cheap ebay satnav as a back up to my android phone (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Hi all, any recommendations for a cheap & cheerful backup satnav for my android phone one. I became very dependent on satnav & always like a backup of everything just in case of loss/failure. :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I posted an ebay link a week or so ago, it was a 5" android 4 phone with GPS, might not have been the best phone but for£70 looked a good platform for GPS.

OP
OP
MR. FUSION
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
actually I liked your phone Idea Brian and will probably go with that:
Link Removed

Where it says GPS I am assuming it will have a standalone GPS but will rely on a network/wifi for accuracy but still can be used in GPS standalone mode with such programmes as android navigator ?:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
actually I liked your phone Idea Brian and will probably go with that:
Link Removed

Where it says GPS I am assuming it will have a standalone GPS but will rely on a network/wifi for accuracy but still can be used in GPS standalone mode with such programmes as android navigator ?:thumb:

GPS = global positioning system. That legally implies it receives satellites. Return it if it does not.

You then use a Satellite Navigation program that has maps resident on the phone/tablet and that program uses the inbuilt GPS receiver.

Since that post I bought an Acer Iconia 7" tablet, it's a pretty decent tablet in it's own right, with GPS. Rare to get GPS at the £60 (ish) which is what you can get them for on ebay. I've loaded NavFree, Copilot Live and Maps With Me.

Maps With Me as posted by another funster is brilliant. Free. Fully downloaded maps that you can "pinch" zoom. Does not seem to do routing but for planning it's excellent.

Nice little tablet despite the naysayers in the original thread.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back