Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
walk out yesterday,and the nearside rear tyre was almost flat on the motorhome?so out with the airline ,and on inflating it noticed a hiss from the valve?on closer inspection i noticed that the valve rubber was perished where it comes through the wheel,so took the wheel off and had the valve replaced at the local tyre place FOC so have checked all the rest and decided to get them all replaced,easy to overlook the valves when checking your tyres.
so to check them remove any wheel trim's you might have and get hold of the valve and pull it to one side and then the other,while looking for any cracking in the rubber,if it show's any cracking at all replace the valve,not a big job as the fitter will only have to break the bead on the valve side and replace the valve so no rebalancing needed:thumb:
it is importent that you check your valve's:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
When fitting new tyres I've always insisted on new valves being fitted. Costs an extra couple of bob but well worth it... most tyre dealers will recommend this.

Also whenever a tyre is removed from the rim (puncture repair etc) it is again recommended that a new valve be fitted. This is due to the fact that the base of the valve may be damaged during the removal of the tyre from the rim.

You can also fit steel valves which are are bolted into the wheel and are usually found on high performance wheel / tyre assemblies.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Mine has steel valves. Any vehicle like ours that has up to 80 psi pressures should be steel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
generally steel valves are recommended for goods vehicles, which motorhomes are of course.

But.....while the steel valve stem wont perish the valve to rim rubber sealing washers can, so they still need checking occasionally.

i would never use rubber valves in anything other than a car and even high performance cars would be safer with steel.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi pappa .try looking at ebay..170684253212... i have bought cheaper from tyre suppliers .
but yes the sunlight effects them . it is wise to check them often. certainly they dont like the sun in morocco . two years and they soon pop.
its possible withcare to use your car /vehicle jack to pop the beads after taking out he valve insert. . buy a proper valve puller tool its quite easy to use. mind youwill need a good compressor to pump back up the tyre.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi pappa .try looking at ebay..170684253212... i have bought cheaper from tyre suppliers .
but yes the sunlight effects them . it is wise to check them often. certainly they dont like the sun in morocco . two years and they soon pop.
its possible withcare to use your car /vehicle jack to pop the beads after taking out he valve insert. . buy a proper valve puller tool its quite easy to use. mind youwill need a good compressor to pump back up the tyre.
for the likes of you and me Alan, no problem fitting them yourself, but anyone having them fitted when tyre changing will be charged maybe £2.50 or more per valve. :Angry:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

I suffered a broken steel valve in France.. was checking the pressures and one of the valve covers was seized.. before I could stop him my son used a pair of waterpump pliers on it ... wooooooshhhhh down it went.. :Doh:

Fortunately a carried a spare valve.. broke the bead using the weight of the RV and a plank of wood.. replaced the valve and pumped up using my air line plugged into the RVs brakes air tank.. soon on the road again.. without using the spare wheel .. :thumb:

Always be prepared for the worst .. Also carried puncture repair string and tools (is that the right name ? looks like licorice boot laces ) ... bought from a tyre dealer.. used that once in Spain.. nail in tyre .. :Angry:

Always pays to practice at home.. it's a lot easier than at the side of the road when it's raining..

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
As an aside on valve stems, in the 60/70's Rover produced the SD1, the 3.5 ltr variant was used by the Police as a very potent motorway vehicle but was plagued with 'Blow outs' at high speed, it turned out that because of centrifugal force the valve stems were rubbing against the Stainless steel wheel covers and cutting throught he stems :Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i know the stuff you mean Jim, push through the puncture hole from the outside with a special tool.

not BS approved (BSAUI59F) and possible illegal to use in this country though.

a repair patch/plug must have a mushroom head and be applied from the inside.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi jim. yes tyre strings or chewing gum repair sticks . very good , carry loads have used loads when desert crossing . the little thorns growing just under the surface of the sand are a real nuisance. . not so bad with the mitzy but the vw used normal van tyres they soon picked em up.
i used to use the jack or as you say a good plank can be used to pressure the bead away.i use the trailer leg when travelling makes a good bead breaker.
cant beat an on bord compressor. luckily i have one for the air brakes on the trailer.
mind the t,max on ebay or sold in landrover magazines are good. man enough for a full size truck tyre.
i usually carry valves , puncture repir kit and tubes also some ocho green slime . had one tyre with eleven punctures in it . a bottle of ocho cured it . get mine from our local farm sundies stores but its on ebay. very handy but makes glueing patches in the tyre almost impossible afterwards. the moroccans use hot vulcanizers like we used to here . wish i had one now . havent seen them here for about 30yrs. but excellant bit of kit.
as to the rovers we used to have a screw on valve extention with a collar that almost covered the stem on the valves . used it instead of the valve caps on suspect covers

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
pappa .you are right not for road use in uk. shame .fitted 4 in maroc got back here and forgot went back twice never had a problem . very hard to see them if you get the black ones . how does an mot tester know if its got a mushroom inside anyway. but at your own risk.
in maroc they charge 60p to fit them . if you didnt know you wouldnt care . easy to fit .blow up tyre insert a rasp cleaning tool ,remove tool very quickly insert the string in the other tool . leave a bit sticking out . twist and pull . job done . dont even take the wheel off the vehicle , if you have a compressor with you. have used 4 in the same hole i,m told 6 is about the max. great on big earth movers . use them down here on the big china clay trucks etc.
see them on ebay or again look in an agriculturers store . brill bit of kit . sell them in super markets abroad. very often between the sweets and the 12 bore cartridges . honest.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
I remember many years ago when I was in the trade we used to push the rubber stick into the reamered hole double with a steel podger (in a U shape with the bottom of the U going inside the tyre) when the podger was pulled out the bottom of the U was left inside the tyre and expanded in essence forming the desired mushroom head, I never ever remember having a failure. I do remember this method being replaced with the more expensive mushroom head insert but still cheaper than fitting an innertube or writing off the tyre.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
years ago we used the mushrooms, in the 70,s they got stopped if i remember right . we just stuck patches on the inside of the tyre . i still do sometimes . i also have a newer type mushroom style patch . i,m told these are the legal ones . but taking tyres on and off where we go some times would be so time consuming.and tiring.
if i had a puncture that takes a couple of strings when i get home i usually do remove the tyre and repair inside .
but i must admit i do carry a repair to renew the valves on tubes . havent used one for years but better not take it out might need it one day. and thick gaiters for that big repair . cant beat an african repair of roof bolts used to fix a patch on the side walls . makes your heart thump more but they do get away with it. not for me. but in an emergency good to know it can work. cant waste good tread. haha.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
i know the stuff you mean Jim, push through the puncture hole from the outside with a special tool.

not BS approved (BSAUI59F) and possible illegal to use in this country though.

a repair patch/plug must have a mushroom head and be applied from the inside.

yes, that's the stuff.. and as you say 'not legal'.. but when it gets you out of the s$it... can't beat it.. and I still carry it .. just as a last resort.. and as Alan says, when travelling in remote areas could be a life saver..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back