Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Hi all,

Following some internal negotiations involving knocking down an internal wall in our house, my budget for a motorhome is somewhat compromised...

I was looking to spend about £15-18k, but now looking more like £8-10k. From a previous thread, I know that something decent can be had for this amount of cash, but what should I look for? I am seeing some older Merc 208D based examples that look nice inside, but might have cosmetic issues, as well quite a few Talbots. We were planning to make this our primary holiday solution, but I think it will be more for weekends away in fact. We would need a 4 berth, but 5 would be handy. We had felt that a coachbuilt with overcab bed would be ideal, but I am not wedded to this.

With cars, my instinct is to go a bit older to higher quality, but does that hold true for MHs? What would that look like? Is the van base more important at this age? This all a new (and exciting) world for me!

All advice gratefully welcomed. Many thanks in advance.

Alex.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
One important aspect to consider is that a proper 4 / 5 berth with adequate seatbelts & equally adequate payload is likely to be over 3.5t GVW & therefore you'll need the appropriate driving licence.

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Look for a "classic Hymer type". There are a few around that price.
Phil
+ 1 for that. There is an active Facebook group for Classic Hymers which has a "hymermarket" section, also Hymer Owners Group on FB might be worth a look.

Good luck anyway!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
One important aspect to consider is that a proper 4 / 5 berth with adequate seatbelts & equally adequate payload is likely to be over 3.5t GVW & therefore you'll need the appropriate driving licence.

Many thanks. I passed my test in 1988, so have classes C, C1, C1E, D, D1, D1E. Would that do?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Coming round to this idea- already found a couple at around the right price.

How do the lavatories work on these? Don't look like a Thetford Cassette...

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
This one on Hymermarket on Facebook looks worth considering. Can only copy the text and not photos so you would need to join the group to investigate further.

Iam thinking of selling my Hymer as you can see money has been no object on this classic camper i am OPEN TO SENSIBLE OFFERS <<<
THIS IS A FANTASTIC CAMPER loads of bills to much to mention
if your intersted pm and i will get in touch thanks for looking
4 new tyres new cambelt clutch brakes 200 solar panel 2 new batteries resprayed new head linning new interior and much much more and a generator
12 months MOT

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Coming round to this idea- already found a couple at around the right price.

How do the lavatories work on these? Don't look like a Thetford Cassette...

I think some of the classic hymers have a toilet holding tank like an RV. Need to empty much less often.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
So some more research, and I reckon a Hymer b534 or b544 might fit the bill. I'm feeling a bit torn, though- I love the layout of the 534, and it would suit us well. Junior (8) and his cousin (8 as well, who will sometimes come with us) can have the pull down, and wife and I can have the double at the back. The rear lounge looks lovely, a really nice place to be! Trouble is, only 2 travel seats. All I've read suggests it's not sensible to use even the front-facing seats at the back, even if you can persuade someone to fit lap belts. Which means we'd have to bring the car, too.

The 544 has the central diner and extra travel seats, but loses the lovely rear lounge.

What do you knowledgeable types think? Better to travel together and put up with the lost lounge, or go for the preferred layout and put up with having the car? I suppose with the car, we would have it to buzz around in (although these Hymers are almost short enough to use in town...

Mostly, we would use it for weekend getaways.

Cheers- what a great forum!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You have a few years yet of holidaying with your son with or without his cousin. It would seem a shame to have to limit your trips in the MH to places where you can take along an extra car. That would mean you and your partner travelling separately which is not much fun.
Travelling seats would seem to be most important even though layout not ideal. Otherwise, dare I suggest it, you might as well tow a caravan so can travel together, have car to use at destination and have a comfortable layout.

Upvote 0

Jeff and terri

Free Member
Jan 3, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Ford transit twin wheel
Exp
3 years
this might be worth buying spending a little to keep in budget ??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Just been to look at an '86 Hymer b534, and came within a smidge of buying, when the vendor told us about the London Low Emission Zone. We're in the outer bits of Bromley, but still within, so it's a no go. It would either need to be stored outside the zone (impractical) or have a dpf fitted at too high a cost.

Curses!!

So, we need something post 2002 essentially, and it will have to be a coachbuilt.

Any new thoughts welcome!!

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Go petrol and you won't have to worry about LEZ.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Apparently these are cheap and comply with LEZ.

download.jpg
images.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
Petrol sounds good. That Swift looks pretty good, actually.

Ideal option is a petrol Hymer- I have found one but it's in Austria...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
apm101

apm101

Free Member
Feb 16, 2017
Bromley, Kent
Funster No
MH
Nothing yet...
Exp
Total newbie
So we are off to look at some motorhomes this weekend. Tomorrow is an American rig, a Ford E350 Tiago. It's actually quite small for a Yank tank, under 7m, with 5 berths. Has a 5.6l V8, so not expecting great economy, but a good sound! On Sunday, it's a 90's Swift Kontiki. I know they have a rep for leaking, but this one looks in good nick. 2.0l petrol, so suits our location. Still on the look out for a petrol Hymer- one did come up in Cornwall, but it doesn't look like we will get down to it. Quite excited, either way!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back