Check your wheels (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
I have a 2 year old Autotrail on a Ducato and last week went for 2 new front tyres, the fitter had to knock the wheels of with a sledge hammer. I would have had no chance of changing the wheel at the roadside. The fitter greased the hub before refitting as this is a common problem. The wheels were obviously not removed when serviced a few weeks ago by a reputable garage. Something I will make sure they check in the future.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Do they have to take them off for a service I don't think ours were as we had those ties on the hubcaps.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I always use some copperslip around the wheel flange to stop corrosion taking place between alloy wheels a steel flange,
you don't have to remove wheels to check brake pads and wheels bearings so not part of a normal service unless asked for,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
My twin rear wheel Transit wheels needed to be persuaded off using a load of penetrating oil over about a week and the heavy duty attention of a full sledge hammer by my friendly local tyre supplier the first time I tried to remove them.
I now treat them with copper grease each year. But it all shows how difficult roadside tyre action really is and explains the importance of having good roadside recovery support.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have a 2 year old Autotrail on a Ducato and last week went for 2 new front tyres, the fitter had to knock the wheels of with a sledge hammer. I would have had no chance of changing the wheel at the roadside. The fitter greased the hub before refitting as this is a common problem. The wheels were obviously not removed when serviced a few weeks ago by a reputable garage. Something I will make sure they check in the future.
I assume you have alloy wheels? If so this is a common problem. If it happens on the road and you need to change a wheel you can sometimes dislodge them by slackening the wheel studs then lowering the vehicle carefully onto the ground using the jack. This doesn't always work though.:)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
To be fair I don't ever think that I've known wheels to be removed at a service except when requested. However, I totally understand what you are saying and think it's an excellent idea to have them removed, copperslip applied and re fitted. Service and MOT in September and a little extra to add to the small list. Thanks for the thread.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Surely at two years old they should have removed the wheels to check break pads?
Our brakes were checked and adjusted at 1 year old

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
You must be getting some decent miles done to need new tyres after two years? Or was there a problem with them?

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Surely at two years old they should have removed the wheels to check break pads?
Doubt an alloy has to come off for that though especially when you consider it is part of an mot

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971

you can check the majority of brake pads/ discs with a mirror and light without removing the wheels, with it jacked up you can easily check wheel bearings/ CV joints and gaiters so it's totally unesassary to remove the wheels,
when you drop it down a quick check of the wheel bolts/ nuts torque is all that's required,
in the old days with cross ply tyres it was recommended to swap wheels around to even out the wear, but not so important IF your steering geometry is correct with radial tyres,
if you want to pay an additional hours labour for no real benefit then so be it,
there are exception of course, some hand brakes shoes are inside the rear brake discs but usually can still be adjusted through the wheel, if you have drums brakes also usually can be adjusted ether through the backplate or wheel, also many drum brakes have inspection holes in the back plate to check for wear,
as I stated with mine I did remove all the wheels to copperslip the hub flange to stop corrosion accurring between the dissimilar metals, I have spent many hours trying to remove customers wheels that have been welded on with corrosion without damaging the inside rim,
for a small tube of copperslip it a no brainer!

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Not sure about ours, Mercedes Hymer B680 as I've not yet had the wheels off, but on my Ford Scorpio and Toyota Alphard I've installed on both of them with 5mm wheel spacers, that way it keeps the hub centre just off the wheels, without putting too much stress on the bearings. Also I will be taking the rear wheels off shortly to install 45 degree tyre valves and then the Bluetooth senders for the tyre pressure sender/readers, oh, btw, I have 4 wheels on the rear axle

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've installed on both of them with 5mm wheel spacers,
Have you informed your insurers of the modification.
Wouldn't want you to find out the hard way they won't pay out on a claim because you hadn't told them.
They may not be interested but at least its in your file.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I don't think many service/garages would remove a wheel unless there was a need to replace/repair something behind it.

But I would not be impressed with any mechanic who used a sledge hammer to remove any wheel on one of our vehicles.

Usually a heavy rubber hammer does the job.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think many service/garages would remove a wheel unless there was a need to replace/repair something behind it.

But I would not be impressed with any mechanic who used a sledge hammer to remove any wheel on one of our vehicles.

Or at the very least, a block of wood between wheel and sledge hammer.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Plus one for Copperslip.

Every car/van I've ever had has had the wheel removed by me immediately and copperslip applied to the mating faces.
I've seen the results of corrosion "welding" many times, and copperslip ensures you don't get the problem.

It's really good stuff.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years

If they will come off with a rubber hammer they are not really stuck, just a little resistant, have seen some that needed an oxy gun.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I would be worried if the cable ties were still in place,that the wheel nuts had not been checked,however,they may have been and the mechanic re tied them.
Check mine every outing,and if on a long jaunt,weekly,just a thought.
Tea Bag

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
Wheels are off twice a year - summer tyres > winter tyres > etc. I guess that's not so common on here but in this neck of the woods no winter tyres = no insurance.

peter

Free Member
Nov 23, 2007
Near Boston Linc's
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia 640
Exp
Since 2000
Not sure about ours, Mercedes Hymer B680 as I've not yet had the wheels off, but on my Ford Scorpio and Toyota Alphard I've installed on both of them with 5mm wheel spacers, that way it keeps the hub centre just off the wheels, without putting too much stress on the bearings. Also I will be taking the rear wheels off shortly to install 45 degree tyre valves and then the Bluetooth senders for the tyre pressure sender/readers, oh, btw, I have 4 wheels on the rear axle
That's not a good idea. (fitting wheel spacers) That hub centre is what is supposed to take the weight of the vehicle, not the studs and wheel nuts'

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Am just trying to take the wheels off , they are alloy and they don't move. Having read this is it brute force or take to the garage to get them to loosen them first ? I have a jack and axel stand under it at the moment, plus slipped wheel back on while on here.

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I assume you have alloy wheels? If so this is a common problem. If it happens on the road and you need to change a wheel you can sometimes dislodge them by slackening the wheel studs then lowering the vehicle carefully onto the ground using the jack. This doesn't always work though.:)
As above good tip, you can also put a piece of 2x2 on the inside edge of the tyre when you let the jack down, which help's force the bottom of the wheel outwards.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I normally use a large hammer and a piece of 2x2 up against the tyre/wheel so I'm not hitting the wheel directly.
Also make sure you rotate the wheel often in-between strikes so as not to stress the wheel.

Oct 13, 2016
Grays - Essex - UK
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Hymer B680
Exp
Been moho’ing for a time now
Am just trying to take the wheels off , they are alloy and they don't move. Having read this is it brute force or take to the garage to get them to loosen them first ? I have a jack and axel stand under it at the moment, plus slipped wheel back on while on here.

Sorry , but I don't quite understand what you're saying Your last sentence states "that slipped the wheel back on while on here", so surely that means you've got the wheel off

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Sorry I wrote that badly. I should of said I have put the wheel studs back in/on so it was safe and secure. Cheers

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
A good suggestion from DBK.

If still no success, using this method, ensure nuts in place but slightly loose. Drive the van along at circa 10 or 15 mph max and hit the brakes hard. Might need one or two goes, but sometimes does the trick.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back