Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
The vehicle I'm looking at buying has no TV, or as far as I can see, aerial. What's the cheapest option to get up and running with TV and is it better to go the 12v route, or rely on being on a site when your favourite programme is on?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
depends on your power supply to hand

It depends on the size TV you want and the power to hand.

I have a mains 230v 26" which I watch on site or in a field.... how? I have a 1500watt Sterling pure wave inverter on my RV.. I just plug in to the mains and watch tv... the power is taken from the domestic batteries and converted to 230v... I can run my generator if needs be as well if I want to take mains power that way.

Some will use a 12v TV .. think about if you are going free view ....

I have a satellite system and watch free to air satellite. Plus I also have a winnguard arial and have free to air TV as well...

Research what you want as there are many many ways to arrive at the end result. 12v TV's tend to be smaller in size. Depends how far away you are going to be sitting.. while I am at a 15" screen on My Apple MacProbook... fine close up and to watch DVD's a few feet away.. not good for distance viewing.. I would then want as big as I could get within the space and the power type in use.

Bob

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Lots of low cost mains TV out there... ie Asda (cannock) do a 16" LED one for £85.
Very slim, lightweight and LOW power consumption.
Use an inverter ie 150w and your sorted, plus the inverter wll come in for other uses..
The Invertor will not be 100% efficient so you will loose power there BUT it's very small and not worth worrying about..

ps... Back home in Cannock now from Spain.. Need any help let me now..
BUT be quick.. Off for Easter soon..:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Asda/tesco cheap tv via a small say 300watt inverter if mains powered, but look for the odd ones that are 12v and mains, some of the so called 240 use a transformer to drop the power to 12v
aerials vary wildly some have house types fitted, best all rounder in my opinion, not cheap but guaranteed to work, Status 530 two models available one has a longer pole, these fit through the roof, short pole for top cupboard fitting, long pole for wardrobe fitting
All in TV, 300watt Inverter ,and a Status can be done for about £250
Geo

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have a look around in the shops suggested..

Look for one with a small separate power supply.. If you look at the PSU you will see it has an input and an output voltage shown
Almost all are 12v nominal output.

if you buy one of those you can simply discard the PSU and plug the TV straight on to a 12v supply ( make sure you connect it the right way round !! )

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
As everyone else says, look for a cheap tv with freeveiw installed , look for one that uses a transformer, you then have the choice of 240v off the EHU, inverter 12v to 240v or better still buy a 12v lead off Maplins/Ebay and you have a 12v TV.
Aerials, cheapest is a stand alone one clamped to the van , or a roof mounted status 530 aerial, After that you can spend as much as you want,
We have a status 530, Camos square dish, Sky box. Free to air box,& 2 TVs:Eeek:If you want to go the sat route then one of the £50 camping kits is a good starter option.(look at Maplins):thumb:
Also look up this topic on the search option , volumes about this subject.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back