and he hasn't had the same coverage as George Michael. He, like pop music in general, passed me by from the mid 70's when I/we were in business and bring up a young family. They both led the sort of life that was always going to bring them an untimely end and in Michael's case for more unsavoury reasons in the eyes of some.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Must be a sign of being famous when the press have your obituary ready just in case.....sadly. I suspect most think it is overdone when its someone they don't like or like me when its a royal and I'm not interested but if its what people want it will continue.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think we had a similar thread earlier this year on the amount of airtime given to a deceased celebrity, probably Terry Wogan. A bigger loss to me was Rick Parfitt but only because I was a great Quo fan from the 60's and he hasn't had the same coverage as George Michael. He, like pop music in general, passed me by from the mid 70's when I/we were in business and bring up a young family. They both led the sort of life that was always going to bring them an untimely end and in Michael's case for more unsavoury reasons in the eyes of some.
Wasn't it a suspected heart failure in his sleep. How unsavory can it get....

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Like Many "Celeb`s" these days he was probably a victim of his Life Choices, which is far different from life style. Money and Fame are difficult bedfellows. As many in and of his chosen profession before him have discovered.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
He was a warm generous man.

If he chose drugs which is not proven or alcohol both are an illness almost that comes with the pressures of the job.

He was gay but there is no law against that and in today's tolerant society that was his and no one else's business.

As a performer he was hugely talented and as above a warm down to earth and realistic human being.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Very generous man by all accounts and, agreed, being gay was, and is, not illegal, not so his arrest in the USA where If I remember right he he was caught in a compromising situation which was the unsavoury aspect I was referring to. None of that detracts from the fact he was a wonderful entertainer idolised by many but like many he had his demons.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Not sure why I copy this here other than it may be of some interest to some ... one or two had sneaked past me :(

List of celebrity deaths so far this year..
January 10 David Bowie, 69, Rock icon
January 14 Alan Rickman, 69, Actor
January 18 Glenn Frey, 67, Eagles rocker
January 23 Jimmy Bain, 68, Rainbow rock star
January 30 Frank Finlay, 89, Acting great
January 31 Terry Wogan, 77, TV & radio legend
February 3 Maurice White, 74, Earth Wind & Fire star
February 19 Harper Lee, 89, To Kill A Mockingbird author
February 28 Frank Kelly, 77, Father Ted star
February 28 George Kennedy, 91, Movie great
March 1 Tony Warren, 79, Coronation St creator
March 8 George Martin, 90, Beatles producer