Check your wheels

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by SteveB123, Aug 20, 2016.

1. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

I have a 2 year old Autotrail on a Ducato and last week went for 2 new front tyres, the fitter had to knock the wheels of with a sledge hammer. I would have had no chance of changing the wheel at the roadside. The fitter greased the hub before refitting as this is a common problem. The wheels were obviously not removed when serviced a few weeks ago by a reputable garage. Something I will make sure they check in the future.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Do they have to take them off for a service I don't think ours were as we had those ties on the hubcaps.

3. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

I always use some copperslip around the wheel flange to stop corrosion taking place between alloy wheels a steel flange,
    you don't have to remove wheels to check brake pads and wheels bearings so not part of a normal service unless asked for,

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. FJmike

FJmike Funster

A good mechanic will always remove the wheels on an interim service, the trouble is some garages are trying to push the work through ASAP that sometimes it doesn't happen

• Like Like x 4
  5. Zains Pops

Zains Pops Funster

My twin rear wheel Transit wheels needed to be persuaded off using a load of penetrating oil over about a week and the heavy duty attention of a full sledge hammer by my friendly local tyre supplier the first time I tried to remove them.
    I now treat them with copper grease each year. But it all shows how difficult roadside tyre action really is and explains the importance of having good roadside recovery support.

• Like Like x 2
  6. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I assume you have alloy wheels? If so this is a common problem. If it happens on the road and you need to change a wheel you can sometimes dislodge them by slackening the wheel studs then lowering the vehicle carefully onto the ground using the jack. This doesn't always work though.:)

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. EX51SSS

EX51SSS Funster

To be fair I don't ever think that I've known wheels to be removed at a service except when requested. However, I totally understand what you are saying and think it's an excellent idea to have them removed, copperslip applied and re fitted. Service and MOT in September and a little extra to add to the small list. Thanks for the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Surely at two years old they should have removed the wheels to check break pads?
    Our brakes were checked and adjusted at 1 year old

9. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

You must be getting some decent miles done to need new tyres after two years? Or was there a problem with them?

10. SteveB123

SteveB123 Funster

20k miles, a few miles left on the old ones but I am going to Spain soon so changed them now.

11. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Nice to hear a van being used :) So often they're changed because of age not wear.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

Doubt an alloy has to come off for that though especially when you consider it is part of an mot

13. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

you can check the majority of brake pads/ discs with a mirror and light without removing the wheels, with it jacked up you can easily check wheel bearings/ CV joints and gaiters so it's totally unesassary to remove the wheels,
    when you drop it down a quick check of the wheel bolts/ nuts torque is all that's required,
    in the old days with cross ply tyres it was recommended to swap wheels around to even out the wear, but not so important IF your steering geometry is correct with radial tyres,
    if you want to pay an additional hours labour for no real benefit then so be it,
    there are exception of course, some hand brakes shoes are inside the rear brake discs but usually can still be adjusted through the wheel, if you have drums brakes also usually can be adjusted ether through the backplate or wheel, also many drum brakes have inspection holes in the back plate to check for wear,
    as I stated with mine I did remove all the wheels to copperslip the hub flange to stop corrosion accurring between the dissimilar metals, I have spent many hours trying to remove customers wheels that have been welded on with corrosion without damaging the inside rim,
    for a small tube of copperslip it a no brainer!

• Like Like x 1
  14. bigalw35

bigalw35 Funster

Not sure about ours, Mercedes Hymer B680 as I've not yet had the wheels off, but on my Ford Scorpio and Toyota Alphard I've installed on both of them with 5mm wheel spacers, that way it keeps the hub centre just off the wheels, without putting too much stress on the bearings. Also I will be taking the rear wheels off shortly to install 45 degree tyre valves and then the Bluetooth senders for the tyre pressure sender/readers, oh, btw, I have 4 wheels on the rear axle

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Have you informed your insurers of the modification.
    Wouldn't want you to find out the hard way they won't pay out on a claim because you hadn't told them.
    They may not be interested but at least its in your file.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. MikeD

MikeD Funster

I don't think many service/garages would remove a wheel unless there was a need to replace/repair something behind it.

But I would not be impressed with any mechanic who used a sledge hammer to remove any wheel on one of our vehicles.

Usually a heavy rubber hammer does the job.

17. bigalw35

bigalw35 Funster

It's on file for the Scorpio and Alphard, as yet not had the wheels off on the Hymer

• Like Like x 1
  18. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Or at the very least, a block of wood between wheel and sledge hammer.

• Like Like x 2
  19. The Nomad

The Nomad Funster

Plus one for Copperslip.

Every car/van I've ever had has had the wheel removed by me immediately and copperslip applied to the mating faces.
    I've seen the results of corrosion "welding" many times, and copperslip ensures you don't get the problem.

It's really good stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ranger

Ranger Funster

If they will come off with a rubber hammer they are not really stuck, just a little resistant, have seen some that needed an oxy gun.

• Like Like x 1