Cheapest -gas or electric

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mojo, Nov 19, 2013.

1. mojo

mojo Funster

Here in Spain and the campsite electric is metered at approx 40p per KW.I am trying to understand the cheapest option but am not sure of the gas calculations given in the literature for the fridge,etc. Can someone confirm how the gas burn is presented in the manufacture documents.I can then apply the below calculations to all the gas/elec devices to see what is best.At the moment it seems to be gas all the way!

Example-
    Fridge electric 125w(.5amp) 125w X 8hrs = 1 kw Yes ? 1 day = 3 kw @40 pence
    I think 30 days X £1.20 = £36.00

Fridge gas QN 0.252 ?
    M 18.3 G/H ?

I think the 18.3 is a hourly burn rate ,therefore 1000 G (1 litre ?) divided by 18.3 = 55hrs approx ?
    A 13 litre bottle will give 715 hrs ( 30 days) Here in Spain this bottle costs approx £15.00

A saving over electric of £21.00 ?

My next calculation ,when I understand the gas burn rate will be-

Our heater is max @ 2,000w (2KW per hr)
    A similar gas setting of 2,000w would be approx 160 G/H (It can achieve 3,500w @ 280 G/H )

2. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

I needed to do a similar calculation as we intend to use our van next week and there are three nights before then when frost is forecast, I must apply some heat during those nights.

The Internet tells me that a kg of propane provides 13.87 kWh.
    Our electric costs 12.16p/kWh.
    AutoGas locally cost 70.9p/l There are 2l per kg of propane so propane costs £1.41/kg or (1.41/13.87) 10.17p/kWh.
    However while assuming electric was 100% efficient I calculate that a gas appliance must have an efficiency of 83.6% to break even.

My conclusion was that there wasn't anything in it.
    Being in Spain you will have to apply your local prices.

Gordon

3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

4. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

I think I would have to kill myself if I had to go to so much trouble to work out a saving of a few pence
    Me thinks you have far too much time on your hands and not enough income.
    There again I could be wrong :Rofl1::Rofl1:

I am in Spain too hope your not near me I could not cope knowing some one with so much time on their hands was just down the road from me

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  5. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

ahhhhhhhhhhh there is more than one of them. :Eeek::Eeek:
    What is life coming too ?????
    Put the fire on and pay the cost. Your brain needs a rest. :Rofl1::Rofl1:

6. aba

aba

working on your 160G/h 1 litre of gas will give about 3 hours of heat where as for electric the same 3 hours would cost 6Kwh.

7. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

LPG is not 1000g (1KG) per litre, its close to half that. an 11KG cylinder holds near enough 22 litres of LPG. Gas is cheapest.

D.

8. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

I'd be surprised if your fridge cost anything like £36 to run on electric for 30 days, in winter, even in Spain.

It won't be running at it's maximum of 125 watts 24x7. The cooling will switch on and off as required and I reckon it will be less than a quarter of the time it is drawing maximum power.

Guess the same principle would apply to running the fridge on gas. However, if it were me I'd use elec for the fridge whenever possible. :thumb:

Mike

9. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Jim(Scotjimland) worked this out when he was fulltiming and gas wored out a lot cheaper than paying for the leccy :Wink:
    terry

10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Just to throw a spanner in the works. When I was long terming in my RV in winter in Spain I had to run the fridge on gas to keep within the 4 KW of electric per day allowance. One bottle of gas would last around 8 weeks just running the fridge and occasional cooking as I eat out mostly.

11. mojo

mojo Funster

Thanks

Thanks for the advice from most and the abuse from one..As we have nearly six months out here I will buy a Spanish bottle and keep warm that way.For half a year it should be a good saving despite having too much time and not enough income! Its good to belong to the FRIENDLY motorhomefun club

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

To calc. contents of a Propane gas bottle:

Tare weight of bottle is in Imperial units shown on the aluminium neck ring. Divide weight by 2.2 to determine equivalent in SI units (metric).

Subtract tare from total weight of gas and bottle to obtain gas weight.

Multiply weight of gas by 13.9 to calculate heat value in kWh.

Hope this is useful.
    Ed

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

My two Alugas bottles hold 22kg nominally. At say 80p a litre this costs £35.20

This provides 305 KWh of energy which at the Spanish camp site price of 40p a KWh would be £122. Saving is therefore £86.80 which is a bit more than a few pence.:Smile:

We only have hookup if its free (some aires) or included (ACSI sites off peak). The rates charged, especially in the summer, are exorbitant considering the small consumption in the warmer months.