CheckMates... the Scottish Rag Dolls... A sad story (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Or try selling on not on the high street. http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/join/why

I can't buy good quality materials for what they are asking for completed and ready to use quilts! Last one I costed out was just under £300 for the fabrics and batting, plus around 2 miles (yes 2 miles) of thread and around 300 hours of work. :)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
One day we hope visit Poolewe and perhaps see her husband ..
Been searching and have come up with some information about a rather interesting lady.

Mary Elizabeth Buchanan and James Kennedy Buchanan ran Cadadh Limited ("other manufacturing") at Bridge Cottage until August 2007.
Broken Link Removed

I think this is her obituary:
BUCHANAN Mary Mary (15/09/54), much loved wife of Jim, passed away peacefully, on May 8, 2012, after a courageous battle with cancer. Funeral will take place at St Maelrubha's Church, Poolewe, at 11 am, on Monday, May 14.​
Dodgy Link Removed

and I believe this also relates to her:
https://heavywhalley.wordpress.com/...t-for-a-funeral-at-poolewe-mary-buchanan-rip/

(To my eternal embarrassment I had personal dealings with Torridon & Kinlochewe MRT at the other end of Loch Maree the day before we moved on to Poolewe CCC.)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
many thanks.. @CWH very interesting

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Two more..

IMG_0303.JPG

AndyA

Free Member
Feb 27, 2017
Grantham
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Have been missing my Auntie Mary a lot lately and have come across this post. It really means a lot to me that her love of craft is still admired today.

Her mother's name was Barbara Palmer and her dad John Palmer.

She made so many amazing things over the years including the tie I wore to my wedding.

Thank you all.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Have been missing my Auntie Mary a lot lately and have come across this post. It really means a lot to me that her love of craft is still admired today.

She made so many amazing things over the years including the tie I wore to my wedding.

Thank you all.
Wow .. be great if @scotjimland saw this...

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Thank you all.

Hi , thank you for posting, glad you found my post and that it brought back some good memories.

The two dolls your aunt made will be passed down to our children, and hopefully our grandchildren..as will the story, so never forgotten ..

Jim

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi , thank you for posting, glad you found my post and that it brought back some good memories.

The two dolls your aunt made will be passed down to our children, and hopefully our grandchildren..as will the story, so never forgotten ..

Jim
Jim how lovely to see you back !! You have been missed!!! Hope you are well .
I've read the thread through and it was a lovely end to see Mary's relative Andy then you both make a post!! Made my day!!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Jim

Good to see you back.(y):wb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Update..

this week we decided to 'try our hand' at making our own rag dolls ..

this is our first effort.. and quite pleased.. a few mistakes .. but not bad.. stands about 20 in high

all made from scraps of material and wool from the sewing box..

it was a joint effort.. excuse the pun..

she has no name .. suggestions please.
View attachment 87069 View attachment 87070
That is excellent as good as I have seen Jim, anyhow welcome back and congratulations...

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Wow! How powerful this forum is. Not only has it found Andy, the nephew of a lady who died 5 years ago, but it has also brought @scotjimland back to us. Hope you stay this time, Jim, we've missed you.

Checkmates Cadadh

Free Member
Aug 11, 2018
Funster No
I have two of the Checkmates dolls made by Mary Buchanan, which were purchased by my Mom for her twin granddaughters to play with. The twin girls have now outgrown the dolls. Are you interested in them? They are in mint condition and are in the US. I found this website via Google.

Attachments

• IMG_4095.JPG
    IMG_4095.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4096.JPG
    IMG_4096.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4103.JPG
    IMG_4103.JPG
    329.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4105.JPG
    IMG_4105.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have two of the Checkmates dolls made by Mary Buchanan, which were purchased by my Mom for her twin granddaughters to play with. The twin girls have now outgrown the dolls. Are you interested in them? They are in mint condition and are in the US. I found this website via Google.
Hi

thanks for posting.. interested yes, PM sent

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back