dowtchaboy

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Cork, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
My van (German HEHN) came with halogen lights and a leisure battery that never lasted long, despite being reassured that it was brand new by the dealer in Hamburg.
I've since bought a new leisure battery (Halfords own brand - seems excellent) and got a few LEDs - at LIDL of all places!

The first ones were MR16 (array of bulbs in a spotlight) that fitted into where a Halogen bulb had been (admittedly after quite a bit of fiddling about in one case) - they were €3.99 in LIDL in November (probably £2.99 in funny-money).

They are excellent, cool and don't drain the battery at all, but they are not as warm and cosy as halogens. They are quite OK for reading though and I find having one right by my head when lying in the Luton bed and reading, I am not distracted by the hot smell from a halogen! They will be long gone by now - so just watch out for the next time they appear.

Last week (Jan 11th?) our LIDLs, and probably UK ones too, had 2 strips with LEDs aimed at the under-counter or kitchen furniture market I'd say.
One strip had 4 circular LED arrays but ran off 220V.

The more interesting one had 6 large single LEDs in a row and had a 12VDC wall-plug adaptor. Happy days - dump the adaptor, and either use the quite long piece of wire provided on the DC plug to wire it up, or take the thing apart (It uses 4 crosspoint screws) and hard-wire it. By the way it has a touch-switch. It uses 2W and claims "20W" equivalent light output. Price was €14.99 - UK price maybe £12.99??

My local LIDL only had 1 left so I will go search a few other stores (there always seems to be one LIDL that has the remains of "specials" for weeks afterwards). One for over the cooker, one for over the door, .... I think they look really cool!

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Seems a lot of hard work and expensive solution to me.
As there are multiple types and styles of direct replacement LEDs bulbs available at less than half the price:RollEyes:
Or have i missed something:Doh:

OP
OP
D

dowtchaboy

Free Member
May 29, 2009
Cork, Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Seems a lot of hard work and expensive solution to me.
As there are multiple types and styles of direct replacement LEDs bulbs available at less than half the price:RollEyes:
Or have i missed something:Doh:
True - they can be had for less (apparently) on fleabay as long as you watch the postage and are prepared to wait for shipping from Hong Kong. I haven't seen 'em (particularly the striplight) at anything like that price locally though, and it is nice to be able to pick them up (literally) and if necessary bring them back for a no-quibble refund (from a shop that says "Welcome" to campervans!)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back