Cheaper Broadband without changing.... (1 Viewer)

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I'm sure many of you have already done this, however here are my recent experiences..

My phone and broadband is with BT. I don't really want to change as it has been ok and I get BT Openzone and FON for free.

For the last two years, (on the contract anniversary) I have called BT saying I was thinking of leaving and going to change to Sky as I have my TV contract with them, and that Sky were offering me a great deal on Broadband as I was an existing Sky customer.

Last year BT reduced my unlimited broadband monthly payment by £10 per month. This year they reduced it to only £10 per month (to match Sky) instead of £25.60 per month .
Saving £187 a year.... I only had to agree to a 12 month contract again. They also sent me their new router BT Home Hub 3 , free of charge.

I also contacted Sky, saying I was going to leave due to the current economic climate,looming job cuts, blah blah blah, they offered me £10 off per month for a year, or to halve my payments for 6 months, after which I could contact them to "re-asses" the situation. I took the 6 month offer and am saving over £26 per month there.

So two phone calls (to 0800 numbers) have saved me almost £350..:thumb::thumb:

On both occasions after the initial call I got transfered through to UK based "customer retention" teams. The guys at the other end of the line were very polite, efficient and easy to deal with... (and incientally Scottish :Eeek:)

As BT used to say "It's good to talk"......::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
I did this with my mobile phone contract with O2. It was reduced from £35 to £25 a month once I said i was thinking of changing to Orange and was put through to the retention team.

barryd

Free Member
Feb 10, 2009
Yorkshire Dales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since May 08
Nice one. I frequently do the same thing with mobile phone, insurance etc.

The only downside is as prices get tighter and tighter we end up paying somehow. Support with mobiles is terrible compared to just 5 years ago.

I made a business out of installing Business Broadband when it first came out about 10 years ago. You probably wont believe this but when it first came out we charged £100 per month for a 1/2MB connection (with a good commission) and up to £750 for onsite installation (sometimes two a day). Not anymore (sadly). Customers queued up to get it and didn't even flinch at the costs.

Ah well, happy days!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back