Check your insurance for third party cover on non owned vehicles

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Johns_Cross_Motorhomes, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

This is not me, just a post I read elswehere for your information

======================================

Just wanted to warn anyone that drives a friend or family members car on their own comprehensive insurance policy to check their policies on renewal.

to clarify.. you have comprehensive cover on your own vehicle ... borrow a friends insured car but drive it under your own insure with just third party risks...

I did this the other day (as I have previously) as my friend wanted a drink ... and was stopped by the police for a faulty brake light. (which we didn't know about). After confirming the car was my friend's they checked his insurance and asked if I was driving the car on my own insurance policy which I stated I was. They then took details of my vehicle and address to check this to be told by control that I did not have insurance to drive other cars. I was gobsmacked as I have always had this cover ( checked old policies to make sure) . The police officer then informed us that a lot of insurance companies are removing the third party cover for other vehicles automatically on renewal. So if you don't read the terms and conditions you would not realise. (sure I'm not the only one not to check on renewal papers) . Because they had been told I was not insured my friend was then breathalysed as well to see if he was able to drive the car. Luckily he was well under the limit or he was told his car could of been towed! Because of this change on the insurance policy I now have 6 points on my licence and a hefty fine to pay... (and yes I know I should of checked too .. but you don't expect the cover to change on a renewal with the same company)

So if you drive cars other then your own, ask for the third party cover .. or if it's a regular thing then get put as a named driver on their policy if that's possible

=====================================

Peter

• Like Like x 10
  2. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

This is true, when I renewed my car insurance last month got the quotes, chose one then read the terms and noticed that I was not covered to drive any one else's car.

As I sometimes drive the daughters car on my insurance rang the broker and said I needed this cover, he checked around and for a extra £1.50p got the cover I needed.

So yes definitely worth checking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

It happened to me several years ago.

I took it to court and defended myself.

I pleaded guilty ( as it is an absolute offence but asked if I may produce a witness to corroborate that I was unaware of the change.

I called my insurance broker and he, under oath, said that they ( the brokerage ) nor the insurance company had actually informed me of the change, and under the ( then new ) laws concerning small print, the JPs took the view that although an offence had been committed it was not actually done deliberately.
    I still had to take the 6 points but no fine or costs

Bottom line Peter, get a solicitor on it ( as I am sure you will any way ) and mention that the change was not brought to your attention

4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

John, think you missed the top bit of JC post in red

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Cheers Carol !

See... I am a bloke... yes it was in red.. yes it was in big writing

BUT IT WAS NOT FLASHING AND MAKING A LOUD NOISE !!!

As a man how was I expected to see the first line !! ?? :Rofl1: :Wink::Wink:

• Like Like x 4
  6. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

It is interesting how insurers do these things an get away with it. It isn't the first time I have heard of policy features being dropped without notice - common one nowadays is the 'auto renew/two year policy where they give you a good price one year and treble it the next with huge penalties if you try to go elsewhere.

7. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

that is the biggest con they use and get away with
    that bloody small print every time :cry::cry:

8. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

i almost changed my policy to a cheaper one but found that it didnt offer cover for driving others cars
    also worth noting that the car you borrow to drive must also be insured another change they slipped in without broadcasting it
    ive also noticed that policies are comphrehensive cover not fully comprehensive cover

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  9. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

So what is the difference between fully comp and comp
    I have comp and I was fully comp with last company

10. stcyr

stcyr Funster

When I go in to see M.Poupinet, our local insurance man, whether it's to do with the house insurances or the vehicle insurances, new cover or revisions, everything is read out aloud, however long it may take. Never any nasty surprises. And most visits are rounded off with a quick visit to 'Chez Nicole' for a swift Calva or two...

:Cool:

11. chesterfield hooligan

chesterfield hooligan Funster

:Smile: fully comp is compersive insurance they are the same, the other is third party, and third party fire and theft what it says on the box is what you get, cought with no insurance is a "i n 10" on your licance and 10 years loading they hammer you on insurance as you are dodging paying them :Rofl1:

12. billkce

billkce Funster

Great advice John. 2 additional points.

1. When I renewed our van insurance with Safeguard, they confirmed that our van insurance only insures you to drive THAT SPECIFIC van. So, you cannot drive other vans or cars on THAT insurance.:Eeek:

2. Re your point above: When I was sitting as a magistrate on traffic offences, often the owner of the car was prosecuted & received a conviction & points for ALLOWING someone without insurance to drive their vehicle!!!:cry:

13. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

Some policies are so confusing sometimes, and it has even confused the Police!

I remember when the other half was stopped for a brake light out on the merc, she was given a producer. As she was at work, i popped back to the office and grabbed the vehicle insurance files and went down to the station to show them the policy docs.

Now we had a trade insurance for hire, and private ones to cover the private cars - I mistakenly handed her the hire one. As I was chatting to her and she was enteriung the info into her computer, I noticed, and apologised that I had given her the wrong one, and that that policy covered our hire vehicles and not the private cars.

She then stated that according to the law, the hire policy covered us as far as they were concerned as it stated 'Any vehicle owned by the insured, or any vehicle under their custody or control''

She took both policy details and was laughing saying that she usually had trouble getting one policy out of people, not them coming in with two 'valid' policies!

But it goes to show how confusing the policies are/can be. The insurers for the hire stated that no private vehicles were covered.....now if it enough to confuse the Law, how can an average joe understand and adhere to them?

14. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I have just checked my van insurance (Comfort) and my car insurance (Zurich) and both cover driving another persons vehicle with their consent.

Both policies have been renewed in the last month or so.

Obviously worth checking though.

15. SIFTA SAM

SIFTA SAM Read Only Funster

Definitely needs (re)checking?
    I checked my M/H fully comp. insurance at 12oclock today, (Comfort), and was told I could only drive another persons vehicle in an emergency (?)

16. scousebird

scousebird Funster

When we changed from the caravan to the MH the car went as well, we had son (23) & daughter (25) both at home at the time with cars so OH was able to borrow theirs as and when. Instead of driving them 3rd party they added him to their policies - it reduced the cost!!

They were told that it was because they now had an older and, hopefully, sensible driver on the policy.