Cheap camper, i mean cheap??? (1 Viewer)

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Hi all, Now i have a LWB pick up which i am/was going to build a demountable, now the thing is, i am a pain with swapping and changing my mind with my projects so now i am thinking on looking at a old camper, coach built type, luton body, not a van as i would like to have a bit more room if i am to do this, i can get around £1000 together for a camper project, yes it will be a project which i am fine about, i can do all the work needed to it myself so no silly labour fee`s to pay. I like the idea of me having the UMM pick up ( multi purpose vehicle aswell, ) with a demountable but then i have always wanted a camper van, i have in the past looked at the Bedford CF ones aswell as the transit type, iu know these as goo work horses with good engines if they are the diesel type, but what others could i look at that have the same reliability as the CF and Transit, i am not up much on other makes and now as they are getting old i would like to get a van that parts are fairly easy to come by. The UMM is getting hard to get bits for and therefore expensive.

Also i would like it to be ready for next year, would you say definatley not, or give it a go.

All best

wolly::bigsmile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
You will meet the motorhomers worst nightmares damp and rust.
Unless you can find a front end right off. Or an old caoch built on a mot failure chassis which hasn't got damp or rust.
Happy hunting.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
For a grand or less you're going to be looking at buckets of poo like these:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

And they'll quite possibly go over a grand but then you've got to get it home, sort out all the crap and neglect from the last thirtyish years etc. Never mind damp, most of these will come with running water.................running down the walls! The frame of the coachbuilt WILL be rotten and require major repair work. If you start off with a bag of sh!t and paint it a pretty colour it will still be a bag of sh!t so you're going to have to spend some serious money on remedial work. Several years ago I completely re-skinned the coachbuilt body of our then motorhome (Autohomes Highwayman) and updated the interior with new kitchen sink and hob and a complete rewire and I spent nine months of my spare time on it and over £3K, and that was buying materials at trade prices!

Sorry if this sounds negative but you ain't gonna get into motorhoming for a grand.

D.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Number 1 son bought a Bedford CF (much better condition than those which Dave pointed out) for about a grand last year as a project. He reckons he will have spent another 4 grand by the time it is properly usable. That includes parts, professional restoration of bodywork and a fair bit of his (and his mate's) time.

He knew it would take that sort of effort and cost so was ready for it. As Dave says, a grand is too small a budget.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Heh Wolly seen some very spritely old Transits and CF in Morroco still going well......::bigsmile:riving2::notworthy:

nowhere else though:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Wally can you swap the pick up for a van ?If so you can get some second hand bits to make a good start for a self build adding to it as and when funds are available
terry
edit Link Removed

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Oi Dave, there my vans !! lol

Waynes world, listen to what Dave said, hes right.

I think a better option would be buying a van to convert, Use your first money to get the best van you can. Then over time start to put water/electric/windows/etc in it. Try the self build forum for ideas and some stunning results.

That way you can add to it as time goes on and you get a few quid together for each bit. Easier to save up £200 for a window than it is to get together 4k or so for something that you might have a chance with.:thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You will definitely have a project with a grand budget! More than you will ever believe.....campers 'scrap' value is around 3 grand, with will buy you a nice damp dog you can lavish anoher few grand on making it look like a old dog that suffers damp.

If that is your budget, and there is no judgement on here at all, just honest answers as peoples budgets vary - I would suggest you find an old demountable body and work with that. You can find the odd ones on ebay that need work for around a grand - it would give you a base to work with....and you can still drive the truck until the body is ready!

There is nothing I can suggest that isn't small or will cost more than that to get to a liveable standard without a self build, which will go into thousands. Unfortunately, even a mostly dry, reasonable looking 25 year old van will still fetch between 8 and 12 grand.

Whatever you choose, make sure it is dry as possible - as damp is absolutely evil and will destroy the whole experience and fun you can have.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I continued to trawl ebay after my last posting and came up with a couple of possibles for under a grand:
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed

D.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi wayne . look for an old caravan . get it lifted on to the pickup back . ideally with out the axle being left on . hopefully this might give you an idea .
you would possibly require a smaller caravan. this was on a merc 207 van .the back got cut off and fitted where it fitted .make the join how ever you can. my mate reckoned this only cost afew hundred quid at the time.

Attachments

• img018.jpg
    img018.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 43

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Broken Link Removed

this one looked like he reversed to far on a caravan site:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats another way of saving a few bob . mind dont let the campsite owner see you do it. ha ha .
but it saves a few shilling. not hard to do and caravans are cheap. there was a firm that all it did a few years ago was convert in this fashion. far cheaper and more luxuriuos than over inflated m,home prices.

OP
OP
W

waynesworld

Free Member
Mar 2, 2012
RADCLIFFE
Funster No
MH
non yet
Exp
Well i guess that campers are expensive no matter what age and condition, and more to fix up, thanks for the replies, it was expected in a way, just wanted some better idea from you on what i should expect, i have priced up a self build demountable for under a few grand to go on my pick up, and all to be done over the time, the biggest layout is the first part being the shell around £800 all in, can easy get an old an C,van to rip out for the fit out, i am all set to build it once a few things are sorted like the build area in the garden, ash base at the minute, i am going to flag it soon.

I have seen some of the chassis cabs with C`vans added on the back, some are hilarious, some not bad.

I used to have an Acty pick up but sold it when i was in bad times, that one for £500 a few have linked to is cheap as hell, the pick up alone is worth that, i would snap that up now if i had a few more notes spare.

Ok i will stick with the demountable for my pick up, in a way be daft no to as i can use it work aswell as holidays and fishing trips. Another thing is with building my own it will be dry and solid and i will know what i have so no nasty things popping up unexpectedly:thumb:

Thanks for the help folks, i will keep updated when i get the build started. I am just doing the MOT work this week, dam steering box has fractured the chassis so it needs replating and new steering box mount to be made.

wolly::bigsmile:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
OK who beat me to it and bought the Honda Acty? I was going to buy that, do it up and make a fortune in easy profit, enough to retire on perhaps:ROFLMAO:.

D.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The other option not mentioned was to buy an old coachbuilt type ambulance and a scrap caravan for parts to fit it out with. The bodyshell on the ambulance will generally be superior to any MH and the mechanics very well maintained. Seen quite a few done to an excellent standard and if done well you would never know of its previous life

one to avoid though is the ex local authority tag axle day centre busses as the chassis lets them down making them money pits.

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
keep an eye on ebay,last year i bought a perfectly dry demountable that was fitted to a mitsubishi l200 single cab pick up .old but VERY DRY ,all there and working, could easily have been used ,and then modernised over time as funds become available.this i have since sold to a man from hull(i think)so keep looking they are out there.steve.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes you can if your lucky get a secondhand demount . i have had a couple .used one on my vw pickup. the other a bit of tidying then sold it . both suntrekkers .but tyhey can fetch good money. these weigh about 750kg if my memory is right

Attachments

• img009.jpg
    img009.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 19
  • img019.jpg
    img019.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 21

buyer

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 29, 2008
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
american coach
Exp
20 plus another 12years tugging/small campers
the pics of vwalans demounts look just like the one i had,old but very useable,and i think good value.good luck with you quest.but personaly i would not like to hold my breath till another one comes along.steve.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
OK who beat me to it and bought the Honda Acty? I was going to buy that, do it up and make a fortune in easy profit, enough to retire on perhaps:ROFLMAO:.

D.

Hi Dave you have to be quick -good vans don't hang around :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
a friend of mine has a transit coach built motorhome that is stripped out for sale in Nottingham, early type with the door at the back of the body, diesel engine, thats all i know about it, can get his phone number for you if interested

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi I have an LDV 400 dormobile bodied community bus (4.2T)that has had a pot bellied stove fitted lots of new units ready to fit, cooker sink etc. no roof leaks. Needs windsreen fixed or replaced, brakes sorting as it has been stood for 4 years + batteries. The hood catch is currently jambed. take it away on a trailer £300 and that includes an almost full tank of diesel, should keep you out of mischief for a while. hee hee. Let me have an email address (PM me) and I'll let you have some photos.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back